Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0 DOHC 1992 FORD SIERRA
ady77

posted on 8/3/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 DOHC 1992 FORD SIERRA

Hi can some one please help me. I am building a GTS locost. The donor car I am using is a 1992 ford sierra 2.0 dohc single carb. The engine has covered 96000 miles and runs really sweet. It seems to have plenty of power, 110mph and still pulling like a train.
The gearbox fitted to this engine is an mt75 five speed. Can any one tell me if this engine would fit ok, and would it be suitable? What would I need to do to tune this engine?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

PaulBuz

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Firstly to warn you the Dohc is not a well liked engine on this forum.
HOWEVER, its what i,m using & is far superior to the pinto in many ways. (lighter, lower c of g, more power, LOTS more torque)
I am not familiar with the GTS chassis, but I can say that it fits into a book chassis with ease.
The only prob. you may have is with the MT75 in the g/ tunnel, it depends how wide it is.
One of the reasons the engine is not liked is a lack of tuning parts.
If you are handy there are several things that you can do to incraese power.
On the carbed engine, change the inlet cam for the inj. one.
Get/make a tubular manifold for the exhaust.
Go & look on the FSOC forum.
This is by far the engine of choice there(over the pinto)There are plenty of DOHC engines on there running from 130ish to 240BHP(turbo).
You will here a lot of things about the heads being the weak point .This is true to a degree but then any engine with an alloy head is prone to warpage.(K series?)
This is my engine with twin carbs

[Edited on 8/3/06 by PaulBuz] Rescued attachment Picture 466.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 466.jpg

ATB
Paul

flak monkey

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on my website:

http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/downloads.htm

In the pdf downloads theres the build manual for the GTS.

The DOHC will fit and GTS make engine mounts for them as well.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big_wasa

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
The question should not be if you could use the engine because the answer is yes, But would you want to?
For off the shelf tuning, forget it Any thing you want will need to be custom made. You will be looking at installation costs that match the zetec or other engines unless you can do the fabrication yourself.
Also look at the cost of doing a simple job such as the head gasket, you are talking big bucks. Don’t get me wrong mine was a great engine in the sierra with very good torque and around 100 bhp. It was good fun and would be more so in a car half its weight. But having done a bit of homework on spares and tuning I gave mine away keeping the gearbox.

Imho a 1.6 or 1.8 zetec will give 100-150 bhp for not a huge outlay.

1.6 l Zetec low miles £50
38mm bike carbs £30
Bogg Bro’s manifold and carb work £200ish
Megajolt ecu £100

Would be some of the extra things you would need but will allow a lighter engine with of the shelf tuning when funds allow.

I’m building my own chassis to Gts plans ish and found the engine and box will fit but I shifted the passengers side of the transmission tunnel over 3/4 " to get it further back in the chassis to where I wanted it. The Dohc is a tall engine and you will need to mod the sump and the alternator as it hangs a long way out.You’re your guy for all things Dohc is Paul Buzz,

All this is just my opinion !

big_wasa

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Beaten to it by the man him self. Is it on the road yet Paul ?

I moved the engine and box for two reasons first to get the engine and box back in the chassis and second to allow a better prop line for a live back axle.

Pic is before mods.

[Edited on 10/3/06 by big_wasa]

ady77

posted on 8/3/06 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 DOHC 1992 FORD SIERRA

Thank you all for replying to my questions so quickly. It is reassuring to see that the ford 2.0 DOHC/mt75 gearbox is being used in the locost. I have some question may be paulBuz could help me? How much did you have to cut off the bottom of your sump and was it difficult? How did you get around the clearance for you alternator? And did you have to move tubes G1 and G2 to mount the engine; did you have to make your own engine mounts/brackets? I really appreciate all your help.

Ady77

PaulBuz

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ady
I had to cut around 1.5" from the bottom of the sump. I then contiued the bottom forward to try & recover some capacity. Rescued attachment Picture 524.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 524.jpg

ATB
Paul

PaulBuz

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
another Rescued attachment Picture 526.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 526.jpg

ATB
Paul

PaulBuz

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
finally Rescued attachment Picture 532.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 532.jpg

ATB
Paul

PaulBuz

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
The sump was migged with my Clarke mig welder. I can be done it just takes the right settings.
The alternator was a NIGHTMARE!!!
There is very little room left after the steering coloum & inlet manifold.
One of my customers repairs starters & alternators for a living said that an alternator will happily work just as well backwards, so I made the setup in the pic.
BIg Wasa
No still not on the road I,m afraid. Its one of the downfalls of building a 'book ' car.
I only get around 4hrs a week to work on my car, so progress is slow Rescued attachment ebay stuff 075.jpg
Rescued attachment ebay stuff 075.jpg

ATB
Paul

big_wasa

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
yep know what you mean Paul spent more time building the kids flatpacked swing than doing th locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.