Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting problems please help!
xxx

posted on 18/11/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Starting problems please help!

Ill tell you the whole story to help:

Driving perfectly well,

Then came to a stop at some traffic lights and it was trying to cut out! Had to keep the revs up to prevent it from stalling. Got it off the road to have a look, went to start it again and it wouldnt start (was turning over fine though)

Towed back to garage, when investigating figured it was an electrical problem because there was no spark so called the aa out! He said it was the electronic ignition module (little black box next to the distributor) has replaced it and we got a spark.

He proceeded to try and start it for about an hour but gave up blaming the cold weather!

I had look the next day, tried to start it and nothing! Realised the starter solinoid had gone (proberly due to the number of times he tried to start it). Replaced this.

Now went I go to start (with another car to "jump start" it, so plenty of power) it just chuggs over, it doesnt seem to turn over as it should, no speed there I dont think! Could the starter motor of gearing have gone?

Sorry for this lengthy post guys but it may just help!

Thanks

Colin

romer

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
You sure the engine hasn't "nipped up" for some reason?

Water temperature ok?
Any air locks in coolant?
Oil levels?

Might be worth just checking these also if the engine is "sluggish" to turn over even with extra battery power.

Good luck!!

Romer

Ketchup

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
what car is it for a start? could be an immobilser fault, or a crank sensor failure, as this will stop the ignition/fuel system from working if the ecu is not getting a signal, or it is out of range.

turn the ignition on without cranking, and keep an ear open for the fuel pump priming buzz... older veedubs have probs with dry joints on the fuel pump relays, as do many french motors.

just some points to check, start with the basics, can it get air, does it have a spark, is fuel getting through.. blah blah

xxx

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys! yea sorry i forgot to mention its a 1300 xflow! definately fuel getting to it, there is now a spark and air should have no problem getting in, everything else seems in order.

Colin

iank

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
If it isn't getting up to speed on the starter I'd check that first. Sounds like it might have been cooked by the extended starting attempts.

Also check the wiring to the starter to make sure that didn't overheat.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/11/05 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
2 thoughts...

Check your earth connection from the engine to the chassis, as well as the battery leads.

I presume you've got a Bosch electronic dizzy like mine, with an electronic module screwed to the side. When you replaced it, did you put any heat-conducting paste under it? Not having any won't stop the engine starting, but will shorten the life of the unit. You can get some from Maplins, if you have one nearby (or get it on-line).

Apart from that, I'd see if a fresh battery will get it going (jump-leads), see if you've drowned it while cranking all the time, etc.

rgds,
David

JoelP

posted on 18/11/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
my moneys on the starter, i buggered one on a diesel trying to draw fuel though. Got it rewound for £30

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 18/11/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Check the timing if you've done anything to it. If it's moved and you're too advanced it will be reluctant to turn over. You will have a spark but in the wrong place.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 18/11/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
As already mentioned the ignition timing may be out causing it to sound like a flat battery/faulty starter. Did the AA guy remove the distributor to fit the module? or turn it to gain access ?.
xxx

posted on 19/11/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again ,yes he did knock the timing out! I have set it by getting the tdc and lining up the two marks, one on the rotor and one on the outer circle! this should be roughly set (enough for it to start) yea?

Cheers

Colin

Baldrick

posted on 20/11/05 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
1. re Timing - check you're not 180 deg out - very easy to do. Your other post under engines has lots of good advice re. setting the timing.
2. My starter became very laboured and eventually stopped. Found it was the main +ve connection on the starter itself. The thick braided wire from the terminal post into the starter had parted company with the terminal. A quick resolder (had to take out starter) and it spins over a treat now.

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/11/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I have just had to replace both the starter motor and the solenoid on my car. I think the starter went first and the the solenoid followed as I continued to try and start the engine.
The solonoid was only 12 months old but cost about £7.50 to replace and I was lucky as my bro found the starter for £25.00 inc. postage from Ebay.

Been working fine since.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
xxx

posted on 8/2/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
So far I have had 2 AA men out, replaced the coil, ignition module, solenoid and the tank of fuel! Still no joy, it is now definately sparking and getting fuel. It turns over and sort of sounds like it wants to go but then the starter disengages and therefore doesnt start. As a few of you have suggested Im thinking of getting a new motor, does anyone know where the best place to get one from is? Its for a 1300 xflow!

I found this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FIESTA-INERTIA-STARTER-MOTOR_W0QQitemZ4610394188QQcategoryZ21654QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that what I need? Fair price?

Thanks again!

Colin

britishtrident

posted on 8/2/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the ignition is now over advanced.

Reduce the static ignition advance.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.