Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: altinator
tom court

posted on 5/1/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
altinator

i have a tiger cat, the altinator is catching on supension any ideas ???
can i use a different altinator

donut

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
You could try and fabricate a different mount or use a smaller alternator. Mac#1 made a mount for the Pinto.

[Edited on 5/1/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Can you either fit a slightly shorter belt or offset the engine enough to clear it. You could also try stiffer engine mountings -- such as from the old "Series" Land-Rover
tom court

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
could i not use a smaller altinator?
Monkeybasher

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i had similar trouble with the supplied alternator for my avon. I ended up grinding the casing back on the alt and moving the engine slightly. Moving the engine too much resulted in the starter motor hitting the chassis on the other side, that was a fun day never once swore

[Edited on 5/1/06 by Monkeybasher]

02GF74

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom court
could i not use a smaller altinator?

yes if you know which nodel will fit. is there no way to mount it on the other side of the engine like you can with rover v8?

owelly

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hows about some piccies?
I have just fitted a Micra altenatorto solve a clearanc issue.I wasn't smaller butthe mounts were different.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
What engine are you using ? I assume your using a pinto. If, a Lucas alternator from a Series Landrover will fit (£28 brand new) You will need to make a braket from a piece of angle. HTH

"just like that !"

ADD

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
coincidence, I have just come in from scratching my head in the garage over the alternator fouling the chassis. I am building an avon from scratch and thought that it was just another drawing error!. How do tiger overcome this? Do they fabricate their own bracket? If so has anyone got a piccie of one so I can have a go.
marshall

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
ADD have you got some pixs of your avon?
oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've also got a Tiger CAT (pinto power) you need either a Lucas LRA101 (I believe) got mine off ebay for £20, brand new recon unit.....or if it's just the blades on the fan (usually is) you need to take a grinder to the ends and just knock off the corners....I will try and find a pick of what others have done later and post it.....HTH Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

ADD

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have put a couple of pics engine line up 1 & 2 in my archive. Have a look. This was the other day before I tried out the altinator.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.