Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No more 'Is Born' for Mark Evans
donut

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
No more 'Is Born' for Mark Evans

Sad news, Discovery channel are doing no more of the brill 'Is Born' series. However Mark Evans is trying to continue with similar projects. Heres a quote from the Newsletter -yes sad ain't i

"Finally for now, some sad news for fans of my "Is Born" series. On my return from the Classic Motor Show, I picked up an email from Discovery informing me that a decision has been made not to commission any new, long-running, instructional, workshop-based series. The bottom line - IS BORN IS OVER. It's official.

It's been a fantastic few years and I am grateful to Discovery for offering me the chance to share my workshop exploits with you. As for the future, it's too early to say. Rest assured, Les and I are really keen to continue restoring classic cars and bikes (in our own inimitable way) and I am now off to explore any and all avenues that might enable us to bring you the results on TV, DVD or both. Wish me luck."

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daz

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
bound to bring out some dvd's, be a fool not to
David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Already available!

I'm not surprised that the series is ending - there was no obvious "next project". I'm sure he'll re-appear somewhere...

David

[Edited on 14/11/05 by David Jenkins]

greggors84

posted on 14/11/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
We were talking about this the other day, does he keep all the projects? I the last one i saw was "A Plane in Born", when he went to the airfield for flying lessons he drove there in the Cobra that he built in the first one he did "A car is born" (was that the first?)

In "A Plane is Born" he had the inspector come round a bit like the SVA man, but this was before he had really started building it, it was to make sure that the building conditions were good and he had suitable places to store everything like resin and matting. They also checked to make sure his build table was perfectly flat. I guess more damage can be done from a plane falling out the sky than a wheel coming off a car.

Great series though and imagine what his garage must be like if he gets to keep all the vehicles he builds!

Cobra Replica
E type Jag
Classic Harley (?)
Off Road SWB Defender
Racing Westfield
Helicopter
Light Aeroplane

Im sure i have missed one or two...

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

donut

posted on 14/11/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
The Cobra i know was sold as the buyer turned up on the cobra forum i look ar on the odd occasion.

The Westfield was always owned by Westfield and it was for sale at one of the shows the year before last. A friend of mine drove it last year and said it was really badly set up and drove crap.

[Edited on 14/11/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 14/11/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
great shows, and a likeable chap. I only saw a few plane ones and the mgb one, but thought it a good idea. He'll be back...

question is, where did he start? im sure i remember him off a childrens show years ago, just cant pin him down...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
he started with a phone call to a live TV show, in his capacity as a vet - I think he was commenting on something that was said about animal care. I believe that he was very rude about some fat woman with a fat dog!

He was invited on the show, and everything started from there...

David

Howlor

posted on 14/11/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I recall seeing the E-Type for sale in the MotorSport magazine a couple of years ago for something like £80K. If my memory serves me correct it cost him £120K to build!

Find them all very good and even my wife likes them as it is all explained well.

daz

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
would be pretty cool if he decides to design and build his own unique car, would make a good dvd box set
donut

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
The E Type cost him £87,000 to build if memory serves me well. A car is reborn is on real time at the moment so i'll see what it was exactly. Yes i'm very sad!!

Andy

akumabito

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well, it was to be expected the series ended some time.. Imean, what could he ossibly have built next?

All new series: A Cruiseship is Born!

donut

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
A baby ?

Now that would be funny!

Andy

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
He could have built a sprint boat like they race in New Zealand.
Now that's a gas guzzler! 10 Gallon/min.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Considering his previous shows, he may well end up doing another DIY thing (he's done many in the past).

David

steve_gus

posted on 14/11/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
A baby ?

Now that would be funny!

Ive done that.

a few mins of pleasure, followed by nothing for nine months, then a lifetime of expense.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

millenniumtree

posted on 14/11/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
85,000 quid for the e-type. I have the series on my computer.

I also have a 4x4 is born, a racing car is born, and a car is born.

Who's the nerd?

Confused but excited.

posted on 16/11/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
By definition that would be the guy with it all on his computer !

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.