Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY IRS chassis
jk

posted on 9/12/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
DIY IRS chassis

Am swaying towards making my own chassis- no probs with technical aspect and i reckon (after reading around) that the satisfaction factor will be pretty good.

Thing is, i'd like to do the 442 version (that is 4 longer, 4 wider and 2 taller, right?) but must have IRS, and pref double wishbone- i know GTS do plans for w7de but i'm not too interested in de dion.

Anyone know of any plans/advice?

This site is seriously addictive.

Viper

posted on 9/12/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.mcsorley.net/locost/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jk

posted on 9/12/05 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
hmm i'm aware of the mcsorley plans but they're live axle.

Don't know why i'm set on bones- Is there anything wrong with de dion?

CommanderAce

posted on 9/12/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
de dion, it lighter then IRS, simpler, probably cheaper too, its what I'm going for. There are some good plans for them too, Rorty released some about a month ago

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!

scotty g

posted on 9/12/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going with the GTS de-dion, its so easy mate, keep it simple. Cheers
Scotty G.

flak monkey

posted on 9/12/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
The Rorty plans are hosted on my site. They are for a standard track car.

You will find a lot of people going for De Dion now as its so easy.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Bob C

posted on 9/12/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty also did wishbone IRS plans based on Sierra mechanics. I did wishbone IRS based on mx5 uprights for my build but that's on a standard sized car. You're welcome to copy my setup (click the www button below) though you'd want to change some stuff for a wide car. In spite of what folk say the wishbone version isn't too hard esp. when someone's been down the route before & debugged it! The de-dion is only easier if you get one ready made I reckon!
When I asked if anyone had measured their unsprung weight with bathroom scales recently, another sierra based IRS builder came in at the same as me (31kg per back corner) but no live axle or dedion builders shared their final results, but the consensus seemed to be that dedion would be generally 1 to 3kg more & live axle 15kg more (I'd still like to see some measurements!).
Also my setup has not been driven yet so I can't make any claims for its dynamics. Quite a few builders have copied the Tiger Avon back- end, but I didn't like the look of it. The MK indy also has sierra based IRS so you should be able to find enough photos on here (and obliging builders with tape measures) to do a reasonable chinese copy of that.
cheers
Bob C

scotmac

posted on 9/12/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Was there supposed to be a link in that post Bob? Or am i just going blind (probably)!!!

Oh, i see the VERY small www below the posts!!!

[Edited on 9/12/05 by scotmac]

flak monkey

posted on 9/12/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
Rorty also did wishbone IRS plans based on Sierra mechanics.

Yes the ones on mys ite are designed for sierra running gear. But are for a standard width chassis. Its no problem to adapt them to suit a +4 car though!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi jk,

You'd be more than welcome to look at mine. It's 4" wider than most.

Oooer, perhaps I should start this post again.

Hi Bob,

What happened to all those weights?

I reckon they broke their scales.

Paul G

caber

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
There are plans in the book build your own Tiger Avon Sports Car including details of fabricated rear uprights. I have been around this loop and have ended up back at a live rear axle. Should be easier and quicker to build for a first time effort, that's what i thought anyway!

Caber

rusiq

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Sierra/Merkur Based IRS Drawings. Download CAD files.
Mix

posted on 10/12/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be swayed by the DeDion mob, most of their advice / experience is based around buying a De Dion set up off the shelf. If you intend to build it yourself and are prepared to do the research then I think IRS is probably just as easy.
In fact probably easier from the point of veiw that;
most of us don't have the facility to form the DeDion tube,
DeDion has very little in built adjustment so tolerances during manufacture are more critical
IRS has more componenents but they tend to be smaller and hence more manageable in the garage.
As long as you're prepared for the build to take a little longer then there is no reason not to go IRS.

Mick

kb58

posted on 10/12/05 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Also there's the overlooked issue of camber compensation. The De Dion acts just like a straight axle in turns, with the outside tire wearing more on the outside edge. IRS fixes that (or CAN fix it.)

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 10/12/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Now u got me thinking Caber..... methink's
a direct comparisson between the three chassis/cars were building might be in order. 1.Live axle 2. IRS (Sierra or bmw) rear 3. Inboard coilovers/suspension front and rear for my own car. Pity the powerplants are all going to be different then it really would be interesting. All we now need is three drivers the same weight and were cooking! Lead ballast or beer to compensate Whats it going to be
regards
Shug.

Triton

posted on 10/12/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
DD axle is easy to make, cut n shut the tube don't bend it.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

NS Dev

posted on 10/12/05 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderAce
de dion, it lighter then IRS, simpler, probably cheaper too, its what I'm going for. There are some good plans for them too, Rorty released some about a month ago

De dion, in my opinion, is the optimum setup for these cars........which is a shame as i am building wishbone irs!!

CommanderAce

posted on 10/12/05 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
De dion, in my opinion, is the optimum setup for these cars........which is a shame as i am building wishbone irs!!

Doh! *head smacking action*

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yep!!!

Long story.........wanted the cateringvan-esque look. Wanted to buy a fair bit of it as I have too many other things on the go to make everything. Stuart Taylor car fitted the bill on those points........but he only does live axle or wishbone IRS.

Thought about buying a live axle "kit" and converting to de-dion, but really wanted to keep as much as poss off the shelf to minimise build time.................................I have now reengineered so much I might as well have built from scratch!

Viper

posted on 11/12/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Yep!!!

Long story.........wanted the cateringvan-esque look. Wanted to buy a fair bit of it as I have too many other things on the go to make everything. Stuart Taylor car fitted the bill on those points........but he only does live axle or wishbone IRS.

Thought about buying a live axle "kit" and converting to de-dion, but really wanted to keep as much as poss off the shelf to minimise build time.................................I have now reengineered so much I might as well have built from scratch!

i know exactley how you feel mate.

caber

posted on 11/12/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Shug, I have 2 Pinto 1600s and I think another was offered on the twin engine thread! We could start with these, you will need to put on a fair bit of weight to catch up with me, I think a diet of 5 pints and 3 curries a night between now and the end of build might just do it all we need is a third volunteer, Actually Oli has a 1600 in his car with a stock sierra back end and would only need 1 curry a night to catch up on the weight stakes. . . . That would also mean 2 Edinburghers versus one Wegie to add to the competitive aspect .....

Caber

Hugh Paterson

posted on 11/12/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He called me a Wegie....now thats fighting talk We meet at dawn on the Hill (Knock) As the saying goes "a Glasgow funeral is the same as an Edinburgh Wedding" You ever seen what happens when the welding flaw in a bottom wishbone gives out as yer flying through Clark??
Shug.

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
really does annoy doesn't it, that feeling of......."well, it should be ok, but I wouldn't have done it that way, much better this way...........won't take many hours to remake it nicely"

DOH!!!!!

Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss..........wish I was better at ignorance!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.