Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Braided Hose Update - SVA
rally design

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Braided Hose Update - SVA

Rally Design Ltd now supply a document to all customers purchasing swaged braided brake hoses, stating facts supplied by Goodridge (UK) Ltd. This document will be supplied to all future hoses supplied which are manufactured by Rally Design Ltd using the Goodridge swaging process.

The SVA requirements (VOSA) stated that the hoses need to have a tamper proof end fitting and therefore this document will only apply to hoses with the swaged ends.

Any customers who have previously had swaged hoses can apply to Rally Design Ltd for this document by supplying the invoice number on which they were originally purchased.

We hold large stocks of swage fittings and hose and have in house Goodridge tooling to produce them.

It is important that we all understand that hoses with re-useable ends are seen by the SVA process as not tamper proof and therefore will result in a failure.

We hope this helps.

RALLY DESIGN Ltd

[Edited on 5/5/06 by rally design]

zxrlocost

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Re usable ends

??

my braided hoses just thread into the caliper and tighten with a spanner????

and the other end bolts together with the coper hose end

ta

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

SeaBass

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rally design
The SVA requirements (VOSA) stated that the hoses need to have a tamper proof end fitting and therefore this document will only apply to hoses with the swaged ends.

When was the revision to state 'tamper proof'?

My locost passed with 'built up' Aeroquip brake lines and the tester was happy to see the spare I took along to show olives used in the construction. He informed me that an internal memo on the subject had just been circulated stating such fittings were a 'pass'.

This was in March 2003 and much debate has raged since.

Can you confirm the 'letter of law' at the present time....

[Edited on 5/5/06 by SeaBass]

muzchap

posted on 5/5/06 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
What do I do?

Seeing as my 'Goodridge' hoses - (like ZXR Locosts fitment) were supplied to me by Leugo!

Who are now Leu-gone!!!!

Will you give me the paperwork if I ask nicely

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

rally design

posted on 5/5/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Braided Hose Update - SVA

We have relayed the advice given from VOSA regarding re-useable fittings (socket & olive type) these are what they described as `tamper proof`.

We would suggest in this case that everbody check locally this issue as there does appear to be inconsistent attitudes from testers around the country regarding the rules on the hose ends.

bilbo

posted on 5/5/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
Re usable ends

??

my braided hoses just thread into the caliper and tighten with a spanner????

and the other end bolts together with the coper hose end

ta

chris

I think what they are refering to here is not the connection of the hose as a whole to other parts of the braking system, but rather the connection of the hose part of the hose (if that makes sense?) to the connector ends with the threads on them.

I hope that all makes sense?

[Edited on 5/5/06 by bilbo]

muzchap

posted on 5/5/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
As much sense as your Avatar!

Wibble!

A post so cunning you could put a cap on it and call it a fox from leicester

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

NS Dev

posted on 5/5/06 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
.........................So are re-useable Euroquip fittings classed as tamperproof or not???

I have them all round and I'm buggered if I'm changing them now!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

bilbo

posted on 5/5/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muzchap
As much sense as your Avatar!

Wibble!

A post so cunning you could put a cap on it and call it a fox from leicester

Mind you, sticking pencils up your nose does seem saner than some of these SVA regs

wilkingj

posted on 5/5/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well I emailed Goodridge and got a nice paper letter back (I asked for it in writing) saying their hoses were the best and were used in all forms of automotive applications from road cars to racing cars blah be blah etc etc.

If you look in the Luego Manual they show the pipes being made up with re-usable ends, ie the fitting on the end of the pipe can be unscrewed and used again.
These were very early ones, and Luego supplied me with crimped hoses already made up, and that was Nov 2004. They came in a Goodridge bag with Luego Viento written on the label.
These are what the SVA people appear to be talking about. If you have the Swaged / Crimped collar types of fittings that are hydraulically crimped to the flexi pipe they will pass.
This is what I read as being said.

Thanks to Rally Design guys for coming on the Forun to explain.

There are a lot if Luego builders who cannot get a supporting letter as Luego have ceased trading.
I think it a little unfair to ask the RD guys to supply a letter of compliance on a product they did not supply, and have not seen either. To do that could leave them liable if your hoses are fitted with re-useable ends or incorrectly assembled by the builder. After all Brakes are "Mission Critical" parts.. Dont take chances, and get it right first time.
IMHO... Take a piccy of them and Email Goodridge, as they are the manufacturer.
This is what I did.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 6/5/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
b*ll*cks..........

(that is a general statement of my frustration and not aimed at anyone other than a SVA person)

This car building is starting to really get on my tits!

iank

posted on 6/5/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just fit some cheap rubber flexies for the SVA that get replaced with braided ones when all that ugly trim/pipe lagging/rubber padding falls off?
MikeR

posted on 6/5/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
because in principle i agree with SVA and understand the reason behind lots of the silly rules.

I'm not saying some bits won't fall off my car afterwards and if i'm driving then i won't cause a hazard to stop and collect them.

chriscook

posted on 6/5/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
NS Dev - where are you going for SVA? My self assembly ones from Rally Design passed ok. The braking guys at work use the same type and that was good enough for me.
wilkingj

posted on 6/5/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
PS... Goodridge replied with snail mail letter, next day. I cant complain at all.
I take my hat off to the for the service.

Just drop then a nice well worded Email. keep to the point, and be nice and polite.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 8/5/06 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
NS Dev - where are you going for SVA? My self assembly ones from Rally Design passed ok. The braking guys at work use the same type and that was good enough for me.

Will be Nottingham. I've used them on many road cars and competition cars and have never yet seen a failed end. We burst an aeroquip hose in the middle but the end fittings never failed!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

hearnia

posted on 9/5/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Been back to Gillingham for my retest today, all passed fine, apparently they have been in touch with Goodridge who have supplied them with the paperwork to support suitable/unsuitable hoses that they manufacture.

Should make it a bit easier for those going through SVA in future.

Just thought I'd let you know the latest.

Never compromise on a good earth!

MikeR

posted on 9/5/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
so are olive's / reusable fittings unsuitable?

What if i solder the fittings together? use threadlock?

its all b*ll*cks.

NS Dev

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, and as for cheap rubber flexies, try finding them with the right fittings each end, and then bear in mind that my stainless braided ones cost me about £8 each. They are not expensive, and they are a damn sight more convenient than the rubber crap unless you happen to have a crimper to do rubber hoses, as you can make the braided ones to the exact length you require.

wicket

posted on 10/5/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've used the Goodridge 600 series hose and fittings (supplied by Merlin MS) and these comply. This is what its says about fitting in the SVA manual. Rescued attachment SVA_Section_16_4_note4.jpg
Rescued attachment SVA_Section_16_4_note4.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 10/5/06 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, that's what my manual says! That is no problem as the reuseable end fittings have an inner support sleeve in them, so why the hell are people getting pulled up on this one?????????????????????????????????

chockymonster

posted on 10/5/06 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember reading that someone got pulled up on this but had a spare with him and was able to demonstrate to the SVA man that it had an inner sleeve.
MikeR

posted on 10/5/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
that was my plan - i've got enough bits for one extra that i can take with me and take apart. That way i can show it complies to that bit ........ but the act of taking it apart sort of ...... errm, means its not tamper proof.

Then again someone could just cut the rubber lines........ how do you stop that tampering?

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Its the inner ferrule that is the important bit, as long as they have this, they are SVAable.

I had aeroquips from Rally design, pre made up (for a capri), and a spare end to demonstrate the ferrule if necessary at SVA. Terry at Exeter took one look and said 'Oh those - Fine'

Spare end remained in my pocket

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/06 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, that's good to hear!

Got heaps of spare ones so will take one along with me to show them if necessary.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.