Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyboard/mouse virus?
Humbug

posted on 29/4/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Keyboard/mouse virus?

Does anyone know of a virus that attacks the mouse and keyboard?

My daughter was using the other PC and the keyboard stopped working properly - some keys do something, but don't actually type normal letters. The left mouse button doesn't run the programs on the task bar (which should run with a single click), but instead shows properties (which should be right click then select Properties... which still works)

Alternatively, if I have somehow screwed the settings, which would they be? I have looked at the Control Panel settings for keyboard and mouse and all looks OK.

I also tried to do a System Restore, but can't get past a certain point$ because it needs either the mouse button or a keyboard input to work in order to continue!

It's Windows XP SP2, btw

caber

posted on 29/4/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sticky soft drink in the keyboard syndrome! If it is USB then the problem is with the mouse and keyboard probably.

Caber

Messenjah

posted on 30/4/06 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
if its running windows XP this is usually a problem with a little "program" called sticky keys caused by holding down shift+ctrl for ay length of time and then basically you can let go and they stay held down as far as the PC is concerned in the bottom right of the task bar there will be a little image of some keys in a cluster and some will be black others will be clear you need to click on it and turn it off alternatively i think you can do it by pressing the shift or ctrl key again cant remember lol
Humbug

posted on 30/4/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, but it's not sticky keys - either the ones caused by Coke on the keyboard, or the keyboard setting

Avoneer

posted on 30/4/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Try a different mouse or keyboard just to eliminate.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 30/4/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Try http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/ which will pick up any nasties floating about.

If it doesn't then I'd have gone for stickykeys too

britishtrident

posted on 30/4/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Check the mouse isn't plugged into the keyboard socket.

Oh and always swich off before unplugging/re-plugging mice/keyboard on a lot of motherboards it can cause major damage.

tri

posted on 30/4/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
something like this used to happen to my old pc but i could just hit the right mouse button and it would fix itself

The key board could be something to do with one of the alt buttons "locking" on and it will only let a few of the buttons work happened to me old pc but i dunno what made it or how i fixed it just hit them a few times.

Thats all i know i no expert and i wouldn't say it works alll the time.

Tri

Humbug

posted on 30/4/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
My saviour!

I went and looked at the keyboard closely and saw that the AltGr key was very slightly down. I prised it off and there was all sorts of crap underneath - hairs, crumbs, bits of rubber rubbings (eraser, not Johnny!), etc. I used teenage daughter's industrial strength hair drier on cold setting and gave the keyboard a good blow (oo-er!) and now everything seems fine, touch wood... anyway, I am able to type this! To test, I tried typing and using the mouse with the AltGr key pressed, and go the same results as the probem before.

Thanks again, Tri, and to all the other peeps who made suggestions.

P.S. looks like it was a sticky key after all!

quote:
Originally posted by tri
something like this used to happen to my old pc but i could just hit the right mouse button and it would fix itself

The key board could be something to do with one of the alt buttons "locking" on and it will only let a few of the buttons work happened to me old pc but i dunno what made it or how i fixed it just hit them a few times.

Thats all i know i no expert and i wouldn't say it works alll the time.

Tri

[Edited on 30.04.2006 by Humbug]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.