Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what to do ?
Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
what to do ?

ok well my first car is sorted for a year im going on my mums landy insurance paying the difference to my parents and not paying maintenance petrol tax etc so im saving alot of money but not building a years no claims but its ok

so basically as soon as i get a job since im fairly used to not going out too often because i was saving for a car ill have a fair bit of disposeable income well all my wages ....

the question is do i save for a starter or duluxe kit from one of the kit manufacturers or do i build one myself having never mig welded before all ive done is some braising at school ...

my dad is a process metalurgist and knows all the theory of welding and what it should sound / look like but hasnt had much practice in the last 5 years

also the garage situation i have a double garage at home but its full of pooltable and tablefootball table and dart board and sofa and stereo so i cant work there ... i have acess to my aunties single councill garage and a landrover to move equipment between when i need to use it so that could be useable its a fairly wide one wider then average (its on the end and they built it too long bu didnt realise till it came to the last one and had to order an extra wide door and its long enough for a vauxhall carlton and a small offroad buggy so i should have space.

but the question is should i attempt a complete self build would most liekly be + 442 if i do because im pretty big

i know that £250 wont do it more like £2500 with ALOT of good bargains and more like £4000 for a good example with some nice extras

but im not sure what to do

Chippy

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

so basically as soon as i get a job since im fairly used to not going out too often because i was saving for a car ill have a fair bit of disposeable income well all my wages ....

What dont you feel that you should contribute something towards your upkeep.

Simon

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
Sell this lot

pooltable
tablefootball table
dart board
sofa
stereo
landrover
vauxhall carlton
small offroad buggy

Plus your savings should give you a financial kickstart to buy a kit, and you'll clear the garage at home at the same time

ATB

Simon

omega0684

posted on 6/1/06 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
y not look a buying a part build? £2500 is very low me thinks, try 5-6 for a decent looking good performance motor

Alex

if you have never welded before, just buy a chassis and save your time for reconditioning old parts.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 6/1/06 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
Some of those comments are a little harsh chaps!

As Alex has said, if you can get hold of a part built project, you can adapt it to suit. If not, why not try building your own? You'll save some money, and learn some valuable skills.

Good luck whatever route you choose.

Danozeman

posted on 6/1/06 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

also the garage situation i have a double garage at home but its full of pooltable and tablefootball table and dart board and sofa and stereo so i cant work there ...

Get rid of these and youl have loads of space and more money.

Have a bash yourself. Mig Welders are handy to have and easy to learn. If u get more metal than u need to give u some to practice with. Make something useful like a chassis stand and a practice piece.

As for your 2500 mines looking like 5 grand when its done. Maybe a bit more and thats with loads of bits cheap from ebay etc.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Mix

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Build one from scratch

You will then have your whole life to use the skills you will learn in the process.

Oh and yes get rid of all that tat that seems to be cluttering up the build space

Mick

ch1ll1

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
ask mummy to buy you one !

have a go at building one your self !
IF THAT FAILS THEN THERES PLENTY OF STARTED KIT TO BUY
but you will get more joy when it finished
at least you can say i built all of that !
even when its bent laying in a ditch !

[Edited on 6/1/06 by ch1ll1]

indykid

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Messenjah
ok well my first car is sorted for a year im going on my mums landy insurance paying the difference to my parents and not paying maintenance petrol tax etc so im saving alot of money but not building a years no claims but its ok

how often does the landy see mud let alone go off road? can't you convince your very amenable parents to sell that and buy a corsa, or maybe an sj410 if the off road capability is still required? they could then put the sale money towards a project either scratch or kit for you.

on a more productive note, if your auntie's garage is a council one, i've yet to see one with a decent power supply or even lighting. that immediately puts scratch built out as i've never ever seen a battery powered welder, except a stick welder made from 2 car ones joined together! that'd be scary though.

i'd look at part built, or even built in your circumstances, unless you can clear the garage at home.
hth
tom

Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
firstly the landy sees alot of mud and offroad and alot of work as a workhorse because we are rebuilding an old cottage in ireland ourselves and use it to drive over there and cart building materials too and from the house which happens to e 1mile from the closest road and on top of a pete bog so ner also we do alot of pay and play days at devils pit and quite alot of greenlaning

so if you can fit 8 bags of cement 10 bags of sand a wheelbarrow and 6 ppl into an sj40 and then tow a trailer with 75 concrete blocks "9 cavity blocks then ill aplaud you

as for the spoilt brat comment thats very harsh imho

let me explain the stuff in the garage

the pool table was bought by me and my older brother from money we saved for a year from our paper rounds as a present for my dad the dart board was free because the rugby club ordered one and got two and my dad was the mini and youth chairman and the club chairman already had one

the table football table was a present for me and both my brothers last christmas and the sofa i bought for when i have mates round again from money that i earned doing my paper round

and the beer fridge was a present form me and my mum to my dad she bought the fridge i stocked it with beer

so be nice

as for getting a corsa well i think i covered what we need the landy for but i suppose dad might consider swapping his jag for one .... NOT

so now that ive justified myself hopefully ill get some more helpfull suggestions

and thanks to the guys who have made sensible suggestions

Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
"What dont you feel that you should contribute something towards your upkeep. "

well i did but my mum said i shouldnt have to because my brother never did and theyre paying his way thru uni atm and since both my parents work i am quite often the one at home doing the ironing and washing a looking after my younger brother and doing most of the tidying and washing up so ner

rusty nuts

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Get yourself on to a welding course , at least you will learn how to do a decent weld. Start saving so you can buy a decent welder (the best you can afford ) Power in the council garage will be a problem so could you weld up chassis at home on the drive? possibly put onto trailer for shifting to garage for storage? Once the chassis is finished perhaps a small generator for power at garage for lights etc. Remember if you do build from scratch the extra cost of equipment but you will probably need a welder for brackets etc anyhow .
Peteff

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
What's this?

on top of a pete bog so ner. I hope you mean a peat bog . This is usually a protected environment not somewhere to drive over with building materials. Move the table for a while then transfer stuff to your aunt's lockup. You'll be able to build a chassis sideways on in your two car garage and it will store on it's side when it's tacked together.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

emsfactory

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you stick all the junk in your garage in your aunts?
Then you are close to your build and have power and space.
Have a bash at making it yourself, thats what I did.
Its not that hard and you feel good having done it.
Practice first though as 'the first one is the worst one' etc.
Folks seem to be giving you a hard time for some reason, I dont see the point in that. Just envy I guess.

zxrlocost

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
those magical words ill earn money but I wont spend it much

trust me as soon as you earn money it goes like that

as soon as i started earning real good money I still spend it but I look back at the end of the month and think WTF have I spent all that on.. Ive said ill try harder each month but it never changes

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd endorse the 'make it all yourself' policy! If nothing else, you'll have some useful tools and a heap of new skills (you can repair your Landy when you bend it! )

Save up and buy your parents a big shed - then fill it with your garage junk!

David

Gav

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed i vote fro scratch build, learn the skills then as was was said before, youve got them for the rest of your life.
Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
if i spent the money on a welding course so i knew what i was doing and then had nothing to do say in a holiday so i could really get down to it and all the box section was cut to length ready to be welded how long would it take to weld the entire chassis ?? roughly
ch1ll1

posted on 6/1/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
not taking the wee here.

what do you know about cars repair wise?
do you know how they run and work,
what tools do you have?
do you know the basics about a car?

this all counts, cause if you know a little about cars then it will help and may poss make it a little quicker for you
if you dont then it will take you alot longer to build it. in fact alot longer !
how much time do you have to spend on it.
as it wont build it self, ask everybody on here they will tell you
its not a 2 min job!, how long do you think it will take you to build it?
well double it and you might be near!
and at the end of the day ITS YOUR LIFE AT RISK EVERY CORNER YOU CUT !!
but like CaLviNx says buy the book it will help you out alot!

Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
ive had a part time job at a landy garage since i was 14 repaired th elandy with my dad dont clutch changes gearboxc changes exaust fitting engine swaps and making lots of cups of tea started off making tea worked my way up

i tend to spot when somethings not right on te car quicker then my um or dad feeling the difference of even a couple of psi in a flat tyre noticing a slight smell and telling to to stop in the next layby and find it pissing water and took the waterpup off the landy while waiting for the aa man and then fitted a new one at the garage he recovered uss too and we still made the ferry

ive bene interested in cars since i was ickle and changed my first set of spark plugs at 5

i know the basics and a bit more but would like to learn more then i know i also want to do automotive design and engineering at uni hopefully bath

steve_gus

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you dont have a decent garage, and welding experience you would be TOTALLY NUTS to attempt a scratch build.

How would you fancy going outside in the next few months, cutting up steel, welding it, in 2 degrees and rain, while the car is gently rusting. Or, having to drive / walk miles to a garage. You will quickly lose motivation and give up.

You have minimal resources available, so you need to take the least hassle route.

save up your cash, and get an MK indy kit or summat similar.

As your insurance will be ballistic, and you havnt passed your test, there isnt a big rush to start the build tomorrow is there? So spend the next year amassing the cash that allows you to buy something that will scre together fairly easy at about the time you will actually be able to drive and insure it - like at least in a year or twos time.

I cant see you doing this tho as I wouldnt have at your age

If you havnt done so yet, get your dad to take yo to the stoneleigh show, and take a look at some of the kits on offer. Look at something like the MK chasis, and ask yourself seriously ' could i do something as nice as that with the resources I have'. Save your money, and get something good when you can buy in something.

In your situation, its going to be far too tempting to go out with your mates than hack bits of metal in the garden or your aunties garage when its -5c outside.....

do you REALLY HAVE TO BUILD a car yourself..... if you want a seven replica, you can probably get a decent one for 3 grand or so...... save up and it could be yours this time next year..... without the hassle of building one.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Messenjah

ive bene interested in cars since i was ickle and changed my first set of spark plugs at 5

/quote]

I read an article by the daughter of Roahld Dahl once.

In it, she describes how one day, when she was about 14, she really needed to get somewhere. So, she took the family morris minor.

It broke down. So, she called her dad.

He was really pi$$ed.

not cos she had taken the car and driven under age - but that she hadnt known how to fix it

In the book 'danny, champion of the world' by him, the character Danny, describes how his dad wouldnt let him attend school until he knew how to rebuild an engine. If you didnt know how to do that, you were not prepared for learning

strange man

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

ch1ll1

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like your over qualified to build a car!
Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
the idea is tho i want to build one and was thinking about a welding course

i get where you are coming form and maybe a kit would be a better option

and yeah you are right there is no rush to start tomorrow at all i am to have it complete whatever route i go down by around may time not next year but the year after which will be about halfway through my year out after a levels and then ill go on a trip round europe in it which is why i want to build rather then buy so i can fix if it breaks on the trip

as at that time id be 19 which gives much more scope for actually being able to afford to insure it lol and then id have it in time for uni lol

JoelP

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
i love driving, but i still think most of the fun is in the fabrication. If you fancy welding, by all means do a course and stick a chassis together. Or as a good way to fill up a few months, why not make a small box trailer? Its good practice and still fun, but you dont have to insure it and risk killing yourself when done! If i were you, id get a nippy normal car, and aim to finish the locost in a few years, maybe by 19, when insurance will be so much easier to bear. If the building is just a hurdle on the way to having a finished car, then i guess you may as well buy a kit! Otherwise, take your time and enjoy it. If you look after any tools you get, they will last ages.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.