Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moving Indy
vintagebuilder

posted on 24/1/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Moving Indy

Evening All,

I need to move my MK Indy and have been quoted a very good price by local Accident Repair Centre. Question is,given the very low ground clearance of the Indy, will it winch onto bed of a conventional flat bed recovery vehicle?

Regards

David

Chris_R

posted on 24/1/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
If it's got an articulated bed there's no need to worry. If it's got ramps up to a non articulated bed then you're gonna run aground, unless you get a few mates to help you lift the back end up.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom_loughlin

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
i was fine with mine -i just used 2 lengths of 4x2" wood, with a slope cut out of one end (which were put on thetrailer), and drove it onto a pretty highflatbed - the sump was the only thing to catch on the trailer previously.

id just try it, and see you much extra ground clearance (if any) you need and go from there.

i have to use the wooden ramps to get my car in and out of the garage.

Im really bad at explaining things, so if you want any pics or anything let me know)

Tom

Hellfire

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
David, whereabouts do you live and where's the Indy being moved to.

Only reason I ask, is that we have a trailer not doing much at the moment and would be willing to help a fellow member of this forum if we possibly can.

gary gsx

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
If its a slide and tilt vehicle and they are from an accident repair centre they may have skates that you stick wheels in that will give you a few more inchs, or if not just block it up with wood
MkIndy7

posted on 25/1/06 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth measuring the ground clearance and asking them.

I'm not really up on the types of recovery trucks but we were recovered by the RAC on a lowering flatbed and he just brough a few extra planks because over the radio he was told it was a "sports car" and thought it'd have sideskirts etc to ground on, went on easy peasy!.

If your worried you could run the suspension "jacked up" and it would also help for light heights and clearances etc, think thats been done by a few people to no ill effect just for the SVA.

Are peoples cars really that low? My 35mm lowered Mk3 fiesta catches on more things than the kit car!

stevebubs

posted on 25/1/06 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
overhangs are the key thing to check - what angle can you get up to (front or back) before you ground out?
vintagebuilder

posted on 25/1/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Phil/Steve.

You have U2U

Regards

David

Hellfire

posted on 25/1/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
David, you have U2U2

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.