Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Matt Black/Green Military Style Paint
Avoneer

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Matt Black/Green Military Style Paint

Is this effect easy to do?

Seen it on several custom cars and bikes (from the USA).

Has a matt black finish and green tint in the light.

Any ideas anyone???

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Messenjah

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
www.anchorsupplies.com will sell you matt black nato paint plenty enough to do a 7 a couple of times over if you brushed it on neat let alone spray it on after thinning

i dunno about the green tint but its actuall military matt black paint

5 Litre Tin Matt - £37.50

iank

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm
for all 3 military colours

Avoneer

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
This wasn't just a flat matt black though - had a green tint as well.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
probably IR reflecting paint Anchor supplies may have this as well it is supposed to prevent you being visible through night scopes!

Caber

andyps

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
probably IR reflecting paint Anchor supplies may have this as well it is supposed to prevent you being visible through night scopes!

Caber

Problem with that is most other drivers probably won't wee you either. Hopefully nor would Gatsos

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Deckman001

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Was all ways wondering how gatso's would cope with stealth type paint

Jason

k33ts

posted on 7/1/06 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
autopaint int doit cant remeber what its called iwas looking at it last time i went down there you can get about 9 different types different colours aswell.
mak

posted on 7/1/06 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
who wants to be the guinee pig?

I'm sure that fellow on here with the Lightweight has got plenty of layers of Nato Green IR paint on it?

Mark

wilkingj

posted on 7/1/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Was all ways wondering how gatso's would cope with stealth type paint

Jason

It would still register, as the gatso used Radio Waves (radar) techniques, which will reflect from the Metal body.

IRR is Infra Red Reflective, and only works against IR LIGHT waves. It might work against the Laser type speed guns / cameras, but wouldnt want to put it to the test!.

The main ingredient in IRR paint is a special type of Clay which reflects IR light / optical frequencies from its surroundings thus blending in with the background.

The trick with IRR Matt paint is to Stir thouroughly, then Stir Thouroughly again,
THEN... Take a long 2" strip of metal and scrape the bottom of the tin and redistribute the thick paint at the bottom of the tin... Then STIR AGAIN.

The Matting Agent in IRR paint is heavy and sinks to the bottom of the tin when stood for a long time. It will form a layer of about 0.5" / 12mm at the bottom of the tin (5Litre Tin).
This layer MUST be thouroughly and evenly distributed in the rest of the paint.

If NOT:
1. You will get a horrid glossy effect.
2. It will have odd colour tinges as the Clay is usually reddish colour.
3. It wont accurately reflect IR Light, thus making you visible to the enemy.

This is Kosher info, as I have painted two military Land Rovers, and my Paint Guru is the Foreman Sprayer, spraying Military vehicles for a living at a well known Companies Special Body Division.

Edit:
There is LOADS of MATT Green paint about... Not all of it is IRR Paint.
The commercial cost of genuine IRR paint would make you feint. It is seriously expensive. If you can find it shelf expired its usually around £30 for 5 litres, but havent seen a lot of genuine paint with the DEFSTAN (Defence Standard) Labels on the tin.

[Edited on 7/1/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

wilkingj

posted on 7/1/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mak
I'm sure that fellow on here with the Lightweight has got plenty of layers of Nato Green IR paint on it?
Mark

The quantity of layers is irrevalent.

It need a smooth correctly prepared surface, the right undercoat, and the EXACT thickness of paint, which is measured with a gauge, and is only a few microns thick.

When Painting two colour (eg Green/Black) IRR paint, they use Masks to shield the other colours area. The reverse masks are put on, and the other colour applied, to the same EXACT thickness. There must not be any gaps or ridges betweek the layers as this will show up on any IR device looking at it as a line where the refractive index changes.

Its a complex business... and makes ordinary car spraying look easy.

Also the paint they use is Two Pack paint, the stuff on the ex mil stalls at Rallies is not two pack paint. Again.. Look for the Defstan Labels.

IRR is manufactured by two companies in the UK, one is Beckers and I cant remember the other... it might be ICI.

Best Regards
Geoff

oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sure your not thinking of flip paint?? Such as that oh so famous TVR tuscan in Swordfish (though purple and green), very bling! Though you'd have to sell all your medalions at about £1,500 a gallon! I live very close to a guy who does cars in this stuff quite a lot. If your interested I can try to find out who supplies it and a more accurate cost....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

Glan Noye

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you go here http://houseofkolor.co.uk/products/specialityproducts.htm# and look under speciality products,a combination of Kameleon over a black basecoat and flattening agent in the topcoat of lacquer should give you the finish I think you are looking for. I have used House of Kolor products and found them to be very good.Glan
wilkingj

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I am absolutely sure about Nato IRR Matt Paint both Black and Green. My source knows his job. I have also done my research too.

This is not the pearlescent multicolour pint I am talking about... I am talking about military Infra Red Reflective Matt Green and Black paint as used on HM forces military vehicles. No Bling factor in that at all..

Best Regards
Geoff

02GF74

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I am absolutely sure about Nato IRR Matt Paint both Black and Green. My source knows his job. I have also done my research too.

This is not the pearlescent multicolour pint I am talking about... I am talking about military Infra Red Reflective Matt Green and Black paint as used on HM forces military vehicles. No Bling factor in that at all..

No idea why you would want IRR paint - it is reflective to IR - as I understand it, you shine an IR light then look through special goggles so you can see the vehciles on your side. It doesn't age well hence why military Land Rovers have many coats of it slapped on with a broom!

My LR lightweight is painted in Nato green, from Leavesley International; cheaper than anyone else by a long way. Beware that their Nato black is not that matt; I mixed it 50/50 with black board paint.

The downside of matt paint is its rough surface meaning grime gets into it quite quickly and very hard to remove, only solution is to paint it again!

Peteff

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
, only solution is to paint it again!

Or leave it dirty

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisf

posted on 9/1/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Pat:

There is a US Toyota 4Runner ('99-01) that has the exact color you're thinking: almost black until the sun hits, then slightly metalic black/green. I plan on painting my car this color and putting flatner in my clearcoat. My hope is that it will knock down the metalic.

I have all the formulas/recipes for PPG brand paint--including the paint code. Let me know if interested.

--Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.