Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Front Uprights / Brake Discs Questions
Sirius

posted on 17/11/05 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Front Uprights / Brake Discs Questions

I am looking at starting a build some time in the first half of next year, its alomost certain that whatever I build will use a sierra donor so even though I havent fully made a decision on the kit I thought it would be a nice idea to start collecting a pile of parts.

I have used the search and had a look through the old posts but havent been able to find a conclusive answer to my query.

From what I have read I think that there are basically 2 types of sierra front hub early and late (excluding cosworth and 4wd variants) but that these two types have the same geometry. I also believe that there are two types of disc and calipers 239mm and 260mm.

So onto my questions

1) Are the larger discs and calipers compatible with both types of upright?

2) Is one of the upright types "lighter/stronger/better" than the other?

3) What equipment is needed to change a wheelbearing in one of these hubs? Is a hydraulic press normally needed?

Thanks

smart51

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the 260mm disc are only on the performace models. 240mm discs provide more than enough stopping power and weigh less which is a good thing. Smaller engined sierras has solid discs whereas the larger ones had vented discs. The calipers are different so get the ones that you want. For road use, the solid discs are more than enough and are lighter so these maybe the ones to go for. They're probably also cheaper.

The bearings are a press fit and so it is best to use a press to fit them. Find a nice friendly garage to press them in for you if you don't have / don't have at work / don't know someone who has a bearing press.

I rounded up my donor parts before my kit was delivered. I stripped them, painted them and replaces the bearings and seals whilst I was waiting for delivery. When you kit arrives, you will be ready to just bolt them on.

TimC

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
If and when I will be using the solids on the front.

Vented set-up is bloody heavy and massive overkill for such a light car!

RichieC

posted on 18/11/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh, same here, solid 240mm fronts.

They are a bit lighter and a lot cheaper (tenner a side).

There are various arguments for and against but I like the idea of them heating up quicker and therefore being more eefective. Some say that vented discs will take longer to warm up due to the extra cooling effect and the fact there is so much ventilation on a kit.

Dont worry either way though, its often more down tot which donor car you find.

It was the 1.3 and some 1.6 Sierras which had the 239.5mm (as theyre listed) discs.

Rgds

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.