Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which ?!?
grf

posted on 22/3/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
which ?!?

Hey guys,

I'm still very new to this S7 lookalike thing ..

But I found a Robin Hood (finished build) for a reasonable price, registerd in Belgium.

I was thinking of buying this car first, get some more information, join a club etc in the next couple of years and then decide which car I really like and build my own.

As there is a big price difference between the robin hood and locost kits and the more expensice caterham and dax cars, I was wondering where this difference is coming from ...

Are the more expensive cars that much better ? or is it just the name you are paying for ?

To be honest I'm also a bit afraid of all the cars that are based on Ford parts, I don't look at Ford as the most reliable car manufactuer !
But there don't seem to be many options !

Anyway any suggestions and advice is appreciated !

zetec

posted on 22/3/03 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
What a lot of questions.

Robin Hood seem to do things different to most, not many fans on this board but they do sell plenty and have a loyal following.

The more expensive tend to offer a complete package with more custom parts. Using more of the donor parts keeps cost down.

The better fit and quality of the fibreglass used in the more expensive kits is easy to see, but that said companies like MK now supply some very good quality stuff. Other stuff like engines etc are much the same, you fit what you want, anything that fits a Caterham will probably fit a MK.

I too was not sure about using Ford donor parts. I bought a 140,000 mile Sierra and all I have done is clean the bits up, paint them and fit them. I had two worn CV joints but all the bearings were hardly worn. I have also fitted a Zetec engine which I have been told will do a easy 150,000 miles in a Mondeo not probs. The parts you use from the donor are mainly reliable, the unreliable parts end up in the scrap yard.

I would suggest you go and try some cars out, go to the shows and then build what you really want.

Jasper

posted on 22/3/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Dont get a robin hood if you want a light weight slim looking 2 seater that is fast and handles well.

I came to this forum with exactly the same question and a year ago, I'm now near the end of building of a scratch made locost with a ZX9 engine - I've no mechanical experience at all.

I looked at the RH at shows and was amazed at how wide and chunky it looked compared to proper seven clones. Zetec's advise is good, get to shows, try a few, have a look close up and talk to people.

Also beware of buying second hand as you may just be buying someone elses crap build, and may spend lots more getting it to where you want it, then realise it's a RH after all and want something else!

As for ford parts, just use the solid bits (axles/uprights etc) and stick a nice light weight Jap screamer under the bonnet!

[Edited on 22/3/03 by Jasper]

grf

posted on 22/3/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
In what way is RH doing this differently ?
I haven't driven it so nothing is decided at this point ....

It makes sense that using more donor parts keeps the costs down. But to what does that translate in handling for example ?

I know I should try to get a go in all of them but that's not so easy here on the continent. maybe I should plan a weekend trip to the Uk and visit as many manufacturers as possible...

Greg

theconrodkid

posted on 22/3/03 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
you should try to get to stonleigh on may 4/5th,meet up with us(we are the weird looking bunch)and have a chat/walk round

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jasper

posted on 22/3/03 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Speak for yourself John!

The RH uses much of the original front suspension (crap) unless it has the wishbone upgrade, and the cabin is wide enough to fit two Sierra seats, ie very wide.

Definitely come over to a show, you'll see all the manufacturers and talk to lots of people, including us (but do avoid conrod and PTM, they are both very strange people.....)

zetec

posted on 22/3/03 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no Robin Hood expert but looking at their sales info...

1) They use the most of the Sierra rear suspension components, fine on a Sierra but a bit heavy on a Seven.
2) They are bigger, you can fit Sierra seats.
3) Some models use a one piece alligator bonnet.
4) They are built on a round tube chassis, I have seen comments that fitting panels can be tricky as the chassis was not true.
5) The weight is more than the norm for this type of car.

I suspect there are advantages using custom designed components but don't get too tied up with going for the ultimate spec before you have had a look round. Going for the top end of the market means you will be supplied with every last nut and bolt, i wanted the freedom to fit what I wanted.

As said try and get to one of the large shows and take a look around, it's the only way. I was all set to go for a Dax!

grf

posted on 23/3/03 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise.

It turns out the the dealer that has the RH is also selling a dax rush. (double the price though)

I will go and have a look at the differences and see what will suit me best.

Just one last question, can anyone tell me how much work it will be to convert a RHD car to a LHD ?

Greg

zetec

posted on 23/3/03 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
With a Locost someone like MK would be able to fit the pedal and steering brackets to the opposite side for very little I suspect, then all you will need is LHD steering rack to be modified which MK can also do. You would need to look at which engine you use to make sure the steering shaft did not get in the way of the exhaust or carbs/injection. Suspect most firms have supplied LHD kits at some point.
bob

posted on 23/3/03 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Greg

Whoever makes your chassis in the UK can make it left or righthand drive,its mainly the steering rack,column and pedal arrangement.
Anything is possible,the links section should lead you to all the main players

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.