Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA fail, braided hoses...
hearnia

posted on 2/5/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
SVA fail, braided hoses...

Just got back from my SVA.

Failed on a few things but nothing major, one of the points was that I need to provide paperwork to show that the goodridge hoses I'm using on my Indy are suitable for automotive use?!?!

Any ideas where I can get hold of it?

Other than that it went pretty well, he started off as a bit of a tyrant but he soon chilled out a bit after we got chatting.

Fingers crossed for a second time pass.

Cheers
Joe

Never compromise on a good earth!

graememk

posted on 2/5/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
print your own proof, logos from google etc
RazMan

posted on 2/5/06 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Don't they have 'Goodridge' printed on outside clear sleeve? I would have thought that would be enough. I guess that if you need documentation, an email to Goodridge would be a good idea.
Looks like I might need to do the same then because I have got braided lines from the master cylinder right through to the calipers (no solid pipe at all)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
muzchap

posted on 2/5/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of TESTER is he... ?

GOODRIDGE... a name synoymous with the motor trade.

Did he also struggle to realise who the fcuk FORD were? how about Toyota - he heard of them?

Surprised he didnt ask you to prove your tyre manufacturer was suitable.

Hope I don't get one of them testers - the Goodridge braided hose set was supplied to me by Leggo - who have now been 'broken up' and put back into their box!

PS. Congrats on building such a nice looking car! Just checked your archive - looks absolutely mint - and really, really well built! Hope mine comes out like that

[Edited on 2/5/06 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

stevec

posted on 2/5/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
That stinks, what a nob

M HIGGS

posted on 2/5/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
scuttle aeroscreen

sorry about the SVA , nice car could you tell me how you fitted the aeroscreen to the scuttle panel i cant see any fixings
coozer

posted on 2/5/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
WoW Thats some gear stick you got there. Did he not complain about that and the lack of coverage on the front suspension?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

greggors84

posted on 2/5/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
This isnt uncommon. Ive heard of a few people having to provide this information.

Goodridge make hoses for everything, some of their products may not be suitable for carrying brake fluid.

Were they the hoses supplied by MK?

I think it depends on what test station you go to, looks like you have been unlucky. As suggested maybe a phone call to goodridge customer services and ask nicely for a letter. Have you got anything written on the hoses? You might be able to find a goodridge spec sheet. Did he say what he would accept?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

pathfinder

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
A very smart looking motor, good work!

Could you give me a little more info on your hoses please! Are they braided all the way to the master cylinder (an idea I like) or are they connected up to copper pipe? And are they the self made screw together type or the ones that come pre assembled and can’t be disassembled?

Sorry for all the questions but braided hoses always seem to be a grey area and it’s the next job on my list!

hearnia

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies I didnt think about contacting Goodridge. I'll send them an email and ask for a spec sheet or a letter of confirmation.

His reasoning was that Goodridge also make braided hoses for aeroplane landing gear which apparently have different characteristics, ie. they're no good as brake hoses. If thats all he has to worry about then I'm not that fussed it means two free Jollys a week up there with no plates...

Coozer the pics aren't as the car stands they were taken a couple of weeks prior, I've had a knob turned up by my friend and shortened the shaft (sounds painful).

M HIGGS I just simply glued it on there with some gripfill, its super strong stuff, I just hope it doesnt fly off and take my teeth out at some point.

Cheers
Joe

RazMan

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder
Could you give me a little more info on your hoses please! Are they braided all the way to the master cylinder (an idea I like) or are they connected up to copper pipe? And are they the self made screw together type or the ones that come pre assembled and can’t be disassembled?

Mine are a mixture of both custom made (by Goodridge) and modified (by me) You can get alternative fittings to cover all caliper types. I changed my front calipers to Wilwood 4 pots so I cut off the Ford fittings and retro-fitted the Wilwood jobbies - easy peasy
Having one long length of braided makes the routing easier - no need for fiddly joins & brackets.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pathfinder

posted on 2/5/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
But are the screw together type sva friendly? It’s a lot of money to spend if its not! I’ve got a pair of nice high volume Wilwood master cylinders that wont pass sva (no liquid level) and having interchangeable fixings would be spot on as I will probably fit these after. The sva is my big concern what do we recon to the demon thieves build your own braided hoses and fittings!
RazMan

posted on 2/5/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
But are the screw together type sva friendly? It’s a lot of money to spend if its not!

I know of at least two cars that have passed without a problem. However individual testers seem to differ on some points.

quote:
I’ve got a pair of nice high volume Wilwood master cylinders that wont pass sva (no liquid level)

I don't think that a visible level is a requirement - I certainly hope not or my custom made reservoir is doomed too!

Cheers,
Raz

Peteff

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have got braided lines from the master cylinder right through to the calipers

I know a rallyist who tried this and went back to solid pipe. The car was piped inside the cockpit and he could see the pipe moving under heavy braking and he said the braking feel improved after swapping back as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Some braided hoses are for off road use only - sound like the tester knows this.

I had an interesting point raised whereby i had to get proof that my fuel hose was suiatble for fuel. Mac#1 supplied it to me and provided me with a letter stating what standards it was made to - this was Ok for SVA. ie if you bought hases from eg Mk get them to give you a letter. I think SVA are just looking for someone to warrant them do they can tick the box.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/5/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Before my SVA I went visiting my local test centres (Norwich and Chelmsford) and took a DIY brake hose fitting with me. Both testers I spoke to said straight off that they wouldn't be acceptable. I got the impression that they wouldn't query crimped connectors, but would look hard at anything else. I ended up buying a set of ready-made braided hoses from Merlin, which have crimped-on fittings.

It's also worth looking closely at Think Auto's statement on braided hoses - basically they say that they are OK as long as they are inspected regularly, but they don't pass the TUV standards as they will fail after very high mileage - eventually the braid will break and may pierce the inner teflon pipe. We don't do those sorts of mileages but we should still inspect regularly, just in case.

David

zxrlocost

posted on 3/5/06 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
WHAT A LOAD OF SHITE!!!!!

is this the pettiness its becoming!

I presume you have the MK goodridge hoses as is supplied with the brake kit..

I bet you enjoyed thrashing it there I did with mine

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

greggors84

posted on 3/5/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
WHAT A LOAD OF SHITE!!!!!

is this the pettiness its becoming!

I would say this was petty really, brake lines a pretty important, i am glad that the SVA people are thorough with this as people could by lines off ebay or other places where they dont really know what their getting.

Brake fluid is pretty nasty stuff and will degrade alot of materials if they arn't up to the job.

[Edited on 3/5/2006 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

wilkingj

posted on 3/5/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I was speaking with Darren from GTS this morning, and he mentioned this. It appears to be the "in thing" to check at the moment. I wonder if they will accept the Goodridge bag they came in as its got the goodridge part numbers and states for Luego Viento. I now need to dig thru the dustbin to find it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

hearnia

posted on 3/5/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair its no big deal, was just wondering where to find the info. I had covered the braided hoses with cable spiral binding and therefore covered up the label which says they are DOT FMVSS 106 compliant.

Seeing as I had other shitty things that I failed on like the steering wheel (bus wheel now fitted) and other documentation like engine age and speedo top speed capability I wasnt too bothered about having to go back.

The weather is getting nice though now so I hope it passes next time!

wilkingj

posted on 3/5/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Write to Goodridge with the part numbers asking for a statement of compliance.

You could ask Rally Design, or any other supplier, including the kit supplier.

I have just dug through my rubbish bin, and found the Bag mine came in. It clearly says Goodridge Performance parts, then has a sticker below with the goodridge part numbers and then says "Luego Viento Brake hose kit"
Hopefully this will be enough.

Hmm may ring the SVA centre to check it is.
Good luck with the re-test.

Best Regards
Geoff

darrens

posted on 3/5/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
is this any use to anyone

details the uses of goodridge hoses

hearnia

posted on 3/5/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I simply printed off a page from the web after searching on google for DOT FMVSS 106.

Thats the motor vehicle safety standard for brake hoses and I have found that on my hoses there is a little yellow label saying 'Goodridge Type 1 FMVSS 106'.

I hope the bloke at the SVA place is clued up about the specific regs (I imagine he would be) and will therefore let it pass.

wilkingj

posted on 3/5/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger... my hoses just Say Goodridge and Nowt else... just been and looked
Looks like a letter to Goodridge.

Best Regards
Geoff

rally design

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Automotive use,brake hoses

The requirement to specify that the Goodridge hose is suitable for Automotive use seems to be the current fad of the SVA inspector at Gillingham.I have had to write several letters on behalf of SVA applicants to state that Goodridge 600 series hose is suitable for Automotive use.If the hose was bought through Rally Design I would gladly confirm against a supply invoice that this hose is used widely in the auto industry.
Hope this helps
Rally Design

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.