Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic Mini - Sensible Everyday Car?
TimC

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Classic Mini - Sensible Everyday Car?

Hello all

I've got a new job (Indy really needs to go now BTW) which means that I lose my company car.

I want something REALLY economical and cheap to run and was initially thinking about a Smart or a Ford KA.

However, I've always fancied a mini. Could I buy something for £3k that would:
1. Be very tidy?
2. Be very reliable?

Any help appreciated.

TC

donut

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Yes but buy one from an enthusiast and if it were me i would get a pre 76 car cos the metal that the bodywork is made from is much better quality and it doesn't rust so quickly. Inface if you can get a restored pre 73 car then you pay no road tax. Try and get a cooper s if poss.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westf27

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Had a Smart for a year,fantastic in every way,drive one preferably a Passion I doubt you will be disappointed.Also had at least six Mini's over the years but its always 40 years old technology..still like em though
westf27

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
just reread your post it has to be Smart
Triton

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mini, but don't think it will go for ever on a gallon of fuel because you will end up driving it quicker than you would normally....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
In practical terms, just about any modern small car will go faster than the old mini, do more mpg, handle at least as well (or even better), will be safer, and will be far more reliable.

Whether the modern car will be as much fun, or have as much character, is another issue...

David

ayoungman

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Go for the Mini. You can get a surprising amount of stuff in a Mini. They are nippy around town and can be tuned to be economical if required. On motorways, they can be uncomfortable to drive after an hour or so.

"just like that !"

ned

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
economical and cheap to run i'd go for a 2ltr hdi pug 306 personally. Will handle well, stop better than a mini, be more comfortable, quieter, better on mpg and motorways, more mod cons and be a lot safer.

if you could afford more then i'd go for something with a vw td engine, but there are plenty of 306 hdis around for under £3k.

all imho

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

uklee70

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Get a future classic

I have heard a lot of good things about the BMW 318is E30

read PPC under your car picture

and £1000 for a good one

great handling practical and spares are cheap

Minis are great but not as an everyday car

Just my opinion

Lee

Syd Bridge

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
The Mini can be very economical, depending on your right foot!

My youngster runs up and down to uni, gets over 60mpg. 30+ round town. We put an auto final drive in, (2.9?), it's a bit sluggish if you don't stir the gearstick, but otherwise a great car.

Only downside is the ride, reminds me of the old springcart on the property. Too hard for this old fella!

A couple of good seats would probably solve the ride harshness thing though.

Syd.

Forgot to say, it's got a 1275 engine, out of a late Metro.

[Edited on 10/3/06 by Syd Bridge]

DIY Si

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Mini's won't give the best fuel because you tend to start arseing about in them. And since tuning them is sooo cheap and simple, it's very hard to resist doing something to them. The ride is very easy to improve and extra power can be had and is about as hard to gain as looking at the car is. I started this game a couple of years ago and have since given up on fuel figures, but can now do 0-60 in about 6 secs! Only thing is my car does 8mpg at full chat!! Very easy to make them handle like go karts and can be done by yourself with a hacksaw If you do get an old one make sure it's got the 7.5" discs on it or you'll have a heart attack every time you try stopping form speed. All round drums don't do much in the way of slowing you down.
Mix

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked out the performance / economy / price of an Elise ??

Mick

britishtrident

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Hello all

I've got a new job (Indy really needs to go now BTW) which means that I lose my company car.

I want something REALLY economical and cheap to run and was initially thinking about a Smart or a Ford KA.

However, I've always fancied a mini. Could I buy something for £3k that would:
1. Be very tidy?
2. Be very reliable?

Any help appreciated.

TC

As a hobby they are great fun as an everyday car no, they are just not reliable enough by modern standards, rust protection is non-existant although the 90s fuel injected cars should be better.

The classic SU carb version required constant tinkering and bi-annual rebuilds and the later "electronic" SU carb was a nightmare. The injection system used on the fuel injected cars although MEMS was never as reliable in the mini as it was in the rest of the Rover range, and DIY elctronic iagnostics with this system aren't catered for.

Really old 7" drum braked cars really don't stop well by modern standards, the later big disk/drum systems are better but still require much more attention than modern cars.

On the classic models the front balljoints need rebuilt every couple of years unless greased very regularly, the later cars with sealed for life ball joints are better.

If you want something reliable and cheap to run buy a Honda.

donut

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
.............and when you have finished with the mini you can pop a hyabusa engine in the back!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

TimC

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses.

The plan is (once we've moved house) to go back to a Lo(W)cost type (as opposed to a chrome £10k+ in parts alone, N2O powered plaything.)

As a result, I really don't want to get too involved with the daily driver - BUT as a petrolhead, I need something with character.....

Any more comments on the Smart?

Where's Smart51 when you need him??

Aboardman

posted on 10/3/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
here is a nice smart car

http://media.putfile.com/Diablo-19mb

andyps

posted on 10/3/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
A mini is great and as long as you aren't doing high mileage is fine as a daily driver. Last summer I used a 1977 mini as a daily driver for a couple of months - absolutely standard 998cc, thorougly enjoyed it, and I considered buying a newer one as my main car even though I do 20k miles per year. Didn't in the end as I thought the other person I share journeys to Manchester with on a regular basis may not appreciate the cosiness, plus I occasionally need a bit more space.

I keep contemplating a Smart (we already have 3 minis at home so I don't really need another) too, mainly for the economy, to use for my commuting whilst keeping my Fiat Coupe for special occasions. Would probably go for it but I have been banned from buying any more cars

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

MikeR

posted on 10/3/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
i've driven and been driven in a Ka. I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of my old mini 1000 (1973, still rusted but a day every 6 months sorting out the rust kept it going.)

On the plus side, its reliable, nippy, goes, stops, doesn't rust and has airbags....

not quite got the character of an old mini though & the 1300 engine feels a little sluggish, get the 1400 or 1600 and it will be a flyer.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I drove a hired 1300 Ka up to, and down from, the GrossGlockner glacier in Austria, including about 100km each way on a mixture of twisty roads and autobahns. 2 of us in the car.

Whizzed around with no great difficulty - the only problem I had was smoking brake pads caused by driving too fast down from the glacier! It's a bit worrying when you see whisps of smoke coming out from the wheel arches when you stop for coffee...

Mind you, the brakes worked REALLY well when they'd cooled down again...

The Ka is a really good little car - and it's powered by Ford's latest incarnation of the Kent crossflow engine! I'd guess that spares will be cheap, being a Ford.

David

iank

posted on 10/3/06 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
here is a nice smart car

http://media.putfile.com/Diablo-19mb

hahahahahahaha brilliant, want one!!!

Hmm donors still a tad expensive

[Edited on 10/3/06 by iank]

TimC

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I drove a hired 1300 Ka up to, and down from, the GrossGlockner glacier in Austria, including about 100km each way on a mixture of twisty roads and autobahns. 2 of us in the car.

Whizzed around with no great difficulty - the only problem I had was smoking brake pads caused by driving too fast down from the glacier! It's a bit worrying when you see whisps of smoke coming out from the wheel arches when you stop for coffee...

Mind you, the brakes worked REALLY well when they'd cooled down again...

The Ka is a really good little car - and it's powered by Ford's latest incarnation of the Kent crossflow engine! I'd guess that spares will be cheap, being a Ford.

David

I've still never told my mother that I actually set fire to the brakes on her Seat Ibiza!

steve_gus

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Minis are fun, but from a past age. They dont have the comfort of a modern car. But if you like to sit in a cramped position, have really bad neck injuries in a rear ender cos the seats are bad with minimal headrests, and drive the 2nd most unsafe car on the road according to govt ratings (2cv was worst) then its the way to go.

Ive had minis before, might do again, but it would be for sunday fun and not the 100 miles I do each day

atb

steve

ps - ive driven a couple of Ka's - great fun.

[Edited on 10/3/06 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

MikeR

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
i know people complain about the seating but ........

i'm 6'2" and people use to laugh when they saw me climb into the '73 mini but it was damned comfortable. The modern mini seats on the other hand are, errrm, well i wasn't comfy!

of course the old tild forward seat had no head rest, in fact nothing to hold the seat in place apart from the 2 tilting bolts...

great car though )

keep looking at a landy series 2a i drive past for sale every day wondering how that would be for a toy car!

MikeRJ

posted on 11/3/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Having had the experience of driving a Smart recently (a Pulse I think), and I would personaly rather have a mini having owned 5 of them in past (though a Z-Cars Smart might be ok!). In standard form they feel sooo guttless, though to be fair that's not helped by the frankly appalling gearbox that needs 2 week written notice to change gear. This can be improved by some tweaks to the ECU I've been told, and you can certainly extract a bit more power from the engine.

Handling is not bad, much less roll than I was expecting, but you get the impression that hitting a bump whilst cornering hard is likely to make it fall over rather induce a slide (I'm sure they are fine, but that's the impression I got from driving it).

Space wise, the mini wins hands down, you can get a frankly incredible amount of stuff into a mini if you are carefull with packing.

If pushed I could probably live with everything bar the gearbox, it's totaly spoils the driving pleasure IMO.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Smart won the "worst handling car" award in a recent test... tried to go through Hammerhead fast, and it failed to make the first left-hander - just went straight on and nearly wiped out the camera crew.

DJ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.