Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SUSPENSION PICTURES FOR RT-PLUS
Krismc

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
SUSPENSION PICTURES FOR RT-PLUS

CHEERS IN ADVANCE FOR THIS PEOPLE

I have a Rt plus and as the Suspension is different design to the build manual (For RT), i cant work out from the pics which way up suspension goes and which part goes where for my build, (im too the stage where ive cut the two top holes in the body work and need to eye up the bottom suspension arms to cut some other holes)

Also im trying to work out from the bag of raceleda stuff how that goes together as well?? The raceleda stuff is good gear and the guy who sells is a canny bloke but for that amount of money a set of build pics would be good?

here are some pics...

also..... should the push rod slide between these 2 tubes, and what are the fixings?

does any one have any pics of diagrams of what is what or can help??

[Edited on 27/3/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 27/3/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
oh and iraceleda is supposed to be handed.... hmm both boxes have same written on them so how do i know which is which???

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

G.Man

posted on 27/3/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
bottom should have a small stub, there should also be a spherical bearing held in with a circlip on the bottom..

Cant remember them being handed or not..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Krismc

posted on 27/3/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers g man

The raceleada is def handed but i dont know which is which cause they are labled the same!

The top aint handed but have 2 possiblites of the way they can go?!

And the bottom ones dont look handed either, they have to go the way up ive got them in the picture, as the push rod fits into the top sumhow?!?

and a bearing eh was this supposed to be in the kit !

3GEComponents

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
The circlip should go on the bottom, it's the same way Caterham have their wishbones.
3GEComponents

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
And looking at the raceleda's I would say that the main body isn't handed, but you assemble the steering arm and disc bracket to make a "left" and a "right".

But I may be wrong!!!

Krismc

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The circlip should go on the bottom, it's the same way Caterham have their wishbones

but what goes in the hole- and sumone must have a few pics!

eddymcclements

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
In your first pic the top wishbone is upside down - the top balljoint needs to be behind the bottom in order to get some caster.

It looks as though you've assembled the Raceleda upright correctly as the r/h unit, ie. with the steering arm ahead of the axle line. However it looks as though you've attached the bottom balljoint to the steering arm. It also looks like it's a bolt-on bottom balljoint for a conventional wishbone, whereas the RT+ looks like it needs a balljoint that's retained by a circlip as per the Caterham, as jroberts said.

You really need to speak to MNR because the design is specific to their kit (and because of this, they should provide detailed build instructions!).

Eddy

Krismc

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
In your first pic the top wishbone is upside down - the top balljoint needs to be behind the bottom in order to get some caster.

so the shorter part to the back of the car and the longer arm of the top wishbone to the front!

quote:

It looks as though you've assembled the Raceleda upright correctly as the r/h unit, ie. with the steering arm ahead of the axle line. However it looks as though you've attached the bottom balljoint to the steering arm.

This is my steering rack end ive attacted!........least i thought it was?!

quote:

It also looks like it's a bolt-on bottom balljoint for a conventional wishbone, whereas the RT+ looks like it needs a balljoint that's retained by a circlip as per the Caterham, as jroberts said.

ou lost me there im totally confused. sorry im a total amature when it comes to building cars!

quote:

You really need to speak to MNR because the design is specific to their kit (and because of this, they should provide detailed build instructions!).

Yea ill try and pop down his week, cheers for you help Eddy

and ps dont worry i havent tried to connect the steering arm to the hub im just resting it there for the pic

Mad Dave

posted on 27/3/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

ou lost me there im totally confused. sorry im a total amature when it comes to building cars!

I hope this helps. Its a model (section view) of a Caterham vertical link showing the spherical bearing and carrier. Your setup should be similar to this.

Description
Description

G.Man

posted on 27/3/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
there should be 2 shafts that fit on the top and bottom of the raceleda uprights...

that should help, its a left upright by the way, should help you see whats going on..

[Edited on 27/3/06 by G.Man]

Krismc

posted on 28/3/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
2 shafts, i aint got by the looks off it. i have one (goldern colour) shaft which i guess is the hub shaft for the bearings to sit on! and this pile of bits

Krismc

posted on 28/3/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote

Krismc

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that pic, so far im guessing im right up to this stage.

just this little piece im guessing its sumthing to do with holding the bearing in but which way up and in before or after the bearing?!!?!

just the top an bottom upright mounts, to sort out and which way up and round all the suspension goes!?! - hopefully sumone can tell me as i cant get to MNR til next week and would like to get sum done this weekend

[Edited on 28/3/06 by Krismc]

amalyos

posted on 28/3/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not using Raceleda stuff yet (bit to rich for me at the moment), but heres a picture of the RT+ with the cortina uprights, it might help.
amalyos

posted on 28/3/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'll put it in the archive, the attachment didn't work.
ned

posted on 28/3/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
this what you're after?:
mnr inboard front
mnr inboard front

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 28/3/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
this what you're after?:
mnr inboard front
mnr inboard front

brilliant, but im gussing the design has changed cause them parts look unhanded and can be fitted up side down but look at my bits they differ vastly- im sure this is just the process of MNR's upgrades!

look the pushrod fitting differs on bottom mount!

and the arm has differing lenghts on top wishbone compared to your pic

[Edited on 28/3/06 by Krismc]

eddymcclements

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I also think you have the bottom wishbone upside down in your photo. The two short tubes welded to the wishbone that the pushrod mounting bolt passes through should be on the underside. Look closely at the photo Ned posted and you can just see the mounting bolt peeking out behind the track rod end.

With regard to the wheel bearings, once you've got the stub axle in place, the order is:- fit large taper roller bearing, then fit hub, then fit small taper roller bearing, then large flat washer, then castellated nut or plain nut and castellated star-shaped washer then split pin.

Eddy

Krismc

posted on 29/3/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
POPPED to mnr today... cheers once again marc. (sorry to take ya time up again)

quote:

I also think you have the bottom wishbone upside down in your photo. The two short tubes welded to the wishbone that the pushrod mounting bolt passes through should be on the underside. Look closely at the photo Ned posted and you can just see the mounting bolt peeking out behind the track rod end.

yea i worked that out the other day and as i thought its just the thickness of the poweder coat which is stoppping me fixing the pushrod in place. cheers to mention it though!

quote:

With regard to the wheel bearings, once you've got the stub axle in place, the order is:- fit large taper roller bearing, then fit hub, then fit small taper roller bearing, then large flat washer, then castellated nut or plain nut and castellated star-shaped washer then split pin.

Eddy

i asked marc today where the budweiser bottle toped shaped bit goes or as you prefesionably said the 'castellated star shaped washer' after he finished laughing he said it fits on just before the split pin!!

think im sorted now, just a matter of fitting and spacing, once ive got it all together ill post up pictures!

Krismc

posted on 29/3/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
right here goes just spent a hour in the garage after tea and came up with this......

....please give me the ok!

(and yes i relise i have the caliper bracket around the wrong way.. it all has to come apart to loctite in any case)

oh and what do i fix the push rod with to the bottom wishbone? because i dont think that file will hold doing 100MPH......

[Edited on 29/3/06 by Krismc]

G.Man

posted on 29/3/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

oh and what do i fix the push rod with to the bottom wishbone? because i dont think that file will hold doing 100MPH......

I tried a bolt, and hey presto, it worked..

Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
well i aint got one long enough or slim enought to go though there!

on my list of needed parts i suppose

G.Man

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the bolt threads into the tubes, cannot remember for sure...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.