Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aero screens / windscreens
Metal Hippy™

posted on 20/12/01 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Aero screens / windscreens

My mate and I have come to the conclusion that when we have got to that stage, we want an aeroscreen.

Basically what I'm asking is what's out there.

Anyone else using one?

Rich. (4.50am)

Pablo

posted on 20/12/01 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Im gonna put one on mine too.
It saves a lot of work just to please the SVA examiner and it looks a damm sight better than a full screen, dunno about practicality tho I guess its better with a full one. I can do that later anywayz.

Pablo

merlin

posted on 20/12/01 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Demon Tweeks offer traditional chrome aero-screens (also the Caterham deflector which looks quite sexy!) or the ultimate (if you can afford the £200!!) is the Westfield screen offered on the bike powered cars or you can do as I have done and make some 'plugs' from wood and have some vacuum formed.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Metal Hippy™

posted on 20/12/01 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Goggles are a good plan I would have thought....

Vacuum forming? Never thought of that..

Where and how much?

Rich.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

merlin

posted on 20/12/01 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I got my vacuum forming done as a favour in High Wycombe but I am told it is not expensive if you make your own plugs. The ones on my car are made from a carbon fibre replica plastic and look the dogs (in my opinion). Goggles, try a full face crash hat. (drove to LeMans in a Westfield and it's bloody cold let me tell you!!)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 20/12/01 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised Merlin - you're about 5 miles down the A40 from my place in Denham...!

Back on the subject - who do you know in High Wycombe? Would be interested in getting a few bits and pieces done for my XR2000.

Chris

mad-butcher

posted on 22/7/02 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
aeroscreens and trim try woolies at
woolies-trim.co.uk sva compliant aeroscreen £52.27 ea plus mr blairs 17.5% cut
no connection

Nick Davison

posted on 22/7/02 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a silver Tiger 6 with a plue perspex aero screen the full width of the car it looked realy good. The two colours and the screen that is!
Nick

donut

posted on 4/9/02 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
When i get my car built i intend putting on an aero screen but the only thing that worries me is if the car in front throws up a stone or something. What do you think the chances of this happening are? I'm only going to use the car to blast round a couple mornings a week and the odd track day.

Andy

Jon Ison

posted on 4/9/02 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
wear a skid lid M8........

locodude

posted on 4/9/02 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it's an MK scuttle purchase a screen from PTM as he/I/me has a template!
Chris PTM
sorry for the blatent plug!

bob

posted on 4/9/02 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
Did you go through SVA with with the aeroscreen?

locodude

posted on 4/9/02 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes came the reply. Check out the pics on my website for SVA story etc...
bob

posted on 4/9/02 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yep,cheers chris

phil

posted on 4/9/02 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,
At what height does an areoscreen / wind deflector become a windscreen???
cheers
phil

donut

posted on 5/9/02 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
It's when the top of the screen is in line with your eye's i beleive.

Does anyone here drive with an aeroscreen and no crash helmet? If so what's it like and has anything hit you in the head? Also does it add to the fun??

Are there any toughened sun glasses that people use just in case?

cheers

Andy

donut

posted on 5/9/02 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Bob, I have just noticed that you are Bob the Builder -he he!
bob

posted on 5/9/02 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
bob the print finisher in the real world.

Bob not building much as i'm still decorating at the moment

StuartA

posted on 5/9/02 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that driving with an aeroscreen and no 'lid would be like riding a motorbike with an open face helmet on or with open visor. Not fun... ever tasted a fly travelling at 80mph (not that I would ever exceed the speed limit officer)? Its not just stuff getting in your eyes that you need to worry about.
James

posted on 5/9/02 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Does anyone here drive with an aeroscreen and no crash helmet? If so what's it like and has anything hit you in the head? Also does it add to the fun??

Look at the chips you get in your toughened glass car windscreen when hit by a small stone.... fancy that in you cheek/forehead?

On one of the build diaries the chap mentions driving to his SVA test and getting a stone between the eyes- big red mark hours later.

Also, someone on here mentioned the pleasure of hooning is around a country road and going through manure with his front right drivers wheel- not a pleasant tasting experience apparently!

Without a windscreen a helmet is a must!

Cheers,

James

Jim

posted on 5/9/02 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently driving with no aeroscreen and no helmet. I have a pair of scott goggles, they look a bit daft but are Ok for down the motorway etc.

Jim

Jon Ison

posted on 5/9/02 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Jim, i would get yourself an helmet M8, i started on the same route but sooner or later you'll get one in the clock, take it from me the buggers hurt....

oh, an helmet as the added advantage of putting 20mph on top speed as wind don't wee you off so much....

David Jenkins

posted on 11/9/02 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
...also there's the problem of windnoise - caused deafness in more than a few police motorcyclists, until they got the full-face helmets.

David

BTW: when I had a ride in Jon's Isonblade I got a fly-strike square in the middle of my sunglasses - would have been straight in my cornea (Eugh!)

bass

posted on 11/9/02 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
do the same as i did, i made 2 aeroscreens but the wind was too much at 70+ so i also made a fold down w/screen, had all the glass toughend was not very dear
semi42

posted on 12/9/02 at 05:31 AM Reply With Quote
If your worried you look silly with a helmet you can get fairly good looking fasionable safety glasses at ARCO. Safety baseball caps are available too (not sure if Arco do them)..thats my intention
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.