Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 4L Engine in a Indy
knobby

posted on 12/12/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
4L Engine in a Indy

Hi Guys

Anyone put a 4L engine in an Indy!

if so pros and cons please.. performance etc??

Cheers

Knobby

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 12/12/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Which engine? Rover V8, no probs. There are a few doing it here. Small block American...not so good as they are too big (i think) and if they have an iron block, too darn heavy.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
PROs :powerfull, lovely noise

cons: expensive to build and run

performance:a sludged up old smoking rv8 will struggle against a half decent pinto and a sorted rv8 anything from 200-300bhp . weight wise i would think real world around 700 to 750 kg most bike engined cars are around 500kg mark and a tired rv8 will push out around 100bhp at the wheels

Simon

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Look for a Chevy LS1.

This should convince you:

http://www.chevroletls1.com/chevrolet_ls1_6_info.html

I'm not building an MK but book plus 4". Wish I'd known about these.

ATB

Simon

Bouldy

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Im converting from a blackbird to a rover V8 . Engine is in just going for exhausts. Not as many mods as people think certainly no chassis chopping as lots of people including MK have said.

They are quite expensive to tune , but that sound and all that torque you cant beat it.

knobby

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys..

its a rover 3.9 V8 from a Rover SDi with a big weber carb (40 I think). Most other parts are ford. It has a limited slip diff and has a sports box. (slightly stretched ratios as there is so much torque).

Its a built car just wondered what they were like.. Bet they sound good...

Knobby

Bouldy

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody awsome, are you buying the car?
knobby

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
In the process at the moment.. Just wanted to get feedback on the engine and performance. because i know these big engines can ruin ride.

All comments appreicated.

thanks

Knobby

ditchlewis

posted on 13/12/05 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I go along with Simon

the LS6 is smaller and lighter than the rover and much cheaper to tune, with heaps of potential

keeping it on the road and getting the power down may be a problem though

Ditch

froggy

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
these ls1 engines are the way forward but in a locost not a prayer of getting any traction and as far as tuning i cant see any need for it as they put over 300 hp as stock .certainly not cheap though but in time they will become more common. at present it looks like an engine and box with management is around 6k

oh knobby this (sports) box sounds a bit max power if anything it might be vittese box which has slightly taller first gear and will have eleventy billion miles on it by now . the motor sounds like an early range rover lump ,if its got a weber carb it should be an edelbrock 500cfm usually with a big 14 chrome fiter over it,tell me to f%%k off but take your time looking at the engine drive it for a decent distance and see how the cooling system copes while stationary, im not being a smartarse but a rover v8 still sounds lovely when its knackered , oil pressure will be crap if you get 15+ ticking over and anything around 30+ driving it is fairly fit

knobby

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
thats for the info.. dont u worry i shall be asking lots of questions and taking her for a good drive!

Any comments on performance?

Cheers

Knobby!

froggy

posted on 13/12/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
il have to be carefull here or the bike engined nancies will start crying that car could have at best 220-240 bhp dependant on spec but a fairly healthy stock 3.9 will have 200 at the flywheel the car probably weighs 750kg so around the 250bhp/tonne mark .imo the main difference is the way the v8 delivers its power .not as quick as you might think but the sound alone is worth it. going slowly never sounded so good
Bouldy

posted on 14/12/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Foggy is right, but if you do spend a few quid and tune it up like putting race cam uprated springs, valves .gas flowed heads and the right carb etc etc you can get them to rev to 6500 - 7000 rpm.
Thats the prob with a standard V8 they only rev to about 4500 rpm .

I read some test figures from a Westfield Seight on the net. it quoted :
Standard Rover V8 3.9 200BHP top speed 138MPH 0-60 5.5 sec.

The tunned ones up around 280 300 BHP
0-60 3.5 TO 4 Secs . have a read.

http://www.seight.net/

All the figures in the test above must be accurate as they have been done on a drag strip over a 1/4 mile.
I no all figures are based on a westfield but they are roughly the same weight.

froggy

posted on 15/12/05 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
il have to disagree there bouldy,stock v8s will rev to 6k if you dont care about the consequences the first one i built years ago had a 285 cam and ported haeds with breathed quite well but only managed 10k before the block was knacked my last two blocks have been crossbolted and touch wood no probs since. glad i stuck with the 3.9 as everybody i know has had trouble with the 4.6

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.