Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any drive a Mondeo TDDi?
MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Any drive a Mondeo TDDi?

A friend of mine has just bought a 2002 TDDi Mondeo, low mileage, mint condition etc. but is rather upset to find that according to the trip computer economy is hardly better than his previous V6 Ghia. A 100mile mix of urban and fastish dual carriageway dirving this week shows just over 30mpg. The TDCi hire cars I have driven seem difficult to get below 50mpg! Is it broken or is it just a legacy of the mechanical injection?
flak monkey

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I can back up the fact that our Focus TDCi gives about 50mpg on a run.

The TDDi mondeo should give about 45mpg IIRC.

David

[Edited on 28/2/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

zilspeed

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
It must be broken.
My very elderly 148K miles Audi 1.9tdi does 42-45ish to the gallon. That's hammering it all the time.

Hellfire

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I drive a TDCi. Although the computer shows the vehicle to be averaging around 50mpg, I consistently achieve about 42mpg (driven in anger) I wouldn't trust the trip computer as far as I could throw it. Tell him to work out the fuel consumption in the proper way, then he will be in no doubt.

Phil

[Edited on 28-2-06 by Hellfire]

MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, I told him to work it out properly, but he's just comming to terms with the loss of his V6 after a woman in a Ka decided to turn into the side of him...

At least she had the decency to kill it just before it went to the spray shop...

John.Taylor

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
A4 TDI

I couldn't agree more, I've had an 02-reg A4 TDI 130 from new (4 years old tomorrow) and the Trip2 computer says it has done 50.4mpg over the 72,700 miles it has covered. The Trip1 which resets each journey seems to agree on average, but looking through the company mileage sheets, it is averaging more like 44.5mpg!

As an aside, the variable service intervals on my car mean that it is serviced roughly every 23,000 miles (excess I know), and the difference between the mpg before and after the service is staggering. It's going in next Tuesday for a major service including cambelt and is only averaging 40 at the moment, but acording to the mileage records, it should be up in the high 50's after the service.

ned

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
driving like an absolute maniac i once managed to get my chipped 1.9tdi down to 31mpg on a 40+ ile journey (shortie can vouch for that!), i then got pulled over by the law 1 mile from home (once they'd caught up with me) i normally get 44-45 based on the last 8000 miles of ownership and have had 52mpg on a decent run.

Ned.

[Edited on 28/2/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
OUCH!!! Bet he was annoyed at that. It was different colours though

It should do over 40mpg. Id get it checked out. They are prone to injector faults.

My passat Tdi coming up for 100k does about 45-50 ave with me booting it.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

smac

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a TDDI Mondeo. Driven (extremely) carefully it will return 55 mpg but I usually only see 30 ish. Its all down to your right foot. The tdci is a huge improvement Im told.
steve_gus

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
my 1.9 laguna is a bit disappointing - it does about 42-44 on a run and can just touch 50 if im really careful..... a mates 2.2 litre mondeo st diesel does around 48mpg and can do over 50 with little effort - and thats 155hp! mines a lowly 120....

atb

steve

[Edited on 28/2/06 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cita2

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

oh yeah it could be something to do with crap aerodynamics and me only having one throttle position "pedal to the metal"

Chris

zetec

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Focus TDDi...55 steady Eddie on motorway, 50 mix of motorway and town, 45 around town short journeys. Anthing under 40 does not sound good unless thrashing all the time...

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

britishtrident

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Has the injection system got a hot wire mass airflow sensor if so that would be the prime suspect.
MikeRJ

posted on 1/3/06 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know to be honest, I've not looked under the bonnet yet! I know these strange beasts have an electronicaly controlled mechanical injection pump though and fly by wire throttle etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.