Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: math questions
dmottaway

posted on 30/1/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
math questions

My math skills are adequate, but my verbal skills can be a handicap at times, so please bear with me.

We can say that a square is a special rectangle in that the width and length are equal.

Similarly, we can say that a circle is a special ellipse in that the major axis and minor axis are equal.

Now, if we take a piece of square bar/tube and cut the end off at an angle, the resulting "face" of the bar/tube will be a rectangle. If we do the same with a round bar/tube, the resulting "face" will be an ellipse.

Here comes the point:

Can we do the reverse? I am pretty sure we can take a piece of rectangular bar/tube and cut it such a manner as to have the resulting "face" a square. What I am wondering is if we can take a piece of elliptical bar/tube and cut it in the proper manner so the resulting "face" is a circle?

I asked my father, an engineer (aerospace), and it took nearly an hour to get my question through to him (verbal skills?). Finally, he declared NO! Cannot be done. I seldom listen to him anyway, so I am asking here.

What do we think?

Dave

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

JoelP

posted on 30/1/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
no it cannot be done, the angles/lengths can only further diverge.
Avoneer

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I get it, but it hurts thinking about it.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not true. If you turn your elipse or rectangle 90 degrees you can cut at an angle such that you stretch its minor axis to match the major axis and end up with a square or circle again.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
ah yes, but it would match the bigger side of either... fair enough
Deckman001

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
As i understand it, after the cut, it may look round from a distance, but up close in a position to weld, the face won't be !!

that about right ????

Jason

flak monkey

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
An elipse has a constanly varying radius from the centre point to points on its circumference. A circle has a constant one. By simply cutting the elipse, you can't make a circle (because of the variable radius. If you can, I cant see how it would work.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dmottaway

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quick answer!

but, consider this.....

if oriented correctly, the length of the rectangle can remain and the width grows, to point that it equals the length, resulting in a square "face".

similarly, the major axis of the ellipse can be held fixed, while the minor axis "grows". can't we calculate the proper angle to allow the minor axis to "grow" equal the major axis, resulting in a circle?

for example, if I have a piece of 4" x 5" tube and cut it at about 53* across the 4" side, the length of the cut will be 5" and will result in a square "face".

?????

dave

dave

dmottaway

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I really agree with Avoneer!

dave

Liam

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
eliptical tube... Rescued attachment elipse1.jpg
Rescued attachment elipse1.jpg

Liam

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cut at an angle... Rescued attachment elipse2.jpg
Rescued attachment elipse2.jpg

Liam

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
View of the cut face (normal to it)... Not a perfect circle in this case cos i just guessed the cut angle. Work it out and you can have a perfect circle... Rescued attachment elipse3.jpg
Rescued attachment elipse3.jpg

flak monkey

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh. See, now i misunderstood the question.

Haha

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

keets

posted on 30/1/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
i'll get my coat
davidcarr

posted on 30/1/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the angle-of-dangle is:

cos^-1 (a/b) where a is the short side you want longer and b is the long side, that stays the same length.

Looking down on the tube so you see it at its narrowest, the angle is the angle between the end of the tube and the cut, rather than the side of the tube and the cut.

I did draw a little picture but attaching it was too advanced for me!

fesycresy

posted on 30/1/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
keets,

I think you've got my coat, give it back I need it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Liam

posted on 30/1/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidcarr
I reckon the angle-of-dangle is:

cos^-1 (a/b) where a is the short side you want longer and b is the long side, that stays the same length.

Looking down on the tube so you see it at its narrowest, the angle is the angle between the end of the tube and the cut, rather than the side of the tube and the cut.

I did draw a little picture but attaching it was too advanced for me!

Sounds spot on to me. Which also means my guess of a 60 degree cut on a 2:1 elipse above gave a perfect circle

Liam

Liam

posted on 30/1/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
P.S. To attach a picture from your computer simply click the browse button on the post reply form and find the pic (cant be over 500k or you'll get an error and loose the essay you might just have typed ). To display a picture from the web use the insert image button in the little tool bar above the text entry window.

liam

[Edited on 30/1/06 by Liam]

smart51

posted on 30/1/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, an eliptical tube, cut ant the correct angle will give a circular "face".

Similarly, a round tube, presented at an angle to the wind, will have an aparent eliptical crossection and so will be more aerodynamic than a round tube. Good to know when making front wishbones for a seven.

indykid

posted on 30/1/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
since we've decided it's feasible, can you please tell me why the hell you want to know?

was it purely out of curiosity or are you after doing something with the theory?
tom

DavidM

posted on 30/1/06 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
The answer is absolutely yes in both cases.
This is quite common in sheet metal ducting that you may see in large buildings for air con or ventilation. The eliptical tube is called an oblique cylinder and when the end is cut at the correct angle (dependant on the ratio of the ellipse) it will join directly to a round tube, the end of which is cut at 90 degrees.
The same applies to a rectangular tube which when cut at the appropriate angle will join directly to a square tube the end of which is cut at 90 degrees.

So I agree with Liam etc.

David

Proportion is Everything

phelpsa

posted on 31/1/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
That gave me a headache

But I did understand it!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.