Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Rear Disc Conversion
smdl

posted on 29/4/06 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Rear Disc Conversion

I am using a Merkur (Sierra) setup for my rear DeDion axle, and am considering switching to disc brakes. I know that this isn't really necessary, but I am using Miata (MX5) front uprights, and I want to re-drill the rear discs to match the front PCD. I'm sure that this would be much easier to do with discs.

So, what do I need to do this? Unfortunately, the North American Merkur never had a disc option, so I can't just move the appropriate Sierra parts over.

I see various UK suppliers selling brackets for the conversion, so I know that I need those (are these used for mounting the calipers?), but what else will be required? I am thinking of using aftermarket supplier for discs and calipers anyway, as I want to go as light as possible. Does anyone have any Wilwood (or other) part numbers? It would be nice if I could find them on this side of the pond.

Any thoughts relating to manfacturer, model numbers, disc sizes, etc., would be appreciated.

Shaun

scoop

posted on 29/4/06 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
If the dedion axle is for a sierra and you are using the sierra drive shafts then all you need are the caliper holder conversion plates to fit the sierra discs, calipers, pads and handbrake cable to. A straight swap on my GTS supplied dedion.
coozer

posted on 29/4/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Where do the conversion brackets come from?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

smdl

posted on 29/4/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Great! Thanks for that, scoop.

Can anyone steer me to any lightweight Sierra rear calipers that retain the rear handbrake. My priorities are

1. Handbrake
2. Light Weight
3. Available in North America
4. Price

Also, what manufacturer and model of lightweight discs will work with the adapter plates and calipers? What I am looking for is a combination that I am sure will work from a mounting and disc thickness perspective -- especially if I have to order from overseas. I really don't want to have to send them back!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Shaun

Wadders

posted on 29/4/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
VW Golf Mk4 have been used, check out the link for a picture http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=42886
As it says in the post they wouldn't fit under my rims, so i ended up using Peugeot 206 calipers which are also an option, but quite a bit of work is needed to make them fit. As for light disks i used Honda CBR600 ones, on homemade ally bells. alternatively IMHO most standard car disks will withstand serious llightening on the back of a seven, as they are virtually doing nothing.
Hope this helps.
Al.

smdl

posted on 29/4/06 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm impressed, Wadders! You seem to be quite a capable fabricator (making your own ally bells)! Not sure I'm up to that challenge, but I will take a look at the Golf gear you have described.

Thanks for the info.

Shaun

smdl

posted on 29/4/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Coozer, you can find the plates at several of the UK manufacturers. Here are a few, although I'm sure there are more:

MAC#1 Motorsports
MNRacing
GTS Tuning

Shaun

smdl

posted on 29/4/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Are These a Good Choice?

Rally Design Hydra-Mechanical Ally Rear Caliper

Are these basically VW calipers? If so, does anyone know if they have been modified to work as a Sierra replacement?

Edit: Sorry Al -- I just re-read the other post you sent me to and see that you have already indicated that they are the same. Thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Shaun

[Edited on 30/4/06 by smdl]

[Edited on 30/4/06 by smdl]

SilverFox

posted on 3/5/06 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
disc conversion

shaun,
You may have a challenge here as the Miata is 4x100mm PCD and the merkur is 4x108mm. If you use the merkur rear hubs they have two large holes (22mm) at the locations required for redrilling, which makes changing the PCD a bit of a pain. The conversion is not difficult if you stick with the 4x108 pattern and use the Scorpio calipers with Focus 4 bolt rear discs (either the 10" or 11" SVT versions) with a suitable caliper mounting bracket which can be made from 1/4" plate.
You may want to consider using the Miata rear uprights and adapt the miata outboard lobro drive to the merkur halfshaft - either inboard or outboard. That way you get the 4x100mm PCD alround.
Try Dan at www.Deman-motorsport.com in Ontario. He is doing a Miata based setup.
Alf

smdl

posted on 3/5/06 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, Alf.

You and Bob are awesome! You always have great answers and are always willing to help.

I was jokingly telling someone the other day that Bob could probably whip up a Boeing 747, using only hand tools, over a single weekend, so that he could fly his car to Florida instead of towing it. It would probably fly better than Boeing's version, as well.

I'm out of town at the moment, but I will definitely start looking into this further when I get back home.

Thanks again -- I hope you don't mind if I have some more questions as I go along...

Shaun

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.