Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New bloke
matt.c

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
New bloke

Hi Locosters. Im new to this site and thinking seriously about building a kit car.
Ive been looking at this site for a little while and found out that you all know very much about building these kit cars and seem to be a very nice and very helpfull bunch. I hope to be sending many more questions soon. chat soon...

Hellfire

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
A big warm welcome to the madhouse, from Team Hellfire

andrews_45

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

Do it. I have been using this site frequently over the past few months and the help and support network is awesome...

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome. We are all most defo a friendly bunch - even the bec owners

What are you thinking about? I built a kit. Enjoyed the build process and just completed my first track day after registration in december. Most exclellent experience.

dont think about it - just do it,

mookaloid

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Welcome to the madhouse, flattery will get you no-where who was the sneaky sod that told you we are a "very nice helpfull bunch" ? you were lied to !!

Regards

Obviously you need to be able to spot the good stuff and ignore the rubbish

Cheers

Mark

Triton

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
We get daffodils down here before you lot do.........now that's the rubbish over with, this forum is just dandy

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt.c

posted on 28/3/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
New bloke again

Blimy. You lot are quick to reply. Didnt think i would have so many replies.
I badly want a kit car now but due to soon getting married in july my budget has gone down the pan But hopefully after that will be back on track with the budget. Avon zetec route hopefully?

stevec

posted on 28/3/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome, This is indeed a friendly and informative group A little bit of micky taking is to be expected, And generally taken in good spirit! Whatever you decide to build just go for it.Someone on here will always be able to help with any stages you are having a bit of bother with. And even if your central heating goes a bollock someone on here will know what the problem is.
All the best.
Steve.

omega0684

posted on 29/3/06 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
hi there as well, everybody always gets the post in and we all have our say......

ATB Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ch1ll1

posted on 29/3/06 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
WELCOME.
hope you enjoy your time on here !
just do a car and forget getting married
or just do both

Jon Ison

posted on 29/3/06 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Blimy. You lot are quick to reply. Didnt think i would have so many replies.
I badly want a kit car now but due to soon getting married in july my budget has gone down the pan But hopefully after that will be back on track with the budget. Avon zetec route hopefully?

I think you need too show your other 1/2 too be a photo that is pinned too the wall at MK's workshops, any MK regulars care too post it on here ? you know the one I mean.

Welcome.

DarrenW

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon a starter kit is a worthy Wedding present for your beloved to buy you

There are lots to choose from. I recommend going to a show and talking to some owners.

matt.c

posted on 29/3/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Asked the other half about the starter pack for a wedding gift but got told to bu**er off new table and chairs instead!! But dont worry, have own bank acount! Ha Ha
dave-69isit

posted on 29/3/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
welcome

welcome to the nut house
dave-69isit

posted on 29/3/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
were are you based

matt.c

posted on 29/3/06 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi dave i am based in west norfolk. Dont know if any one else is around this area?
clbarclay

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt.C

Welcome to the madhouse. Don't worry about the fact you're getting married. You have two choices.

1. Build a Locost. A guy called Ron Champion says it can be done for £250, so new wife can hardly complain about that.

2. Buy a kit complete. e.g. MK Indy, GTS etc. At the same time buy the other half a kit from IKEA (4 chairs & table). You don't have to splashout all at once. Both kits can be bought in stages, after all you wont have the regulation two children to start with will you, so 2 chairs will do to match the two seats in the Locost.

Also bear in mind you can buy your wife lots of uesful tools for Christmas and birthday. e.g. angle grinder and welder.

Wishing you a long and happy marriage and a short and happy Locost build.

Chris

P.S. You were warned it is a madhouse!

[Edited on 29/3/06 by clbarclay]

matt.c

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I bought her a pc for last christmas? Well i did want one too!!!! Dont think she would like any more presents like that any more!
But will run that one past her and see what reaction i get?

omega 24 v6

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Asked the other half about the starter pack for a wedding gift but got told to bu**er off new table and chairs instead!! But dont worry, have own bank acount! Ha Ha

"I have my own bank account " NOT FOR LONG YOU WON'T.
So spend it all now and get a kit. Once your married you'll need your own space as well (sulky shed) And you'll have more time once all the sex stops
Good luck with the wedding.

Simon

posted on 29/3/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Matt

Welcome

You can get married anytime, but you need to be young to build and enjoy a car So tell the future Mrs C.

Also, where she has to promise to "Honour and Obey" tell her she won't have to, till the car is built

ATB

Simon

wilkingj

posted on 30/3/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
You can get married anytime, but you need to be young to build and enjoy a car So tell the future Mrs C.
Simon

Reply to Simon:
Oi... Less of the young bit.. I just had my 53rd birthday last week, and the build isnt finished yet!.

Matt,
Welcome to the nut house..
A starter kit is a good way to go, buy the rest bit by bit, and visit the scrapyard a lot!, search Ebay. Never pay a lot for anything.

If you can weld, then build the chassis yourself, mucho savings, and can obtain other bits as you go.

Get the wife to help you. A flashy dashboard and interior coverings lovingly stiched by the wife etc... Get her involved.

If she wont get involved, then Ensure you have another bank account (same bank as your main one, so the post comes from the same bank!), and a BIG lock for the garage (probably best to secure it properly anyway to stop twats stealing your tools.

Ive been building mine for 18 months, and its a Luego Viento Starter kit (Budget Blaster). Why Leugo?, factory only 30 miles away in Peterborough, friendly people and good quality parts.

Visit a show, and would suggest you take your wife to Stoneleigh, I am sure she will see something she likes.

Ask plenty of questions, there is a LOT of experience on this forum, make good use of it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Vixus

posted on 30/3/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Think carefully whether you want to build your own car entirely from scratch and buy tools and materials or if you want to buy a kit that doesn't need tools that are as complex. There are some nice non-Lotus-7 looking cars out there.

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/kits/

...not that there's nothing wrong with a Locost.

{ e = mc something ~ processed meat ~ dA }

David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I agree - if you want to learn new skills such as welding, and want/need/desire new toys such as a MIG welder (and all the safety gear, gas, etc. that goes with it) then make your own. I found it very rewarding - building was as much of a hobby as driving (and I'm still modifying it). It is a major test of patience and persistence though.

If you just want to get on the road ASAP, buy a starter kit from your favourite supplier - go to a show to identify who fits in with your needs and pockets. And don't under-estimate geography, as it's really useful to be able to visit your supplier for parts and advice. Your chances of completing the project are also much higher with a good kit.

Happy building, whatever you choose!

David

wilkingj

posted on 30/3/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could always buy something cheap that is already on the road, and do it up. That way you wont need oodles of tools, or the SVA at the end of it
just a thought.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Simon

posted on 30/3/06 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

I've got my 40th coming up in July - so I'd say compared to you, that's makes me quite young

Anyway, I'm only trying to come up with some excuses

Happy 53rd by the way

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.