Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tesco Super Unleaded 99 octane
David Jenkins

posted on 25/2/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Tesco Super Unleaded 99 octane

Just read in a motoring mag that Tescos will be selling a new fuel, called Super Unleaded 99 Octane - snappy name, huh?

Could be interesting for people like me, with an old engine converted to unleaded. Currently my engine plays up with anything less than BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax as I've kept the 'leaded' timing settings. Apparently Ultimate is 97 octane, Optimax is 98, so the new stuff should be even better! Allegedly it's only 4p more than the regular unleaded, which is a huge improvement over the 99p a litre Optimax.

The only worry is that the extra octaneage comes from the addition of 126 octane biofuel - don't know if that has any sneaky side-effects....

rgds,
David

raccoonradar

posted on 25/2/06 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
just filled up this morning at sainsburys 89p per lt for super unleaded not sure what octain. but cheap
flak monkey

posted on 25/2/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The only worry is that the extra octaneage comes from the addition of 126 octane biofuel - don't know if that has any sneaky side-effects....

Mmm ethanol (actually thats about 115octane equivalent I think). Actaully shell have been supplying optimax extreme which is 100octane (which used ethanol to boost the octane rating) in australia for a while, i dont think it made it here though.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Syd Bridge

posted on 25/2/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
The Aussie lists are full of complaints about what is being supplied as 'Super Unleaded' and similar named quasi 98-100 octane fuel. Short plug life, rough running, etc etc.... It doesn't appear to be the same as the stuff supplied here.

I'd be wary of anything with methanol or eths added. Although, alcohol enhanced fuel been run in the states for many years.?

Syd.

andylancaster3000

posted on 25/2/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that Tesco had been selling 99 octane unleaded for a while now? Know of a few people who have used it in the past. It was only at a selection of stores though.

Aren't Shell about to bring out their super 100 octane fuel?

Andy.

locost7-online.com

posted on 25/2/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Tescos 99 Octane are the sponsor for the British Rally Championship, It is a controlled fuel for the championship witjh only 1 other that can be used which i think is Elf turbo?
so if its in rally cars it better be good

Locost Xflow 150bhp injected! Sold :-(

Facebook blog https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Tiger-Avon-Build-814223212056368/
PLEASE NOTE THIS MEMBER IS NOT A TRADER.

Nick Skidmore

posted on 25/2/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Tesco's superunleaded is 97 octane at our local, at least that's what it says on the pump.

I've found no difference in my road cars with any petrol from cheap to really expensive, the diesel however, that really stands out is BP Ultimate.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steve_gus

posted on 25/2/06 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
i have used bp ultimate diesel in a bmw 320d and a renault 1.9dci and i cant say i felt any difference at all....

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed_crouch

posted on 26/2/06 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thats cos BP ultimate diesel is poo.

I tried it for about 5 or 6 tankfulls in my old A4Tdi. Made NO difference to either mpg or performance.

The only difference it made was to my wallet.

You should try being out here in USA. The best rocket fue you can get is 93 Octane. That is American Supreme grade gas. Talk about cooking oil...

But then its only 2bucks 50 a gallon. And my Hire car guzzles a gallon every 17 miles!

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

bimbleuk

posted on 26/2/06 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Don't confuse the US octane rating with the european one!

The US uses an average of MON and RON ratings to equate 93 octane which is the same as our 97 octane (RON) super unleaded!

Cazzy R

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi peeps.
There was an S-U-L fuel test article in one of the Ford performance magazines recently (can't remeber which). They had a big power cossie on an engine dyno and tested 4 brands of S-U-L at a base level ignition advance and then again at as high an advance the fuel could take before detonation set in.
Optimax 1st
BP 2nd
Tesco 3rd
Unamed supermarket 4th

I thought it interesting that there was a significant difference in power output between fuels at the base ignition setting.
In a nutshell Optimax was a clear winner so the RON rating isn't the whole story.

Cazzy R

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.