Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer's
Chippy

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Silencer's

Hi all, I am having a bit of bother trying to find a couple of silencer's to tame my V6 2.9i for SVA. I have tried a couple of cans on both sides, with no luck, still to loud. Anybody know of any silencers that will do the job, any assistance greatly appreciated.

smart51

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to hijack this thread and at the threat of sounding like an old fart,

WHY DO PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM PUT AN APOSTROPHE BEFORE THE S IN A PLURAL?

DO THEY NOT TEACH ENGLISH IN SCHOOLS ANYMORE?

AN APOSTROPHE IS USED ONLY TO SHOW THAT THERE IS A LETTER MISSING AS IN CAN'T AND TO SHOW THAT SOMETHING BELONGS TO SOMETHING ELSE AS IN PETER'S CAR.

THERE IS NO APOSTROPY IN SILENCERS, CDs OR OR CARS

I thank you.

NS Dev

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the lecture

Yep, very hard to silence these flipping Engine's

Seeing the amount of your car that you have scratch built (i.e. all of it so far!) then I would make a pair of big silencers using stainless steel parts.

Get some perforated stainless tube for the centre tube (milner offroad in the links section on here do it, plus stainless wool and packing material as well) and then buy some 304 stainless chimney flue pipe to make the outer casing:

Flue Pipe

and then make end caps from one of a variety of things, stainless balti dishes, stainless bowls from Ikea or the supermarket or a modded one of these:

End cap cone

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

fesycresy

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't they teach you punctuation, where are your commas ?

What's the world coming to

[Edited on 1/3/06 by fesycresy]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

graememk

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
hijack sorry, this site in not an english lesson or a spelling test, i post on her to learn and help solve problems.

May i suggest you stop "SHOUTING"

no offence but this is a car builders site.

on the thred wasn't there a conversation about not using stainless steel wool because it burns ? only ask as i also have a noise problem.

smart51

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Didn't they teach you punctuation, where are your commas ?
[Edited on 1/3/06 by fesycresy]

after fart and silencers

smart51

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk

Suggest all you like. I shouted deliberatly.

jambojeef

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Anyway....!

I recommend the Fireblade RR4 can - the titanium bolt on version.

They are a 3 chamber design and are pretty quiet.

Geoff

[Edited on 1/3/06 by jambojeef]

Tricky Dave

posted on 1/3/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I have heard someone talking about "3-pass" silencers - is that something to do with 3 chambers?

I too am a bit of a stickler for punctuation / grammar - it can grind like fingernails on a chalk board! Have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves Smart51?Worth a look - it confirms all your prejudices, but can also help you get through normal life without needing to shout at people on the internet. Ho hum.

NS Dev

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the point, take the point on the bike can but I seriously doubt that it will do the trick!

My XR4x4 has 3 "straight thru" boxes and would fail SVA miserably.

If you can borrow one then give it a go, wouldn't buy one on the off chance though.

3 pass silencers are, in very basic terms, quiet but restrictive. There are SOME very good ones around that are not restrictive, and maybe the one mentioned is one of those, but they are few and far between, as they need great care in assembly/production to maintain efficiency.

In a 3 pass design the gasses are cycled down the length of the silencer and back again, via various media, usually an initial straight through section without packing as an expansion chamber, then into a chamber, where the exit is a pipe returning back up the silencer again, this pipe is usually either baffled or a glasspack, then there's another chamber, with another return pipe, again usually glasspack, to return to the rear of the silencer.

As you can see, pretty restrictive compared to a straight piece of perforated pipe, but then much better at silencing!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Hellfire

posted on 1/3/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

THERE IS NO APOSTROPY IN SILENCERS, CDs OR OR CARS

Jeee'sus' I ate it wen peeple pos't on ere and carnt even s'pell the werd OPOSTROPHE.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote

See further comments from me HERE about criticism of apostrophes, grammar and English (half-way down the page).

Cazzy R

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Fireblade silencer idea is sound (groan), especially as being a V6 application with twin side pipes the restriction will be halved compared to most Seven type cars.
Fireblade = 125-130 bhp per can(?)
V6 Cologne= 75-80 bhp per can.

No problem silence is golden I reckon.

Cazzy R

westf27

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
...,,,,;:[}#~@'!"?£$%%&^*)(_+ put them where you want them,I'll or I will come back later when he's offline
NS Dev

posted on 1/3/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cazzy R
I think the Fireblade silencer idea is sound (groan), especially as being a V6 application with twin side pipes the restriction will be halved compared to most Seven type cars.
Fireblade = 125-130 bhp per can(?)
V6 Cologne= 75-80 bhp per can.

No problem silence is golden I reckon.

Not that simple I'm afraid!

There are other factors than simple bhp at work here!

My Cologne engine with three silencers is louder than my XE with one small straight through one, yet the XE is 200hp and the cologne is only 150 hp.

The reason that the question was asked to start with is that two silencers were not quiet enough, something I can easily concur with. a pair of 6" dia 20" long straight through design ones will almost certainly not be quiet enough.

rusty nuts

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by graememk

Suggest all you like. I shouted deliberatly.

Lose one housepoint for bad spelling . Or did you do it deliberately?

Simon

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Make'm!

Two 5" dia. tubes, two 2" dia tubes, some 2" perforated tubes, steel plate, a couple of exit ends, and some wool like stuff.

Weld the perforated and plain 2" dia tube together - with the angle for your car's (possessive, so there (not their) is an apostophe)) side. Make a plate to (not too/two) go over the join of 2" (plain and perf) and weld in place (at the correct angle - perpendicular to perforated tube). The plain 2” connects to the manifold pipes (plural, therefore no apostrophe).

Make another plate that fits (snuggly) inside the 5” dia tube at the other end, put a hole in the middle large enough for tail pipe and weld on the tail pipe.

You want perforated tube slightly (1/2”) longer than outer can, but smaller than tail pipe - this will slot into the tailpipe hole of rear plate.

Fill with wadding, insert tail piece (not peace) and weld up.

ATB

Simon

NS Dev

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
that's what I was suggesting with the stainless chimney flue pipe as the outer casing, except use 6.75" pipe for the casing to get the silencing volume up a bit.

Cazzy R

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
.........a pair of 6" dia 20" long straight through design ones will almost certainly not be quiet enough.

Nah! I mean original equipment Fireblade (or R1 etc) silencers (i.e quiet) not aftermarket cans (i.e. loud).
The reference to the power output was to illustrate that the power output of the engine was well within the design limits of the OE Fireblade exhaust.
IMHO I don't think your comparison with 3 straight thru' silencers on your XR4x4 with 2 properly baffled silencers on a seven be it fireblade or whatever, is valid.

Cazzy R

Chippy

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advise, and comments. Especialy liked your english lesson Simon, very informative. I think that I will go the "make your own" route, as I rather fancy having a piece of flue pipe stuck up the sides, cool.
Oh! and Smart51 I,m so sorry that somebody stole your lolly pop, and kicked your teddy bear, but 's's's's's. By the way your spelling is pretty poor!.

[Edited on 1-3-06 by Chippy]

Simon

posted on 2/3/06 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Chippy,

Definately worth having a go for yourself - so much cheaper - which is good

I'm sure my English isn't that good really - quite prefer John Cleese's Roman Centurion speech in Life of Brian.

You should be able to make your cans for about £30 each - probably cheaper.

ATB

Simon

NS Dev

posted on 2/3/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not with the stainless outers, they raise the price quite a bit, but still way cheaper than buying them!

I was going to make the one for my 7 the same way, but then happened on a Caterinvan R500 carbon fibre one on ebay and got it for £80 so that changed plans a bit!

Chippy

posted on 2/3/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Simon, revise your price upwards a bit. Ordered all the parts to produce two cans, came to £164.93 inc VAT and delivery. But if they do the job it's money well spent. ATB Ray.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.