Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can't get laptop to access internet via wireless
Humbug

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can't get laptop to access internet via wireless

I recently bought a Linksys WGKPC354G-UK package of a WAG354G ADSL modem+router+wireless access point and a WPC54G laptop wireless card (£39.99 from PC World)

I have set up the modem/router OK and connected by wire to my desktop PC, and I can get access to email, internet, etc. as needed.

I can also get full access from the laptop when it is connected with wires.

I have set up the laptop card and everything seems to be OK, but when looking at the status message in the Linksys window, the status changes frequently (i.e. every 10-15 seconds) between:

“You have successfully connected to the access point and the Internet” and

“You are connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found”

This happens even when I move the laptop right next to the base unit and it shows full Signal Strength and Link Quality, and I have never successfully connected to the internet via wireless.

I thought it might be something to do with security settings, but surely then it would not allow any connection, rather than flipping on and off (according to teh status info).

Help!

stevebubs

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds like your DSL playing up, and can often be fixed by changing various settings on the router.

Try searching for MTU size in the DSL forums

Humbug

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'll give that a try, but if it was the DSL wouldn't there be a problem with all connections to the internet, not just via wireless?
jestre

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Try changing the RF Channel in the AP.. sounds like you have interferance.

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
I'll give that a try, but if it was the DSL wouldn't there be a problem with all connections to the internet, not just via wireless?

If the drop outs are quick, you may not really notice it on the PC, especially as it won't have any software loaded onto it to monitor the router...

Humbug

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Changing the channel doesn't make any difference.

I have just tried pinging www.bbc.co.uk from the command window on the laptop and it comes back with a reply, so it must have an internet connection of some sort!

johnemms

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
lynksys have wireless security mode 'on' by default... go into lynksys router 192.168.1.1 no name - pword: admin and turn off the security for the wireless to make sure its all working first..

jon

Humbug

posted on 6/1/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnemms
lynksys have wireless security mode 'on' by default... go into lynksys router 192.168.1.1 no name - pword: admin and turn off the security for the wireless to make sure its all working first..

jon

I had tried all that before - switch off security completely, test, reset security, etc. and it didn't work... this time I switched off security, disabled firewall and it worked!... rest security, re-enabled firewall and it still worked! Rebooted and it still worked!!!

Thanks for the suggestions... btw I am still waiting for the "reply within one business day" to the email I sent to Linksys tech support on Saturday. Good to know the Locost community is there with locost help and advice. Cheers!

RichardK

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
If the laptop has an ethernet port (normal rj45 socket) have you disabled that connection with the Network Connection section so you only have the wireless network as active so it definatly goes through the right gateway.

Just a thought.

Regards

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.