Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Am I going to get insured at 17?
southpaw

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Am I going to get insured at 17?

Firstly, I'm new here and this is my first post, so hi everyone

Basically, I'm 17 this summer and I really want a kit car. In an ideal world i'd have a GTM Libra, but I think they are a bit out of my price range. I'd be looking at spending £4-5k on a car. So what I want to know is are there any other young people who've been insured, and was it that expensive? I'm expecting to pay up to £2k for a production car, and I was thinking along the lines of a 1.4 - 1.6 Locost - is this achievable and insurable?

Thanks

flak monkey

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly welcome to the nut house

There are few kit car insurers who will insure under 21's, but I know of a few people on here who have had insurance at 19 onwards. No doubt they will come forward and tell you who they were insured with though.

If you built a 1.3 xflow locost insurance will not be a huge amount, and more companies are likely to say yes. They are still lively little cars with that engine, and will certainly provide hours of entertainment! Just dont chuck it in a ditch!!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Messenjah

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
£942 on a 1300 x flow locost

two 17 year olds on provisionals

living within 30 miles of london further up north should be cheaper ..... etc garage rather then driveway knocks money off

having grandad on as named driver noks money off even with yo as main driver

southpaw

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I don't really have the time to build a car, and I think it would be cheaper to find a build car and buy it. Age doesn't matter to me

Are there many 1300 x-flows around on the market build already? Or if i bought a 1600 crossflow engined car would it be very difficult to swap the engine for a 1300 and flog the 1600 engine on ebay?

Jon Ison

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
check out if any locost racers are selling, there 1300cc crossflows, but may need a bit of work if not registered for the road, put an add in the wanted section here, generally spread the word where ever you can as too what your looking for, prices will start too increase though at this time of year on........

Oh, welcome.

tom windmill

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
hey, Im 16 and nearly finished my 2.0 pinto indy so what chance do i stand when it comes to insurance in december
and im looking at R1 power!!

Tom

indykid

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
footman james, £827.40, fully comp, MK indy, 1.6 pinto, 1500 miles, £7000 agreed value. 19, passed test 1 year. no claims is irrelevant, as it is not considered on limited mileage policies. putting my dad on my policy put it up £14, 40 odd, full no claims.

think that just about covers it.
tom

oh, expect to pay the premium lump sum, again i was told they don't do direct debit on limited mileage policies, and DON'T put it into a ditch(or corsa) i'll never learn!

[Edited on 21/2/06 by indykid]

indykid

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom windmill
hey, Im 16 and nearly finished my 2.0 pinto indy so what chance do i stand when it comes to insurance in december
and im looking at R1 power!!

Tom

i recommend a pick axe handle, and a post office. you might just be able to afford to insure it then. you can't drive it till you've passed your test though, so i'd do a hefty bit of saving.

tom

Hellfire

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Whats this about 'No Claims' being irrelevant? If that's the case, when you do need to make a claim, does this go against you indefinitely whilst insuring the kit car year after year? Surely not...........

[Edited on 21-2-06 by Hellfire]

southpaw

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
footman james, £827.40, fully comp, MK indy, 1.6 pinto, 1500 miles, £7000 agreed value. 19, passed test 1 year. no claims is irrelevant, as it is not considered on limited mileage policies. putting my dad on my policy put it up £14, 40 odd, full no claims.

Cool. I've been emailing a guy about his car, its a 1600 Locost, 26000 miles on it, K&N filters (I'd probably remove these as they might put the insurance up?) and he only wants about £4,000 for it.

Seems like a good possibility!

indykid

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, i'll clarify that.

what i was getting at was if i put my dad on my policy, it won't carry with it any bias towards lowering the premium. i have no no claims, but if my dad was put on the policy, the premium is identical, because i'm on both policies, (except for the second driver addition of £14).

the original statement should have been - bringing in no claims from second drivers doesn't count on limited mileage policies with footman james.

that's what the footman james rep at stoneleigh told us anyway.
tom

stevebubs

posted on 21/2/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Many limited mileage policies won't give a NCB...
Hellfire

posted on 21/2/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Many limited mileage policies won't give a NCB...

So, going back to what I said previously - if that's the case, when you do need to make a claim, does this go against you indefinitely whilst insuring the kit car year after year? Or am I reading you wrong.

[Edited on 21-2-06 by Hellfire]

indykid

posted on 21/2/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
they'll appreciate that you've not made a claim in x years, but they wont give you any discount for that fact.

what they will do is add to the base premium for having claimed, until it is worked off in however many years. from what i've heard premiums don't go much even if you do claim, so i'm not massively worried.

matt_claydon

posted on 21/2/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
With normal insurance policies you build up a NCB which gives you a fixed percentage discount against the premium. With classic/kit/limited mileage you usually don't get this discount. This is entirely separate to the question "have you had any claims in the past 3 (or 5) years?" - It is quite possible to answer "yes" to the latter yet still have a full NCB which will still be applied. This is illustrated by the fact that your kit policy price does not go down year on year for the first 5 years you own the car, unlike what would happen on your main vehicle.
Hellfire

posted on 21/2/06 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I understand what you're saying and I'll try and explain a bit better what I'm trying to ascertain.

We had a claim on the first Indy we built and crashed. Our insurance premium for the second Indy promptly went up by £400 as a result. I was assuming that after the first year, the next years premium would go down. Is this not the case?

froggy

posted on 22/2/06 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
one of the few pleasures of getting older ive just insured my bike engined reliant through adrian flux 5000miles pa fully comp for £137
Marcus

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire,
The way I read it, you dont accrue an NCB on a kit car limited mileage policy, but you do accrue a claims penalty, which should drop year on year.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 22/2/06 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Marcus, that's the answer I was looking for.

oliwb

posted on 22/2/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ok here's one to confuse you: 2 yrs ago when I was gonna build the car I got a quote from Footman James of £1,100 fully comp. Based on me doing 3,000 miles a year and being 19 years old but no no claims bonus etc. Now I phone them yesterday, gonna be 20, limited to 4,500 miles now and the quot is £687! thats almost half for being a year old (ridiculous) but I'm being side tracked....also phoned MSM insurance...got a quote similar to Adrian Fluxes (£1,700! - this was yesterday) Then they rang back about 10 mins later after I told them about footman james quote and said that because I had been insured on my mums car as a named driver they could use that as a 3 year no claims bonus so the quote would be £700...hmm I though still more! Except...the very nice lady on the phone said well if you take it out on our policy you can walk away after year one with a 4 yr no claims bonus.....handy! and I'd be 21 thus making my next years insurance something around £400 apparently....anyone heard of them doing this before??? Seems very bizarre to me....good idea if it is indeed true and if it is may just pay the extra £50 for a 4 yrs no claims bonus.......Strange world the kit car insurers! Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 22/2/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I maide a claim on my main car policy 4 years ago. I got several quotes for my seven. All the ones that asked if I'd had a claim in the last 5 years quoted a higher premium than the ones that asked about claims in the last 3 years. No-one asked about NCD.

When I got my first car I had a guarrenteed full no-claims after 1 year policy. I made a claim. The premium went up quite a bit. When I asked why, qouting my full no-claims bonus, they said that the basic policy price had gone up due to the claim and that I got the full no-cliams discount applied to the new, higher price.

The cost of insurance is made from the total risk. That is the car type, where you keep it, ho likely the modle is to be stolen, how cheap it is to repair and how likely you are to crash it. If you make a claim, your renewal will go up regardless of NCD.

greggors84

posted on 22/2/06 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw
Cool. I've been emailing a guy about his car, its a 1600 Locost, 26000 miles on it, K&N filters (I'd probably remove these as they might put the insurance up?) and he only wants about £4,000 for it.

Seems like a good possibility!

I wouldnt worry about stuff like K&N filters, when i insured my car, they wanted to know if it was a car engine, what size engine, and if it was turboed or supercharged.

There must be a bracket up to 2.0 though as a 2.1 was significantly more than a 2.0. Still without any modification asked about just the 100cc.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

southpaw

posted on 22/2/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, now just to work out if I could live with driving a car with no proper roof or doors, even through the cold snowy winters we get up here in Newcastle...

I had a thought, so I'll run it by you guys quickly instead of starting a new thread - could I add more insulation to the roof and maybe strips of rubber along the edges or something so it was warmer and didnt leak?

Marcus

posted on 22/2/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
You could do that.
I was going to build an aluminium hardtop, cover it in vinyl to make it look like a soft top, insulate it with felt or something and put ally gullwing doors on it, but I couldn't be arsed
Maybe a future project though

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

southpaw

posted on 27/2/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
You could do that.
I was going to build an aluminium hardtop, cover it in vinyl to make it look like a soft top, insulate it with felt or something and put ally gullwing doors on it, but I couldn't be arsed
Maybe a future project though

Marcus

Ah yes, many a project which are planned out and then left for another day and never get done

Just had a quote from Footman James for a 1988 Westfield 1600 worth £4900 (easier to put a Westfield in, and theoretically it would be slightly more expensive to insure than a Locost), and it came back at £2004.05 TPFT. Not sure if thats any good or not.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.