Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover turbo to MT75 gearbox
piran

posted on 8/5/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Rover turbo to MT75 gearbox

Hi, I'm in the process of building a Vindicator Sprint Family ( 5 seater open top sports ) and have got a Rover Turbo engine to go into, I'd heard about Robin hood using the Rover engine with an MT75 gearbox so get an adapter plate from them, unfortunately the new owners at Robin hood don't know which MT75 gearbox the adapter plate fits ! I've got some images :

and this is (a very large picture of ) what I was sent :

but basically I don't know what gearbox I need to fit ! does anyone know or have any ideas ?

thanks

Piran

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Throw that lot away you need either a LT77 or R380 gearbox

The Rover T16 is from the BMC B series family of engines, so you can use parts from an LDV Sherpa 2 litre O series

Engine back plate
Starter
Flywheel
Clutch
Clutch release gear

The gearbox can also be used but the one from a Rover SD1 V8 has much better ratios.

[Edited on 8/5/06 by britishtrident]

Project7

posted on 8/5/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a bit strange - im pretty sure that the hole pattern for all MT75s are the same.

The difference may be the length of the first motion shaft?

When i tried to get one of those adaptor plates Robin Hood didnt want to sell it to me saying its only supplied with the Kit or something

British Trident is right though a LT77 must be easier

------

Just noticed that that MT75 gearbox in the picture has a massive bit cut out of the bell housing - cant be that great for stength

[Edited on 8/5/06 by Project7]

Liam

posted on 8/5/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's a V6 MT75.

I can only imagine the reason they've chosen the V6 one is because the bolts go in from the gearbox side into the engine (into their adaptor plate in this case). On a 4-pot box only the two top bolts go in this way - the others go from the engine side (through flanges on the block) into threaded holes in the bellhousing.

As you might know 2WD V6 boxes are like hen's teeth! You might be able to find one, or you can make one by merging bits from a 2WD 4-pot box and a reasonably common 4x4 V6 box. Or do as suggested and find the RWD box that bolts straight on.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 8/5/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
its more to do with what the old boss could buy cheaply !!! .

on the other hand - the gearboxes we have will fit the noble engine in the showroom .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Liam

posted on 8/5/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack, but hang on...

Are you saying that a V6 MT75 (originally intended for a cologne) would fit the 2.5/3.0 duratec V6s??? If I recall that's a question often asked but has never been confirmed. I personally thought the old V6s have a different bolt pattern to the duratec and the only RWD box for a duratec V6 would be the Jag S-type box.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 8/5/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
well , not having checked myself , richard seems to think that they do - something that crops up in conversation from time to time .

it could be that we have gearboxes to fit the duratec v6 - but arent actually the ones we use for the rover setup .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

piran

posted on 8/5/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for identifying the Box peeps - will now see if I can find a broken 4x4 box ...

I did consider the LT77/R380 route but the costs just went way over budget - at least with the MT75 etc. I should be able to use the Sierra dials until I can afford to get a nice set

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.