Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which breakdown cover?
john_p_b

posted on 18/2/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
which breakdown cover?

the time has come for me to seriously look in to breakdown cover as summer get a bit nearer and the thoughts of long drives set in. the cosworth is getting a bit of a smoking habbit in it's old age and the indy....well....see what falls off each time really

all i want is revovery back to my house. no messing at the side of the road and no towing me into some dodgy back street garage for massivly over priced repairs.

main ones i can think of are

AA

RAC

greenflag

anyone recomend anyone and who offers the best for the least amount of £

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

stevebubs

posted on 18/2/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
AA have always sent a flat bed to recover my cars. However, it helps if you tell them what is wrong first, and whether it is fixable at the side of the road....

They also gave me the option of being recovered to the garage of my choice or home.

Jasper

posted on 18/2/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Been with the AA for 10+ years - always been excellent
Messenjah

posted on 18/2/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
AA man recently caused relatively extensive damage while trying for half an hour to start our jag with a snapped timing chain he also then attatched his little whinch thing to the wrong part of the car and the whinch wire cut stright through the bumper and since it wasnt a flatbed that he had it was just a 2 wheels on two wheels off jobbie he couldve put the front up on the thing(its not a ramp what is it ) but he put the back on and towed it from stevenage to berkhampstead with the steering lock on well it was on at the beginning but he snapped that too

ok so the timing chain snapping wasnt his fault but the other stuff was and it was a garage bill for well over £4000 still having battles trying to get them to pay for the damage he caused

also wasted one of the 6 recoveies o get for "free" each year when he couldnt reattatch a PUSH FIT fuel pipe when he was called out to asda car park we got the fire brigade too (the aa phoned them) because of the tanks worth of petrol on the ground

[Edited on 18/2/06 by Messenjah]

Peteff

posted on 18/2/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
It's a spectacle lift probably.....

Was he an AA man or a subby. I've been with the AA for years since my wife was out with kids and the car wouldn't start. We were with Green flags previous identity National Breakdown and a man came out to her. He tried jump leads and the car wouldn't start so he bump started it and sent her home telling her not to stall it. We then got a bill for £32 as he said it was battery fault due to negligence (maintenance free battery) I complained but they did nothing so I swapped.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

craig1410

posted on 18/2/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
AA here too for a number of years (6+). I've never had to call them out myself but my wife used to own a Fiat (Tipo) so she got to know them quite well... They were always quick to respond and got her going again on all occasions.

I'm currently paying £66 per year for myself and my wife and since we haven't called them out recently we have been upgraded FOC to the Home Start package which as the name suggests means that they will even help you in your own drive. We only pay for Option 100 (or whatever it's called which IIRC will only help you out if you are more than a mile or two from your home and will only take you home or to the nearest approved (or desired) garage.

HTH,
Craig.

graememk

posted on 18/2/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
i use the AA have called them many times never had a prob once, even towed me 130 miles north once when my car caught fire.

Simon

posted on 18/2/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
AA accidentally disconnected oil pressure switch wire on our Ford Crapi. Didn't realise till the light hadn't come on for 3 weeks. It was ok, fortunately.

RAC now. And they're sponsoring the WSR MG ZS BTCC cars this year

ATB

Simon

jacko

posted on 19/2/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all Rac for me. I was with the AA for about 25- 30 years and i found out that if you have a smash thay will not recover you without payment first then you have to claim the money back off the insurance.
The Rac recover you and claim the money from the insurance direct
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 19/2/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
i use the old 'phone a friend' cover - not always reliable, but free!
steve_gus

posted on 19/2/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
if you have an account with Barclays (Additions Plus) which costs about a tenner a month, green flag comes 'free' with it..... check if you have cover from your bank too.......

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dnmalc

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Try Britannia rescue have had them for over 15 years only used them three times and then associated with minor problems. excellent service and fast

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.