Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid engined Chassis
Schrodinger

posted on 1/4/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mid engined Chassis

I have a Tiger Cat and I am looking for a new project. My first thoughts were for a Locost but that is much the same as the Tiger and I would like to build something with a mid engined layout. However I do mot have the skill to design a chassis and suspension and I am looking for some plans for a chassis are there any about that I can use

regards

keith

David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/03 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno about chassis plans - but can you make your avatar picture a lot smaller, please?

DJ

poloace

posted on 2/4/03 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the time you can educate yourself on how to design a chassis. I am not aware of any plans that are available myself.
Schrodinger

posted on 3/4/03 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the Aavatar I have removed it now I didn't realise it would come up so big ;-}

Looks like I will have to learn to design my own, any suggestions for books software ect.?

Keith

Alan B

posted on 3/4/03 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Keith,

Check out Paul's books link.

http://members.rogers.com/projectlmp/useful_books.htm

Excellent choices that will get you started.
Also, check out other people's work...visit shows...generally immerse yourself...:-)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 3/4/03 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Oh BTW..you don't NEED any software at all...I have tons, but it is my work and I have to have it...:-)

Sure it helps...but you can get by without.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barker

posted on 29/4/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Easiest way would be to convert your tiger cat to mid engined.

I am using Lotus 7 front end, rons driver cabin a bit enlarged, tiger avon rear suspension and making up the bit in between to fit mid engined bandit 1200.

I got some pointers from the XTR westfeidl as well.

Its a long process doing it on the cheap - the easist way is definately converting yours - if you can bear to cut and weld!!!

barking mad

aplmack

posted on 9/5/03 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Pics?

Barker, any pics of your mid mounted 7 conversion yet? I am planning on doing somehting similar myself. Just not sure if I should go front engined car set up in back or bike engine. Will be putting aero eng. degree to the test and designing a spaceframe/monocoque chassis.
Schrodinger

posted on 12/5/03 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I realy want to keep the Tiger on the road while I sort something else.
Maybe the answer is to find a part built lowcost and canibalise that ;-}

Keith

Barker

posted on 14/5/03 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Will try and take some photos - new baby is slowing progress!!!!

did look at moncock - the Aluminuim laminate sheet is about £180 per sheet!!!! you also end up adding a lot of weight strengthening the joints to gearboxes and suspension etc.

Theres a great book on it building a terepin from scratch - Race and rally source book or something similar - will try and get the title from home

Pete

robinbastd

posted on 14/5/03 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
re. new baby- don't they slow your progress!!!!!!!!( but worth it.)
Ian

Barker

posted on 19/5/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
photos posted [under barker]
apologies for quality!

locost camera as well as car

pete

Schrodinger

posted on 28/5/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pete
The chassis looks like it's coming on well
What engine are you going to use?

Keith

kb58

posted on 28/5/03 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
"High speed, low cost," by Staniforth, unfortunately out of print. "Race and Rally Car Source Book" is really good for design info, but doesn't cover the Terrapin construction.
ProjectLMP

posted on 29/5/03 at 04:19 AM Reply With Quote
Allan Staniforth is about to publish a 40th Anniversary copy revised edition of "High Speed Low Cost". I'll let you know when it is available.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

JC

posted on 31/5/03 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
mid engined chassis

I have designed a mid engined chassis which is under construction at the moment. Will be a while before it is complete but I may be able to make plan available if you are interested.
Spyderman

posted on 1/6/03 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
I have designed a mid engined chassis which is under construction at the moment. Will be a while before it is complete but I may be able to make plan available if you are interested.

I'd be interested in a look.
You never know when you might see an idea you can borrow!

Be prepared to have it pickd apart and re-assembled tho'!

Terry

derekf

posted on 1/6/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC

I wouldn't mind a look myself. Let me know when they are available.

Derek

robinbastd

posted on 1/6/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Look forward to seeing a pic

Ian

Schrodinger

posted on 1/6/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in seeing the plans
what engine are you using in it?

Keith

JC

posted on 3/6/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis is being built for me and is 'in transit' between workshops at the moment - it's a long story! It is XR2 based with Locost front suspension, therefore anything that'll go in a
Festa should fit, or MR2 or bike if that takes your fancy!. It is a VERY minimalist design, think Ariel Atom and you won't be far out. It is designed to be a lo cost build. I have some photos of the scale model but none of the chassis as yet.

robinbastd

posted on 3/6/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Seems you're thinking along the same lines as me.

[Edited on 3/6/03 by robinbastd]

Jon Leeper

posted on 5/6/03 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Mid Engined Chassis

Don't know if I should have started a new thread for this but it seems to carry on so here goes! ;-) I am in a similar boat to kieth but without the ability/time to design my own chassis. :-( I am not a big fan of the standard 7 shape (heresy I here you all cry) especially the front end. The long cigar bonnet between cycle wings just doen't do it for me. Thus the idea of a mid engined layout, and thus a shorter(?) or at least lower joined up bonnet appeals. I am therefore looking to aquire, copy or just pinch someone elses design :-) The constriants of money prevent me from simply purchasing a 5exi, yes I am one of thise who love the front and think that I could learn to love all of the rest reasonably easily, so it will have to be a locost build. Any advice would be gratefully recieved,

Jon

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

Barker

posted on 6/6/03 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cheapest way Ive done it was to copy front suspension and chop the engine bay length in ROns book from 24" to two inch [to allow for lower wishbone bolts]

The scuttle will almost connect to a widened std nose cone thus eliminating the ugly bit you spoke of.

The mid engine bit is size to fit engine [ I am using a Bandit 1200cc] I was going to opt for a very narrow Honda VTR twin mounted side ways. the front sprocket adpater would then bolt staringht onto the drive flange of your seirra.

The rear end I am still designing but basically copying the Tiger rear independant suspnesion and sizing to fit - fabricated drive shfts [marrying up seirra hubs to chain driven diff]

If you really dont like locost / seven body - go for Le Mans style coverall.

CCC mag last month did a cheap alternative to the westfield about £9000

you could try buying body panels sepately to keep down costs??? from them or Martin

pete

Jon Leeper

posted on 7/6/03 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I had thought of that and was interested to see that there are quite a few pictures of the 5exi chassis floating about. Is it possible to get measurements from that and adapt to fit? Or does the chassis have to have the exact same body panels fitted for streingth/ regidity?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.