Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Torrents Pants????
Surrey Dave

posted on 24/3/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are Torrents Pants????

Is it me or is the use of Bittorrent etc a load of , slow hit or miss ***p?
D Beddows

posted on 24/3/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Patience is a wonderful thing - The way you've got it set up does make a big difference but if only one person is seeding what you're downloading and their upload rate is pathetic then it's going to take a while.

No it's not ideal but if you're not too impatient (and keep trying) you can get some very cool expensive stuff for free - errr allegedly obviously

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/3/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
newzbin to find the files on the news groups then grabbit to bring them down

chockymonster

posted on 24/3/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
newzbin to find the files on the news groups then grabbit to bring them down

I use easynews.
Ok, it costs £6 a month for 20gb but I get my maximum download speed and don't have to worry about misnamed/planted stuff and equally nasty law suits.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cerbera

posted on 24/3/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Like already said, invite sites are best or any of those in which you need to keep a good ratio (upload/download 1:1) to stay. People stay seeding to get their ratio up therefore download speeds are much greater.
Surrey Dave

posted on 24/3/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I obviously need to get invited somewhere then!
bimbleuk

posted on 24/3/06 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
As above I use Easynews new servers. I run a folding @ home farm (using CPU time to do research) of PCs at work to increase my download allowance. Usually get 170 KB/s consistent download speeds on my link and no UP/DWN ratios to restrict you.
Peteff

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
I use Utorrent and it works alright for me. It's not fast but you get there eventually. I usually leave it seeding after my downloads are finished to help out someone who will do the same for someone else but my upload speed is a lot less than download. I've used mine to download from UkNova for a while but the stuff I download is not the most popular so my ratio isn't brilliant. I've also downloaded Linux distros via utorrent and they only usually take a couple of hours.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RazMan

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Azureus is my chosen poison - I find that my downloads happen much quicker overnight.

Peteff, apparently NovaUK are now closed down!

[Edited on 25-3-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
olv

posted on 25/3/06 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
i use a comination of mininova.org and thepiratebay.net just pick torrents with a high number of seeds and peers and you're away

it's mightily important that you have a suitable port forwarded for NAT support if you are behind a router, or any bit torrent client won't work effectively and you'll get slow transfer rates.

[Edited on 25/3/06 by olv]

Peteff

posted on 25/3/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
UkNova not NovaUK

I'm on there now, they probably have full quota just now but if you try at different times you may get on. Here

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jasper

posted on 28/3/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I gave up on Azareus, too difficult to set up through my router. I just use BitTornado.

Try this site, very good:

Demonoid

They open up membership every few days, so be patient and keep trying. Once on there you MUST keep the torrent open and allow your share ratio to get over 1:1, or you'll be banned. I've got loads of great stuff off this site.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.