Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Differend Idea for adjustable wishbones
jestre

posted on 3/1/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Differend Idea for adjustable wishbones

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 3/1/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
very nice , but perhaps not so "locost"
jestre

posted on 3/1/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, found them on a 350Z/G35 racing parts site. for $895

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 3/1/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
They look pretty, but heavy and inelegant design. in my opinion.

I don't get quite how the adjuster works, it looks like it's just friction clamped, but that strikes me as daft.

jestre

posted on 3/1/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
to quote the website

quote:
This G35 camber adjustable front control a-arm kit allows for complete camber adjustment of the G35 front suspension. The sliding camber plate design makes camber adjustments quick and easy using just a 13mm wrench. No suspension disassembly is required to change or fine tune your G35's camber. These G35 suspension arms are made from CNC machined aircraft aluminum using a sliding camber plate with mono-ball design. The G35 control arms even come powder coated against corrosion. This G35 suspension kit is complete with the mono-ball that fits in the OEM G35 upright and the spherical bearings that mount to the chassis. Using the mono ball and spherical bearings make the suspension move freely which results in crisper steering. This is the G35 suspension of choice in G35 racing applications and we recommended them for any lowered G35. The sliding camber plate design is so strong that the 350Z race cars in Grand-Am Cup have bent rims without loosing their camber setting!

mak

posted on 3/1/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well if they can afford a carbon-fibre work bench they can afford anything! javascript:icon(''
britishtrident

posted on 3/1/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
not very impressed -- goes to prove you can charge what you want for car bits if they look techie.
MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
They look pretty, but heavy and inelegant design. in my opinion.

I don't get quite how the adjuster works, it looks like it's just friction clamped, but that strikes me as daft.

You can get exactly the same type of upper wishbone for Honda Civics, and they also rely on friction to hold the ball joint in place. In the Honda and (I think) the 350 the upper wishbone is quite a distance from the hub, which minimises the force is sees.

That is a very inelegant design though, the arms of the wishbone are nearly parallel, so it's placing almost pure bending force on these members rather than the tensile/compressive force of a triangulated wishbone.

[Edited on 3/1/06 by MikeRJ]

NS Dev

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
The friction clamp arrangement will be absolutely fine.

If you are worried about that then you'd better not look too closely at many other things on cars!!........take many camshafts for example, take the Zetec engine, cams with no keys, just the friction from the centrebolt holds the pulleys in relation to the cams.......don't worry about clamped fits!

The wishbone does look pretty crap though! Loads of material doing nothing and none where it needs to be!

quattromike

posted on 4/1/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Also I don't think you could be very accurate with the adjustment, just slacken off a bit and hit with a hammer to move it!

Mike

[Edited on 4/1/06 by quattromike]

NS Dev

posted on 4/1/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
aha, it's ok, you need the highly technical tool known as a "podger"

Tapered punch type lever bar!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

gazza285

posted on 4/1/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
A podger is a spanner with a long, tapered point on the end.

I think you possibly mean a heel bar.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

gazza285

posted on 4/1/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just being pedantic (it's a hobby of mine, the wife says).

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.