Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto and DCOE's
GlynC

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto and DCOE's

Just in the process of putting a new later injection type head with a new cam etc. on and would appreciate any ideas on a couple of issues.
I have had two conflicting bits of advice when fitting the head, one says they can leak at the inlet manifold joint because of the injector shapes cut into the head, another says it will be OK. I have looked and the standard gasket seems to fit and provide enough of a seal ( although obviously won't know till I get it running!) Anyone have any experience of using this head?
Also I have used Mishab plates between the carbs and the inlet manifold, which I replaced recently. On taking this all apart again they are virtually destroyed between the front carbs (no probs with the rear ones). I only changed these for new less than a 1,000 miles back, whats causing this? It also leads to spitting back through the carb as I guess the mixture is then too weak etc.
Any ideas welcome as I want to get this right for when I stick the new head on!
All suggestion appreciated!
Got the cam from Newmans, they seemed to offer a good cam without wild duration and a decent amount of lift, boy does it make these valves stick out!!

mookaloid

posted on 2/1/06 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
If I recall the advice was to try the manifold and see if it is ok on the injection head. Mine was ok but not all manifolds are the same....

Mishab plates - were the carb nuts the correct tightness? did you use the Thackery washers? did the studs work loose? - just a few guesses.

Hope the cam works for you, are you using a vernier pulley?

Cheers

Mark

GlynC

posted on 3/1/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mark
I was concerned over the fact that if it did leak I wouldn't know which was causing it. if this issue with the mishabs continues
I used Thackery washers, and am now thinking of the ones with the two metal cups and the rubber centres as an alternative. ( Burtons stock them).
Will be getting the studs sorted today so will be able to get on with it this weekend, then hopefully get a decent dry day to try it out. I will be using a vernier pulley to set it up as I think it's worth the additional investment.

Schrodinger

posted on 3/1/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the Mishab washers do not like being soaked in petrol so you may have too much fuel going to the one carb.
If you use the thackery washers they have a habit of braking and allowing too much air in.

regards
Keith
Suffolk

GlynC

posted on 3/1/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith
I'm going to try it with the two metal cups and rubber washers, with new plates. Failing that Burtons have suggested using nylon washers between the carb and manifold. Problem is it gets expensive every time these dam things pop!
Looks like the weekend is mapped out for me!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.