Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine placement
ADD

posted on 1/3/06 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
engine placement

HI All,
Just a quick bit of re-assurance please. I am going roughly by the tiger avon dimentions in builing my own chassis and have gotten to placing engine and box. I have done some mods and am managing to fit them alot futher back than tiger specify. I am wondering if its going to be OK before I go to much further. I cant see any problem but Im not 100% sure about it. Constructive comments welcomed as always.

Cheers

Adam Rescued attachment engine placing.jpg
Rescued attachment engine placing.jpg

donut

posted on 1/3/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Have you done the footwells yet? Make sure you have enough room for your feet & pedals.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 1/3/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats how far ive got mine back but like Donut says mind the footwells as they get a tad small, im going to grind a bit of the starter motor case on the gearbox away as starter doesnt go in that far so your get a bit more room in passengers side
Peteff

posted on 1/3/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's about like that in the locost chassis. I made the tunnel after I placed the engine and box and it puts the gearlever in a better position as well. There's lots of room on the passenger side, their legs don't go anywhere near the end of it.

[Edited on 1/3/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ADD

posted on 1/3/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not done the foot wells yet. Its going to be a bit cramped. I cant find any problem with SVA just for the peddles being close together unless anyone knows different..........
lsdweb

posted on 1/3/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is about your limit.

Wyn

gary gsx

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thats tight
Humbug

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure there is enough room for the clutch release arm...
JoelP

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
i once put an engine so far back that the exhaust had to go forward to clear the mastercylinder

Id always allow a few inches extra for the pedals, once you settle in and start moving you feet you will probably decide you need a little more space!

pewe

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know how /where the following will run but make sure you consider steering column run, battery and master cylinder location, prop shaft length. Good luck, Pewe.
Mark Allanson

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure that the rear end of the gearbox doesn't coincide with any transmission tunnel uprights or you will struggle with brake/fuel pipes and loom. The width of the figure 8 end of the box is about 15mm narrower than a book tunnel internal measurement.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

02GF74

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ADD
Not done the foot wells yet. Its going to be a bit cramped. I cant find any problem with SVA just for the peddles being close together unless anyone knows different..........

I'll need to check but I am prettuy sure I read there is some minimum spacing between pedals.... will check this one.

britishtrident

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a few very significant differences from the book chassis -- no quick answer.
Peteff

posted on 1/3/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
This is where mine is
Engine position
Engine position
As said before leave room for the clutch arm and build the tunnel round the box so you can get the reverse switch in etc. If you don't drive in rigger boots there will be room for your feet. Moving it further back helps with the alternator as it is in a wider part of the engine bay, I just fitted a shorter belt and the column clears it better as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bimbleuk

posted on 2/3/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
All I can add is think about access for servicing or maintenance.

If for example you were to remove the engine but leave the GBX in situ. Can you access the bolts for this?

Peteff

posted on 2/3/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I can undo the bolts on mine and lift it out or drop it and lift the car off of it no problem but it's easier to take it out with the box so you don't have to line it up on the splines to refit it.

yours, Pete

jon_boy

posted on 2/3/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
there must be a minimum distance apart for pedals as they can fail an mot for it if you change the pedals to new ones and put em in the wrong place. think its about 30mm between each..
02GF74

posted on 2/3/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jon_boy
there must be a minimum distance apart for pedals as they can fail an mot for it if you change the pedals to new ones and put em in the wrong place. think its about 30mm between each..

I had quick scan in SVA book but could not find it; I am sure I have seen the spec. as it got me worried that mine are too close together. Must look harder.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.