Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much to spray a Locost???
pathfinder

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
How much to spray a Locost???

I want the bodywork on my velocity to match the powder coat and it doesn’t look as if I will get a good match in g.r.p. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to get professionally sprayed???
Is there anything specific that I should be asking for when getting quotes???

Cheers chaps

pathfinder

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
www.zx12tiger.com this looks like a neat job!!!

Have they had the panels sprayed first and then fitted them or do they use loads of masking tape???

Bob C

posted on 17/12/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine done in stoke for £400, etch prime, stone guard underneath & matched my gelcoat in 2pack pretty nicely.
I'd already sprayed the steelwork in primer to stop it rusting while I nailed on the aluminium.
Note - one thing I should have doen before spraying was weld on some m6 bolts for earthing electrics... ah well, live & learn
Bob

steve_gus

posted on 17/12/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
ask mark allanson on this site - he worked in a repair shop and has also worked in body refinishing

atb

steve

ps - its unlikely to be cheap - just getting the painted bits of a motorbike done costs 350+

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 17/12/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder
I want the bodywork on my velocity to match the powder coat
Cheers chaps

Powder coat of the chassis?

You don't really see a lot of chassis unless the bonnet's off once the car's built. You sure it's worth it?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
A year or so ago I was told to estimate around £100 per panel - so the ali bits on my car would be around £400 (2 sides, bonnet, rear panel), which matches what people have said above.

I'd guess that the GRP bits may be cheaper, if you remove them from the car - they can be lined up together in the spray booth and done in one go.

This is all guesswork, BTW!

rgds,
David

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
ask mark allanson on this site - he worked in a repair shop and has also worked in body refinishing

atb

steve

ps - its unlikely to be cheap - just getting the painted bits of a motorbike done costs 350+

atb

steve

I wouldn't touch one for less that £800+vat

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hugh Paterson

posted on 18/12/05 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cost of painting

Christ Mark I see a radiator roller and a Tin of Dulux weathershield getting thrown at my car
Shug

iank

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
His Ron'ness mentions a rattlecan paint job looking good in the book of obvious optimism.

Can of NATO green from an army surplus and a brush?

Viper

posted on 19/12/05 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have been quoted between £800 & £1000, that is to sort out the atrocious bodywork of my Avon along with the paint, these prices were on the cheaper side, just for me, because of the amount of work we put there way.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
At all those quotes

New panels shouldnt cost as much as old ones to paint, cos there aint the prep work!

My mate has a spray shop, makes most his money on insurance jobs, so can afford to discount private jobs, for mates

And he dont do half a job cos its cheap! Its still an advert for him! Charging me £150 to spray the panels on my bike! Recons £300 - £400 should see a new kit done depending on colour, what to be sprayed ect ect

Volvorsport

posted on 19/12/05 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
well , at 300 thats almost just the cost of materials to spray it decently .

even with new panels , theres always preparation to do .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

02GF74

posted on 19/12/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I plan to pain mine myself; got the kit, done it before so know I can get a decent finish.

... but has anyone tried to spay using ,the photochromatic paint (you know the stuff, that looks two different coloours depnding on where you view it from)

e.g. .. try to see past the foreground!!

at £300 per litre seems a lot to risk making a balls up of it.

Peteff

posted on 19/12/05 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sit her in the car and nobody will notice your paint . I don't like the flip paints actually, 3 different colours and all insipid from most angles. Most of the cars you see them on are worth less than the paint. I know someone who picked some up cheap as it was a cancelled order which the shop had already mixed.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 19/12/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Sit her in the car and nobody will notice your paint . I don't like the flip paints actually, 3 different colours and all insipid from most angles. Most of the cars you see them on are worth less than the paint. I know someone who picked some up cheap as it was a cancelled order which the shop had already mixed.

that is a bad idea as she would be too distracting unless she puts on undergarments.... but what about DIY spraying with this paint? doable or an expensive mistake?

Peteff

posted on 19/12/05 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
He painted a bike tank and fairing with it using a gravity feed gun and it came out quite well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

PaulBuz

posted on 19/12/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would'nt even consider spraying a flip paint at home, As I understand it, & Mark will no doubt say, this stuff is dependant on the film thickness to get an even effect.
I did spray my car in my garage, but it was a bit of a pain. It turned out okay in the end, but it is more work than you think!

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.