give my months notice
tell them to poke it and walk away

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: poll poll
theconrodkid

posted on 14/5/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
poll poll

ive been un-happy with my job for some time now,its going nowhere and the company is run by idiots who are pulling in different directions,making bad decisions and i feel its going down the pan.
yesterday i find out one of the directors who is never there is paying his wife the same money as me and she dose nowt for the firm.
what to do

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Hellfire

posted on 14/5/06 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
None of the above. Find another job first and then tell your current employers where to stick theirs and why.

JoelP

posted on 14/5/06 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
ditto what the wise one says ^^^ - but never burn your bridges! I once jacked in a contract as a bad job, managed to get it back and now its working right, its the best work (and best pay) ive ever had.
big_wasa

posted on 14/5/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
As above.

It's allways easier te get another job if you still have one. imho

pajsh

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Fully agree with the above.

I've been in a simlar position for a couple of years and it's driven me nuts

Start a new job in 3 weeks now so got my fingers crossed

Try and leave on good terms though.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

mark chandler

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would not get upset about directors wives getting paid, practically every small company will have the same type of thing going. Most MP's pay there bloody wives as secretaries with our money !

Just follow the above advise, identify a job you would prefer, once the post is agreed hand in your notice amicably.

Regards Mark

iank

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Problem is there as so many companies that are the same, finding the good ones is hard.

As above look for a new job, then leave on good terms. Telling them how you feel might work, but equally could end up with you needing to find a new job quickly if they are as bad as they sound.

p.s. the tax man might treat the wifes salary for no work deal as tax avoidance if they found out about it, but it's hard to prove she isn't doing anything.

Fozzie

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Oooo sorry to hear that John mate!
I can only agree with Hellfire et al, best to leave on good terms, with a new job tucked under your belt.

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

ditchlewis

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
As above. find a new job and then tell them that you are leaving.

if you want then you can give them your reasons.

i have just done that myself. the chairman has just streamed the business into 3 sectors and anounced it without saying how it will work in practice. told my sector director that this was the reason that i was leaving and he was over the moon to have some ammunition.

Just dont burn bridges as you may require a reference one day or they may have a friend of a friend.

ditch

MikeR

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
why has everyone got there first!

Just spent the last week saying the same stuff about burning bridges to a guy who's resigned.

You never know when you might need these people, despite what you think now. I left one company and decided to bite my tongue. Really glad i did as 3 months later i was asking them for a job.

Usually if things are bad, once one person goes a few others follow and hints are taken.

spunky

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
All very good advice and the path you should deffinately take, however...
I was made redundant a month ago after 18 years service, and i am currently going through the appeal/tribunal process. During this time I reflected on my job and realised that for the last 3 or 4 years I've not been happy at all so I've decided to get a few things off my chest. What a fantastic feeling The managers and directors are now fully aware of my thoughts and views. I have sucsessfully proved that I was 'wrongfully dismissed' and now they are worried how far I'm taking this. I'm gonna play them a little longer then take the money and run. It is really good to be able to point out their errors. I think the whole sugar industry will be dead in a couple of years anyway.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

ReMan

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
The saying is something like....
Don't make enemy's on your way up, as you may meet them again on your way down.

Col

JoelP

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
and 'make your words soft and tender, as you may be eating them tomorrow'
Spyderman

posted on 14/5/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I tolerated a similar situation some years back.
The job was basicaly good, but I was working with idiots and scivvers.
I put up with it for a couple of years until I'd had enough (or thought I had). I went in to see the boss and gave my notice. He asked why and I told him. We had a blazing row and I'm sure everyone elso on site could hear us.
Both of us got very angry and stubborn and neither would back down. I should have taken my own advice and slept on a decision, but insisted I would leave because he would agree to nothing.
It was amazing how things changed after that and I wish I had told him earlier about my concerns.
His attitude to me changed and actually showed some respect to me.
I was too stupid to back down though and regret it.

The moral of my story is, being tolerant and putting up with sh1t from everyone is not the thing to do. You need to stamp your feet and have a tantrum every now and then to make people listen to you.

Spyderman

theconrodkid

posted on 14/5/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the sugestions guys,i,m not the sort of person that does things sensibly tho.
there are 2 who do the work,3 in the office,1 who has another job full time but still draws a wage and 1 for his wife as well,i,m doing all the work at the mo,oppo has been on hols for 3 weeks and is working away for the next 8 weeks now.
i load/unload the van,drive the van there and back,even have to put the fuel in it,do all the work and take the flack if anything goes wrong.
i am not a complete nob and have run my own buisness so know what i am talking about,its the being treated like an no nothing slave thats really gets me down
tommorow i will act like a no nothing nob and see how well that goes down

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

DarrenW

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Never ever ever burn your bridges.
UK industry is close knit and incestuous.
Networking is very strong - you will know some good people - keep in touch. If you are worth your salt you will get another job. I have had my bad job - now have an unbelievanly great one - they are out there. Iam now a project manager for a comapny i used to work at - they are my biggest client!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/5/06 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Conrod, you need to get the 'draws his wifes wages' thing out of your head as its got bum all to do with anything.

If hes paying tax at 40%, paying his wife a wage (perhaps in leiu of some of his own, or a simple way of taking money out of the co at less tax) is simply a way of beating the tax man.

Hes not paying his wife anything in effect, its a tax ruse for his benefit.

what really matters is how you feel about the job, and what your own prospects/situation is/are.

I too changed a job after redundancy 16 months ago, and the job ive got now is a million miles better. I kinda told the other company what i thought, but at the end of the day, they dont give a toss. They have gone on in their fooked up way as before.

Most places i have worked have had issues of some kind or other, you leave, go elsewhere, and its just crap of a different kind! Look hard at what your perceived issues are, and that they are not just little windups in your head, like wifes wages.

Its what you get out of it that counts

the burning bridges thing is important too... ive met several people from the past who have had an influence on future jobs - the guy i got my new job i worked for 10 years ago. When my last company got sold, one of the bidders was my old MD.

atb

steve

[Edited on 15/5/06 by stephen_gusterson]

theconrodkid

posted on 15/5/06 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
i went in with a longish face this morning,had a minor (for me) rant about unloading 1 ton of stuff from a van on my own and everyone was soooooo nice to me

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.