Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My Front End Bones Sorted...
Avoneer

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
My Front End Bones Sorted...

Finally finished (apart from a bit of fettling and painting) my front end.

What do you think? Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
And another pic: Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
And another pic: Rescued attachment 3.jpg
Rescued attachment 3.jpg

ned

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
who's lower wishbones are they? as in who made/designed them?

I'm not sure on the bends on the lower bones.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Avoneer

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ooo, knew someone would mention them!

But they came from Mr Keenan himelf so I have no doubts or worries at all about them!

They're really nicely made as well.

Top bones are rose jointed so I have maximum control over caster!

Pat...

[Edited on 3/12/05 by Avoneer]

Volvorsport

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
top bone looks awesome!!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Avoneer

posted on 3/12/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, shame no one makes them like that

They could prove useful for a lot of folk!

Better pic of lower bone - the plate is nice and thick and welded down the centres of the 1" thick walled tube!

The'ye not going anywhere!

Pat... Rescued attachment 4.jpg
Rescued attachment 4.jpg

Russ-Turner

posted on 3/12/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice! Can you get internally threaded tube to match the top ball joint on-line?

Hellfire

posted on 3/12/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nice welding

I'm not too sure about the upper shock mounting though. I reckon it needs a bit more than a lick of paint

Phil

Peteff

posted on 3/12/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too sure about the upper shock mounting though

Next size up on the tiewraps do you reckon, or just a couple more? I can't see a problem with the bend, it's where the plate fastens on the inside and the tube's heavy stuff 3mm wall if it's what Martin uses.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Avoneer

posted on 3/12/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sure it's 3mm, but I'll ask him out of curiosity.

Though about getting rose jointed bottom as well - but the setting up and variables this would produce hurt my head.

P.S. Martin only made the bottom ones, the top were made to order by Volvorsport on here - nice job as well.

As for the tie wraps, I though I'd use a miniature plastic clamp instead, once I get one of the market tomorrow!

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 4/12/05 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, bottom bones will be poly bushed (the one fitted to the chassis is poly bushed, but they are hard to see).

Kink is due to my brackets being further apart than the ones that the plate was originally designed for, but as I said before, they were made by Mr Keenan and I have no doubts at all about them ever "letting go".

Pat...

Syd Bridge

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
After all the mud that was slung at me regarding the underengineered wishbones, it looks as though Mr.Keenan at least, has upped his game.

Well done, those wishbones look about right and acceptable, and if the material sizes are as described, then there should be little to worry about.

Well done, Mr.Keenan.

But why the bend, which compromises an otherwise acceptable appearing design?

Regards,
Syd.

Avoneer

posted on 4/12/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Syd,

Kink is because my moutning brackets were further apart (from my previous bones) than the pre-cut plate and the easiest way to get them to match my bracket location.

Doesn't bother me one bit!

Pat...

caber

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Russ

You can get pre threaded tube from lolocost but you will still need to run a tap or a threadchaser through once they are welded as the tube is bound to distort a bit. Aparently the cheapest useful thread chaser is one Machine mart sel for cleaning spark plug threads, it is Metric fine 18 X 1.5

Best of luck

Caber

Rorty

posted on 5/12/05 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
I like the fusible (bent) lower link!
Pat, how do you plan to adjust the castor with the upper wishbone?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Syd Bridge

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes Rorty, you would say that.

But,..any properly qualified professional engineer would know that the bend compromises the integrity in compression.

Then again, I did say 'properly qualified professional engineer'.

Syd.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap shot...

Syd Bridge

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not aimed at MK in any way....

It's creditable that he has upped tube size and thickness, moved the shock mount out, and chnged the plate arrangement. Looks very similar to GTS stuff.....

And I appreciate why the bend is there, but it is just a pity that the tubes were bent to fit the (already cut?) plate, and new plates weren't made for the application.

Syd.

Avoneer

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, fair enough Syd, but that's that. At the end of the day, they can only be a vast improvement on the original book design that have served so many for so well.

Rorty - I plan on packing out the top rose joints with washers and hence the top mounting points can be moved towards the front of the car or towards the back of the car quite a bit in either direction, adjusting the top ball joint in relation to the bottom one. It worries me a bit you asking that as it looks straight forward unless you're asking an open question and you know something I don't - which won't be a bad thing as I take on board everything you say and adjust things accordingly.

Cheers,

Pat...

NS Dev

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry!!

The washer packing is a commonly used setup and is great. Yes it is a bit of a pain and you end up needing about 10 fingers to hold all the washers but it's not the sort of thing you do very often, and it's cheap and effective. It's what I will be doing on my car when I replace the bought upper wishbones with proper ones made by me!

A common setup on autograss cars, certainly nothing to worry about.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be bad practice to adjust the castor using the threads of the rosejoints? I know this would also alter the camber, but that change could be adjusted out.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Avoneer

posted on 5/12/05 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I though about this and have a load of adjustment in many planes so I'll do whicever is easiest when the times comes.

Glad I din't do the bottom ones as well - that would be a nightmare to set up.

Pat...

Rorty

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Rorty - I plan on packing out the top rose joints with washers and hence the top mounting points can be moved towards the front of the car or towards the back of the car quite a bit in either direction, adjusting the top ball joint in relation to the bottom one. It worries me a bit you asking that as it looks straight forward unless you're asking an open question and you know something I don't - which won't be a bad thing as I take on board everything you say and adjust things accordingly.

Cheers,

Pat...

That's exactly what I was getting at. As long as you plan moving the upper wishbone by shimming it, because as I'm sure you're aware, screwing the rodends in and out won't work because the width of the base of the triangle (that the wishbone forms) would alter and put stresses on the rod ends, causing them to bind and wear prematurely.
The only way your wishbone could be altered via the rodends would be if it had an adjustable link near the outer end of it. Rescued attachment wishbone_07.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbone_07.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Avoneer

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - thanks anyway Rorty.

Now where did I put all those 1/2" washers???

Pat...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.