Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine lift
heyzee

posted on 29/4/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
engine lift

fitted my r1 engine in the cradle and fit it to the car,cut airfilter housing down a little and moved air intake hole.turned filter houseing round and fit it to the engine..now i have over 35 mm of spare room on top end under the bonnet,what would be best to use as spacers to lift the engine and gain more ground clearance with the sump..i was thinking of getting some bits of solid bar and haveing a 12.5mm hole drilled out line them up on the chassis brackets and weld them to them,then weld the lower mounts in ..can anyone see a problem with this...
stevec

posted on 29/4/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Beware of possible propshaft alignment probs by raising the engine more than a bit, I think MK think about that when they make the cradle.
zxrlocost

posted on 29/4/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
wouldnt bother leave it be
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

JoelP

posted on 29/4/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
lower is better from a centre of mass point of view. Is it quite far below the bottom rails?
cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 29/4/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
from one point of view raising it is a good idea as you can then lower the whole car and overall lower the centre of gravity as the sump clearance normally determines chasis height but this isnt always possible.
heyzee

posted on 30/4/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
when the engine is sat in the cradle and the cradle is sat on the brackets the engine sits about 55 mm below the bottom of the chassis rails.its just ive read on previous posts that some sit 50mm and some fit 25mm and i think one builder has even sat his level.would i be able to go over speed humps if it pertrudes 55mm below???or is there a big risk of grounding out??and if i get the sump chopped how mutch do they take off????its a 2003 engine im useing..
heyzee

posted on 1/5/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
how far down does everyone elses engine hang down under the chassis rails.and how far off the floor does the car sit????
JoelP

posted on 1/5/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
my engine is 1" below the bottom of the car, and around 4" off the ground. Hence car is closer to 5" up.
zxrlocost

posted on 1/5/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
my r1 engine is low to the floor its a racing car really

if you mess have you thought about coolant pipes etc etc etc

my car goes over normal speed ramps ok

but I wouldnt bother with the twin ramps ie the two side by side

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.