Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA fail:(
Simon

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
SVA fail:(

Not that disappointed really.

Few points, mostly minor, and one major.

Minor points involve spring brackets need covering - got the rest, just missed them.

Steel tube above passenger shins needs covering.

Steering wheel incompatible with column and fail on radii so replace with Sierra item.

Couple of loose wires need tidying.

Speedo read 70 and it was doing 81. Ooops.

Brake fluid reservoir switch didn't work - checked already and it's the contacts inside so will renew.

Major point was bonnet. Driver doesn't have full unobstructed view of road.,

Noise test went basically - "I'm not going to test sound because you're allowed 101db and that makes my ears hurt.

No checks on mirrors from what I could tell. Maybe had a quick look while he was in it.

Self centering ok.

Brakes all fine.

"Nice solid, well built example" he said.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 28/11/05 by Simon]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
gutted! how do you plan to get around the bonnet problem ?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Deckman001

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
EEK, Bonnets a bit of a problem,,, Well done on the rest though not much to do to rectify those faults,what speedo have you used, maybe someone on here can help with the calibration ??
All in all well done matey

So exhaust was well under then ?? or you were well over 101 db and it 'might' have hurt his ears ??

Jason

[Edited on 28/11/05 by Deckman001]

jonbeedle

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by incompatible steering wheel? Either it fits or it doesn't.
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
gutted! how do you plan to get around the bonnet problem ?

Make the seat higher! if you need to you can raise the harness bolts up a bit with spacers

Rich.

Deckman001

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
With the view issue, would the headlights contribute to this ?? they look a tadge high ??

Jason

John Watts

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Would sitting on a couple of cushions do it?
andytmc

posted on 28/11/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck, bonnet requires a bit of lateral thinking. Is there anything under the scoop?

Jon - I had the same problem with a Mountney wheel at SVA. The tester said that a 3rd party wheel with a sierra collapsible column didn't qualify as a complete manufacturers unit, he said it didn't provide sufficient protection unless it had the original wheel on. I struggle to see what difference it would make, as the collapsible bit is in the column. 3rd party wheel would be OK with a collapsible boss.

Andy

Simon

posted on 28/11/05 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the sympathy chaps.

Bonnet - no idea yet, but a major cut and shut sounds the favourite option at the moment.

Jon,

Steering wheel - my thoughts exactly, but he was alright really. I think his point was the type approved column incl wheel. Even though my rack is severely shortened etc!

Jason,

Speedo is a Caerbont jobby. I calibrated it my measuring diameter, the multiplying ly pi etc etc. I'll roll it out over a few yards, maybe more accurate?

Andytmc,

yeah, couple of SU's abouy 1/2" below top of scoop.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a weber 500

Anyway, done a couple of the jobs!

One thing I forgot to mention was my front wheels were outside of the body floorplan, which basically means the arch tops need to be further forward then wheels (not the tyres). Said I get 14" wheels.

ATB

Simon

Humbug

posted on 28/11/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck, mate. Most of the things sound not too bad to fix.

Interesting about the steering wheel - I passed at Gillingham (I think that's where you said you were going?) with a Sierra column + Mountney wheel with SVA pad. Which tester did you get?

The bonnet's a bit of a poser. Good luck with that - could you remake the bulge in perspex so you can see through it?

[Edited on 28.11.2005 by Humbug]

mark chandler

posted on 28/11/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve got a set of 14" wheels you can borrow and live in Wadhurst.

Have you thought about EFI, I have a pile of old RR stuff including most of this !

Regards Mark

Petemate

posted on 29/11/05 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I would think you could challenge the steering wheel matter. I passed at LeightonBuzzard with a Mountney wheel & SVA pad. A Sierra steering wheel has NOT got a collapsible boss - it is merely padded, IMO no more than the surface of a Mountney pad. The "collapsible" element of the Sierra set-up is, as previously stated, the COLUMN - outer is corrugated, and crushes, in turn pushing the triangular inner column down into the lower tube. I think STATUS should take up this matter on behalf of the kit-building fraternity. It is really annoying to learn of examiners applying their own rules on this sort of thing.
Rant over
Pete

Baldrick

posted on 29/11/05 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Judging by the pic's in your archive you could loose quite a bit from the front of your scoop. maybe just make up a temp. Ally bonnet with the smallest bulge you can get away with. Certainly raising the seats will help a lot - even an inch or so.
Very impressed you squeezed the V8 in, I had planned on it - even got the engine, but chickened out.

NS Dev

posted on 29/11/05 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Cheers for the sympathy chaps.

Bonnet - no idea yet, but a major cut and shut sounds the favourite option at the moment.

Jon,

Steering wheel - my thoughts exactly, but he was alright really. I think his point was the type approved column incl wheel. Even though my rack is severely shortened etc!

Jason,

Speedo is a Caerbont jobby. I calibrated it my measuring diameter, the multiplying ly pi etc etc. I'll roll it out over a few yards, maybe more accurate?

Andytmc,

yeah, couple of SU's abouy 1/2" below top of scoop.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a weber 500

Anyway, done a couple of the jobs!

One thing I forgot to mention was my front wheels were outside of the body floorplan, which basically means the arch tops need to be further forward then wheels (not the tyres). Said I get 14" wheels.

ATB

Simon

have a look on the westfield forum, in the techie talk section there's a chap converting a rover v8 westy from a weber to meagsquirt and i noticed he wanted to sell the weber and manifold, might be worth a try?

bimbleuk

posted on 29/11/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
As said try a higher seating position and raise the rear ride height to get more rake on the car.
David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
The bonnet doesn't look THAT high - I'd go for a higher seating position for the SVA (as long as you don't go below the minimum height for the seatbelt top strap fixings.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.