Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MP3 music and stuff.. where's it going?
donut

posted on 9/3/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
MP3 music and stuff.. where's it going?

Recently i have bought a couple of albums from iTunes and have been really pleased as it gives me a chance to listen to music before purchasing. After talking to a friend it occured to me that aswell as me and him, a few people are recording their CD's to their PC and now with MP3 Hifi available it looks like CD's will soon be made redundant. All you will need to do is plug your iPod or MP3 player into your new hifi unit or use the hard drive version and play whatever music you wish without having to go get the CD and pop it into the machine and change it when finished.

Is there anyone already using this technology or intends to. I am as my PC is rigged up to an amp and speakers in my office so i can listen to endless Bucks Fizz all day long without hardly lifting a finger.

[Edited on 9/3/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 9/3/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I've got plenty of CDs I've never listened to, just ripped them and put them away safely.

Play everything from the PC (get a good soundcard - though they are cheap as chips these days) straight into an amp.

Going to get one of these (or equivalent) when funds allow...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/02/review_squeezebox_3/

Gav

posted on 9/3/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
On a side note i get my mp3's from www.allofmp3.com apparently perfectly legal due to the small contribution they make to the russian music federation(or some such organisation).

A full album costs less then 50p!

donut

posted on 9/3/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough i was round desyboys house today and he has a netgear version which is wireless and plays music from any pc in the house through the hifi, very very clever and worth looking into. His was about £89.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Messenjah

posted on 9/3/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
i just plug my ipod into the hifi system and it sounds really good also if you take a wire with you you can plug it in to anyones hifi system so you can always listen to your tunes at someones house
donut

posted on 9/3/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it seems such a versitile unit. I gotta get one!!!

Andy

quattromike

posted on 9/3/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the same thing but then I thought about a PSP . Does it not like do the same as an mp3 player but allot of other stuff too like play dvds and games anstuff?

Mike

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/3/06 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I use laptop computers, mp3 + lyrics tags for gigs, mp3 music + Atomix for disco, I have all my cd music converted to mp3 , also sometimes connect to hifi and play albums with Windows Media Player 9.0........

I use Musicmatch 8.2 to rip the cd's to mp3 you can set the bitrate and folders if you are connected to the web it will find the album ,artist and track names and save in the correctly named folders with the names........fab

also have 512mb mp3 player which plugs in to USb port so you can load up approx 9 albums to take out..........1 battery hours of fun.......

In answer to your question YES I am using this technology

john_p_b

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
i'd say 90% of the cd's i buy now only get used once and thats to rip them to my laptop which when in my room connects to my amp so over 300 albums at the touch of a button far better than having a bag full of cd's with me all the time!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
my brother has a roku soundbrige running off our wireless network, all the music is stored network atttached brilliant

1000th post

[Edited on 9/3/06 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you want an MP3 player, dont by an iPod, they are crap Made of plastic and last about 18months before dying (well all my mates have!).

Sony ones are much better made, cost less for more storage, and look better too. Similarly Olympus ones are excellent and dead cool

MP3s sound ok through a normal cheap stereo, but play them on a decent seperates system and they are shockingly appalling! Sound fine through headphones though...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

donut

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like i'm running to keep up!!

Tis good this tecnology stuff!!

Quattromike:

The PSP is a superb bit of kit but i hate video games which is what id is mainly for i think. The memory is pittiful for MP3 storage and bigger mem chips are expensive. It does play DVD's however.

Microsoft are bringing out what sounds like a hand held PC which unlike palm tops, does everything your normal PC does at home. I think it's called an MS Organic or some such thing.

[Edited on 9/3/06 by donut]

Andy

trogdor

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I also use this technology, i haven't played a cd in months! i have a fair bit of music my self but am connected to my housemates comp via a network allowing my mediaplayer to play all his music too.

He has about 100 gb! there is so much there, we could play songs for about 3 months continously with no repeats! mp3 are great for my sound system as its not that good but it is true when u play they loud they start to detoriate and in a good system they don't sound very nice at all!

however i don't like ipods, they are amazing in the size, has anyone seen an nanopod? they are unbelieveably small! i think they are abit flimsy and easy to break.

i still use my mini disk player which holds about 5 albums in a single MD and lasts for 85 hours on its rechargeable batteries, this is why i like it so much!

tom_loughlin

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I cant stand mp3s - to me, when compared to a decent hifi, the sound quality is appaling - even when ripped at a high bitrate.
When i get home and listen to a song on cd or md on my hifi after hearing it on an mp3 player,or someones computer its like listening to a different song!
i realise mp3s is the way forward, but im not a fan at all. give me a md player any day!
Im dissappointed to see the demise of md players, as, to me, theyre by far the best personal sound available. I think ipods are a rip off, and mp3 players are nowhere near mds in quality.
Just my 2ps worth

Tom

[Edited on 9/3/06 by tom_loughlin]

trogdor

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i think at the higher bitrates they are pretty good, well not mp3's but WMA files at least which are based on the mp3 format but do sound much better.

i guess it does depend on the sound system, i only have a 50 pound pair of speakers and subwoofer.

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
MD's sound crap as well when you turn them up on a *good* stereo system. On your average comet/argos system you wont notice the difference. I have an MD deck on my seperates system, and still use it regularly.

I still have an MD player, and I agree that they offer the best sound in a small package (portable sound)

Sera

trogdor

posted on 9/3/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
my MD's would sound really crap on a "good" system! they are recorded in LP4 mode on anything other than headphones they sound really scratchy and theres no bass!

but they are great as a portable sound system. have also dropped it any number of times and it still works great! no ipod would do that.

donut

posted on 9/3/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit that i have had no problem at all with sound quality at high volume. I have a Cambridge Audio amp and Kef speakers and the MP3 comes from my PC. Ok i'm sitting pretty near the speakers but even turned up it still sounds just like a normal CD to me. Maybe i'm going deaf.....eh what.......parden...

Andy

JonBowden

posted on 9/3/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be well into HiFi, but I find the conveniance of MP3s makes me listen to them more.
flak monkey is right about iPods. My son got one last christmas (a year and a bit ago). Lasted about 10 months. Replaced under guarantee - that lasted about two months. All his friends iPods have gone the same way.

Jon

big_wasa

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
have even wired mine to the car cd player for those longer runs
quattromike

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ok been lookin at the sony walkman mp3 player looks cool I think it might be a purchace in the near future, Just need to find out where to get it cheap now

Mike

iank

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I rip to ogg format which to my ear sounds better than mp3 even at lower bitrates.

If you want to play stored music through a "really" good hifi buy a massive hard disc and keep them uncompressed as .wav's or compress using flac which is lossless. Both as as good as the source CDs assuming you use a really good soundcard.

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quattromike
Ok been lookin at the sony walkman mp3 player looks cool I think it might be a purchace in the near future, Just need to find out where to get it cheap now

Mike

When I got mine amazon were the cheapest i found (£20 less than everywhere else). I have an all black 20Gb NWHD5, very nice bit of kit with magnesium alloy casing. Cost £180 last summer (compared to the £220 for the equivalent iPod at the time!). Tough as hell, got some neat tricks built in as well

Sera

JonBowden

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'might be being a bit thick -
What's an MD?

Jon

donut

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Mini Disc

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.