Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: your view on music these days
zxrlocost

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
your view on music these days

Ive been seriously pulling my hair out recently over modern music 90% is crap

would someone kindly explain to me how half of them get recording contracts because it beats me
like that new family band that sung with boy george on jonathan ross and they won the bloody music award apparently

OMG thats the shittest singing ive heard how can they win anything

and as for madonna(I know shes been around a bit longer)

I saw her live on a TV documnetary all those people screaming at her thousand sin the crowd were they seeing some thing different because she sounds like a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to see the four tops and the Temptations the other night

it was a 7,000 sell out mostly under 30's Id say,,

you can see why MOTOWN was the Hit factory
If you want to see some proper singers sing some of the most famous songs ever
(that arent forgotten unlike modern music)they sound exactly like on the records..

there vocal talents are second to none and can not be competed against by todays crop of shite(bar 1 or two)#

rant over

chris

Im now off to listen to DIDO featuring KAtie MEyluiliyaaahhhhh

Ive colaberated it myself

I think ill stick pins in myself and jump off a cliff thats before Ive got two track 2

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Genesis

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Don't listen to it then!!!

Download it from the internet and enjoy the 99.9% of the other great music out there. The X-Factor has a lot to answer for though... "some people" vote for individuals to stay - then when they win they are not seen or heard of again. Just goes to show how little we know about what we really want!

Can anyone name all the winners who have not been heard of since? Oh - that would be almost all of them then

Greenday Rock!

[Edited on 17/12/05 by Genesis]

Going fishin'

zxrlocost

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
mate you cant exactly get away from it ie radio at work etc etc
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Russ-Turner

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Trust me, you're not the only one. There is some good stuff about at the mo, you just have to search for it amongst the crap but of course this depends what you are into. I should have no problem writing a number one with some of the crap that gets to the top of the charts though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
thats exactly what I mean

jonbeedle

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I did a gig with one of the x factor contestants last night. He got down to the last 10 in the last series. He's an awesome singer but he reckons he only got to the last 10 because he was arguing with Simon Cowell and it made good TV. He says that some of the best singers he's ever heard went out of it in the first round and yet Steve Brookstein who is an average pub singer wins it! Where is he now? Says it all really!
There is good music around at the moment but unfortunately it's never played on the radio because they are paid by the record companies to play the same four records every day!
I mean if I'd written that Madonna track I'd have been laughed at. It's only because of who she is that it gets airplay and she didn't get where she is from writing her own songs. In fact ever since she has started writing her own stuff it's been rubbish, but she's established now so she can get away with anything!
I regularly work with great vocalists and songwriters who should be up there at the top but they won't get there because the public are manipulated by the media and the record companies. If people were to wake up and refuse to be spoon fed this dross and were to make an effort to seek out the real music and real talent that is out there then these talentless so called musicians and popstars would disappear and make way for the people who actually deserve to be recognised.
But it won't happen because the general public are gullible and daft!
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CommanderAce

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, modern music sucks big time. Give me 70s and 80s rock any day. 80% of the music I listen to was made before I was even born, but that was only '86 so no big deal.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!

MikeR

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Have to throw a partial spanner in the works.

I think there is a lot of good music out there but its all down to personal taste.

Out clubbing last night and I've come to realise i hate what is now termed R'n'B.

ITS UTTER RUBBISH!

My friends on the other hand seemed to love it. Earlier on they had some (i assume it is i'm terrible remembering what's what) eurphoric trance and i was loving it. At the end of the night it was christmas cheese and again i was loving it.

If you want to try something different i can throughly reconmend Wir Sind Helden. German band but amazing live and they've done a couple of good albums.

StevieSuperSeven

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day people buy what they buy, radio stations play what they're paid to play, idustry folks push what'll make 'em the money for the lowest outlay.
Many so-called credible 'artists' are either pushed or worst still pushers, big names like maddona, u2, try not to hate the x-factor one hit wonders because although their songs are s***e they are only exploited in the same way as the poor saps who spend good money on it.
People should only expect to find what they want from music if they are actually prepared to indulge themselves, and what i mean by that is don't expect to see or hear anything worth a damn on any kind of chart show bacause any performer worth their salt doesnt hand over all the rights to a record firm and therefore the record firm isn't interested in giving them any exposure. The only artists who get the exposure they deserve are the ones who do the legwork, performing countless gigs and getting all their own exposure through actually being good, practicing their craft and lifting their listeners out of the kind of chart-induced coma that you guys are refering to. It's not about musical style or taste, motown isn't better than punk isn't better than electro, isnt better than folk or whatever, that kind of talk is pointless. What matters (if music ever really matters [bet that gets someone going]) is that we don't follow suit and just listen to Moyles or whoever just because it's an easy station to find.
Whatever music you can want or imagine is out there. Plenty of music that you might dismiss will become awesome and inspiring if you really listen.
If you really only like The Four Tops then you are quite lucky as all their music is easily obtainable on cd so bung it in your player and sing your self stupid instead of getting upset with the plasticons on the radio!!

Rant over. Sorry

lewis635

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst on one hand i agree that most of the music is utter crap, x-factor etc.
I think that there has been some fantastic bands this year, kaiser chiefs, Daniel powter, magic numbers.
we need to get away from the manufactured artists and start trawling the pubs and clubs for acts, Bands that have experienced life travelling around the country in a transit van

Noodle

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think things are the same as they always have been apart from way to much X-Factor-esque stuff.

The stuff that we like from yonks ago, was the best of it's time. The contemporary stuff that's any good will also stand up over time.

The hyperbole surrounding it will always remain while people opt to listen to radio stations that choose to push it.

The public gets what the public wants! Now there's an old track.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Russ-Turner

posted on 17/12/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think cover versions get on my tits the most!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think maddona`s time is up when she has to resort to using abbas music to get in to the charts. Same for a lot of other artists.....
Not a lot of original music to be had....
A lot of the rap gets to me......cant they sing and they always have booty and chaved up cars with chaved up pups in there videos.

Gorrilas are great a breath of fresh air....

Jasper

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
R & B - that's wot get's me most - it's such UTTER talentless crap. And what gets me the most is how did they get to hijack the name R & B. A few years ago when I hung out in pubs a lot, R & B was three of four guys playing 'Blues Brothers' style music, I remember one particular band in Brighton like this called 'Otis Lift and the Elevators' - totally excellent entertainment.

Anybody describing themselves as an R & B singer today should be taken 'out the back' and shot, starting with Craig David. Luckily my daughter has grown out of him now at the age of 12 and is more in the Chilli Peppers, Eminem and Green Day. She keeps talking about being a rock/goth chick, so we'll soon get her onto Pearl Jam and Bauhaus....

donut

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

when I hung out in pubs a lot

Was this in Brighton????

Pearl Jam...now were talking!

ALL manufactured bands should be taken out back and shot then burried in one big pit!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

akumabito

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Born in '83, but most of the music I listen to is a quite a bit older! A quick look at my playlist..

AC/DC
The Animals
Black Sabbath
The Doors
Guns 'n' Roses
Iron Maiden
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
ZZ Top

Now I do have a lot of newer songs as well... but I wouldn't buy a CD anymore (mainly because most CD's are rediculously expnsive! No way in hell I'm paying 40 euros for a CD!) The way I see it, artists shouldn't be whining about lost income anyways. It only shows they don't really care about the music. When I really like a band, I wait until they come around for a concert. I'm quite happy to save up and then pay some silly amount to see them live.. it's more fun anyways.

I also like some more 'interesting' music. Corvus Corax tops my list I think when it comes to "new" music. Then there's Hedningarna or Lais... Those are sort of neo-folk bands. The roots of their music usually lies with late medieval songs.. quite interesting. Especially Corvus Corax, their gigs are just plain awesome!

smart51

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
"modern" popular music started in the 50s. It was very basic and not really that good but it was different to what had gone before and young people identified with it as their own.

In the late 60s, established musicians, who weren't very good in their early days, had had a bit of practice and had become quite talented. This was the start of "good" pop music.

The 70s was a mixture of the usual cack plus some really quite tatented people writing thoughtfull stuff, whether you liek their particular style.

This continued into the 80s where musicians music reached its peak, although by then end it had become a bit pretensious.

In about '88, house music started which descended into acid and general 90's tallentless crap. The whole era of the 90's was formulaic 4 bar riffs with 1 line of lyrics repeated until you smashed the radio into tiny pieces. the music industry recruited computer programmers and DJs to write "songs". It was during this time that indy music became popular. There has always been indy music but they were always 2nd rate and so never really sold. Compared with mainstream 90s musicm indy sounded OK as 2nd rate is better than 99th rate.

towards the end of the 90s, actual songs started to appear again with actual lyrics and everything. Now, a proportion of music is writtern and played by real musicians. We do still have to put up with "pop stars" and RnB who are jsut dancers to front corporate cash earners but at least there is some real music to listen to.

There has always been crap in the charts in every era. You think music is bad now? At least we're not in the 90's anymore.

[Edited on 17-12-2005 by smart51]

rusty nuts

posted on 17/12/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a teenager back in the sixties my mum used to say "thay call that music" . Things don't always change. Radio 2 seems to play a good selection most days , Haven't listened to radio 1 for about 15years but have found my taste in music has changed I now like some jazz and opera which I couldn't stand before
Oliver Coles

posted on 17/12/05 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion most modern music is st.
Good tracks in my opinion are

Bill withers- a lovely day
Queen-we are the champions
kaisercheifs- i predict a riot
fanze ferdinand etc

Only 16 and i have already had my midlife crisis

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/12/05 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=478065943467099618

dave1888

posted on 17/12/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Went to see Jools Holland a couple of weeks ago, absolutly fantastic. The band? that gets me spittin teeth is westrife WTF are they all about.
zxrlocost

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
some of these tribute bands could sell out arenas if people realised how good some are

MikeR

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
hold on got to disagree, 90's music......

early 90's stone roses etc - fantastic music (perhaps just cause thats when i was doing my 'a' levels).

What i'm curious about is will people who are 18 now in 15 years time think R'n'B is good?

Actually can we start a campaign, here and now, to get R'n'B renamed to something else? Perhaps B'n'R just anything to distingish it from decent music?

I could go on and on, but i've got a headache and am in a bad enough mood already.

JoelP

posted on 17/12/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
mike, you seem to have a similar position to me! we must be a similar age though im guessing, so maybe it makes sense.

I dont often find music i dont like, in fact its usually annoying tunes that really wee me off, rather than bland tunes. That recent sugababe one was truely dreadful... that said, i like most things from metal to sean paul...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

smart51

posted on 17/12/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
hold on got to disagree, 90's music......
early 90's stone roses etc - fantastic music

The Stone Roses comes under Indy and is quite different from more straight 90s pop: "Funky Drummer" one bar drum pattern and simplistic piano stabs repeated end to end to end to end ...

The roses, perhaps the inspiral carpets and (eventually) the Verve had a few good songs but indy wouldn't have made it except for the complete vacuum of good music inthe mainstream.

Of course there were 1 or 2 good acts still going in the 90s. REM were still at it and Seal was guite good but in every other decade there were loads of good acts in amongst everyone else. from 88 - 98, the music industry turned its back on musicians and I think it shows.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.