Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Handbrake cable nipple thingy?
RazMan

posted on 4/1/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Handbrake cable nipple thingy?

I need to shorten my Sierra handbrake cable and need one or two of these.....(sorry for the fuzzy pic)

1. Any ideas where to get them?
2. What is the best method to fix them? Is soldering strong enough?

[Edited on 4-1-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment handbrakenipplethingy.jpg
Rescued attachment handbrakenipplethingy.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambojeef

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Funny you should say that - just done mine 10 minutes ago!

I lapped the steel cable down the side of the cable end into a little hacksaw groove and was going to braze it on but then couldnt find any wire or flux so MIGd it instead.

Seems to be pretty good and hopefully theres not too much flex at that point so the weld wont fatigue.

Hope that helps...?

Geoff

RazMan

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't think about MIGing it!

I'm not exactly a dab hand with the MIG and I would probably make a hash of it. I can handle brazing it though ....... if I had some flux and brazing rod

I know they are available from somewhere but I have forgotten where the pic came from.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambojeef

posted on 4/1/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I just chopped mine off the end of the old sierra one, cut to length and welded it on!

Why buy when you can DIY?

And also, when it breaks it'll give you something to do....

Geoff

RazMan

posted on 4/1/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
... they can be obtaned from any AA /RAC man or can be bought from companys such as mk

Thanks for the tip snoopy

Cheers,
Raz

Chippy

posted on 5/1/06 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
I cut mine of and then drilled it out, which I didn't expect would work, but did. Then just crimped it on again at the correcxt length, which is how there fitted in the first place.
RazMan

posted on 5/1/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I phoned MK and they are sending me a couple at £3 each

Cheers,
Raz

clbarclay

posted on 5/1/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
An alturnative for joining cables together without heat (and potectial side effects) is to use cable clamps. About £3 a pice for small ones and should be avalible at DIY's. Rescued attachment Cable clamp.JPG
Rescued attachment Cable clamp.JPG

MautoK

posted on 9/1/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I got some of those small u-bolt jobbies from a boat chandlers - about 20p each.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.