Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help - Massive Fuel Leak!
timwest167

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Help - Massive Fuel Leak!

Help!

Tried running my engine for the second time and I had petrol absolutely pouring out of the first carb + dribbling out of the second!

I have a facet fuel pump (6-7psi) connected to a FilterKing regulator (3psi factory setting) connected to twin webbers. I've disconnected the carbs from the regulator, fixed a length of hose to the regulator and clamped the end to simulate a full float chamber - the pressure gauge measures 3psi. This isn't too high is it?

I've opened both carbs and the floats are free to move. I suppose the floats may be fouling on the inside of the chamber - but how can you tell when they come off with the cover plate?

Is my facet pump to high a pressure?

Can anybody help please - I'm scared to try it again

Tim

mookaloid

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
It could be the needle valves not seating or sticking.

if you have had the carbs apart it is possible that they were not assembled correctly. just ease the tops up a bit and check that the floats are moving correctly.

HTH

Mark

gary gsx

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Are the floats closing the needle vavle????
DarrenW

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I started with Facet red top feeding my 38DGAS thro a regulator on Pinto.
First problem was knackered accelerator pump diaghpragm. Fuel leak was generous. Fixed that then found out that floats were being overcome with too much fuel even with reg on lowest setting. Pulsing of the pump meant fuel was being forced thro regulator. Had fires in the carb choke!!! Fix was going back to mechanical pump - no more issues since.

If you insist on electric pump you may need low pressure solid state facet.

timwest167

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies...

The carbs are new and leaked before I removed the top cover.

When I had the top cover removed I blew in the fuel inlet and then moved the floats - this had the expected result of stopping my blowing - like you'd expect if the chamber was full of fuel.

Tim

Nick Skidmore

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Webber fuel pressure should be 2psi max.

Sometimes the fuel will leak if the carbs have stood a while, this suddenly stops with no explanation!

Try lower fuel pressure first.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
use a bike pump. Its so simple it almost makes me sick There are many reasons to use one, and i cant think of any against it. Does anyone have a reason not to use bike pumps?!
02GF74

posted on 13/2/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
put petrol into a small container connected by a tube and hold above levle of carbs.

you have fuel under gravity - if the carbs still leak; then you have needle valve/flot or other car problem.

if not, then ful pump or regular are at too high pressure - but regulator should solve that.

Have you tried to adjist it? (there is a screw under the domed not; not sure but I think undoing it lessend the pressure)

mark chandler

posted on 13/2/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Are the carbs done up to tight ?

You should have a spring washer behind each nut, you do not fully tighten DCOE carbs, merely nip them up onto to the rubber 'O' ring. Overtightened = frothing fuel and leaks.

Regards Mark

britishtrident

posted on 13/2/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
This problem comes up time and time again --- fit a proper low pressure fuel pump designed for carbs and ditch the regulator.
timwest167

posted on 13/2/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips, I'll try again at the weekend.

I researched how to supply webbers and was recommended this method. Some people have used the higher pressure competition facets + regulator with no problem?

Its a little anoying to get this far into the build and have problems with a system others quite happily use

Thanks,

Tim

PS Britishtrident - Facet do a 2.5 to 3.0 psi pump - can I assume that this would be more suitable (it's also a direct replacement)? Engine is a zetec, so no mechanical pump.

britishtrident

posted on 13/2/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Regulators can only really work properly in a continuous flow situation -- ie where there is a return line to the tank.

With new carbs it is an idea to check the float valves before fitting the carbs --- turn the carbs upside down and blow into the fuel inlet.

gazza285

posted on 13/2/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Your fuel pump is ok to use with carbs, just turn the pressure down on the regulator.

"Regulators can only really work properly in a continuous flow situation -- ie where there is a return line to the tank."

Not convinced by this as the Facet is an interupter type pump and does not need a return. This combination is tried and tested over many years and will gives years of reliable service. How does the regulator on my gas bottles work then, if you need a return, or the one on my compressor as these are both diaphragm type regulators and work in exactly the same way as a Filter King one.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a couple of paddock and also on track fires due to using high pressure pumps on carbs.

Carlos Fandango syndrome.

gazza285

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The pump he has is a low pressure pump though, unless you know of an injection system that runs at 7psi?

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.