Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel Nuts
oliwb

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel Nuts

Wanted - wheel nuts the type that have the domed head for SVA, had a look in halfrauds but nothing there and couldn't find them on ebay....19mm ford fitment ones.....if anybody's got some second hand ones or knows where to get 'em please u2u me or post a reply...thanks..Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davidcarr

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not the same ones, but mine have a closed head (not quite a dome) and a connected washer so they don't mash the alloys. Came direct from Ford. I think I asked for a Mondeo (as the alloys were from there). A couple of quid each though.
ned

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
they're very cheap from rally design...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oliwb

posted on 25/1/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ned will look into that....there only to cover the fact that I'm lazy....I haven't changed the studs out for longer ones and there's enought thread to be safe but possibly not enough showing for SVA man to be convinced so was just gonna cover it up with these wheel nuts! Don't worry I will change them - eventually! Cheers guys Oli.

Humbug

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
Thanks Ned will look into that....there only to cover the fact that I'm lazy....I haven't changed the studs out for longer ones and there's enought thread to be safe but possibly not enough showing for SVA man to be convinced so was just gonna cover it up with these wheel nuts! Don't worry I will change them - eventually! Cheers guys Oli.

...except te SVA man may ask you to remove the covers to make sure. I have Westfield wheels with a cover over all the nuts, and I had to remove all of the covers so he could see there were enough threads.

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
i bought an alloy wheel fitting kit from mac#1. Exactly what you are looking for.

oliwb

posted on 25/1/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
yeh that's why I'm after some new wheel nuts.....if I can cover them up with nuts he wont be able to tell....and if he wants to remove the nuts it'll be almost impossible to tell that only 2/3's of the thread is being used....cos like I say it's not unsafe but its just something they could come up with.....Oli.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 25/1/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I read in an other thread that one SVA man checked that a wheel nut turned 5/6 full rotations to check that it was correctly fitted..

I am changing the studs to longer ones as my nuts only engage 3/4 threads...

not worth failling on

oliwb

posted on 25/1/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'll take the chance I think and see what happens the station at bridge of Don (aberdeen) seems to be an unknown commodity at the moment so I'll take the chance see what happens....pretty sure it wont be the only failing point though! Oli.

Bluemoon

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
There is a good reason why they test this, do you really want' the threads to strip..
oliwb

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
As said...its safe (not as if I'm running 1/2 a thread or anything) It will probably pass there 5/6 full turns test anyway, but it looks suspect at the moment and might aswell cover it up....I'll probably fit bigger studs eventually anyway....I can't really see how is any worst than what everyone else does with lack of windscreens and pipe lagging to pass! Its not unsafe, just another one of those little things that an inspector might pick up on to fail it....Oli.

Bluemoon

posted on 26/1/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would'nt trust this few turns:

"An old rule-of-thumb is that in a threaded hole in steel, the length of engagement should be at least 1.5 times the diameter of the screw, and in cast iron or brass, 1.8 to 2 times the diameter. Blind holes should be at least half a diameter deeper than the length of engagement."

I think you will probably strip the treads if you torque them up to the correct value.

See

http://www.sizes.com/tools/bolts_engagement.htm

omega 24 v6

posted on 26/1/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Some one on here has had the test at Aberdeen but can't remember who. Do a search for Aberdeen.

Heres the link

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=26055

[Edited on 26/1/06 by omega 24 v6]

oliwb

posted on 26/1/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks guys....the factor of the matter is that I've had them torqued up etc and their fine.....It'd go through OK as is but I just want to be sure.......Thanks for the info on Aberdeen......Oli.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.