Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a-level question (sorry)
robertst

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
a-level question (sorry)

am i right to think that when fitting the brake pipes i have to take special care of having each pipe exactly the same length as the other? it does matter right? i mean, if one pipe going to the front left is only 50 cm and the one going on the front right is 75cm, the front left wheel should brake harder than the other one right?

sorry, forgot my a-level physics.

Tom

gary gsx

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
They will be different lenths any way as master cylinder is on the right so pipe would be longer going to left, thats right or im going mad to
BKLOCO

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Wrong. Makes no appreciable difference.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Howlor

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure is the same in a hydraulic system throughout as the liquid cannot compress hence transmits the same force evenly.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
ok so heres another quetion, it will make no appreciable difference if the pipes are different lengths so does this mean that hydraulic pressure can be transmitted at infinite speed??

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

donut

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
What?? my brain hurts

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 16/5/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose in theory yes. If all systems such as the pipes, the fluid and pistons worked exactly as they were supposed to.
However in the real world things are never perfect and therefore it will not be infinite. For example, You will never bleed all of the out of the lines.

Andy

Liam

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the perfect hydraulic system is essentially a rigid mechanical connection, so should be as instantaneous as a solid linkage or [unstretchable] cable.

But that's now making my brain hurt!! Theoretically a long rod or perfect hydraulic system could transmit information instantaneously, i.e. faster than the speed of light??? Sounds like it would break laws of physics, but i guess it wouldn't cos that's silly... oh well.

Liam

[Edited on 16/5/06 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom_loughlin

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure if im right in thinking, there are forces experienced by the fluid from the wall - skin friction. at the start of the brake line, say d=0, only a tiny fraction of the fluid (i.e. that in direct contact with the hose is slowed), but as you progress down the line, where d is increasing, the proportion of the free stream fluid is decreasing with respect to the fluid experiencing the skin friction. this is where the the ideal values differ from the real values, and is about boundary layers.

I think

JoelP

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
neither energy, information or matter can exceed the speed of light. If you get a metal bar 2 miles long, when you whack one end the other end will not move instantly, a ripple of compression will move (very fast) to the other end, but the speed of light will never be breached. The same as hydraulic fluid, it doesnt noticably compress but in fact, it does fractionally.
MikeR

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, but as the speed of light isn't a constant and has been proved to vary over the surface of this planet, if you measure the speed of light in a 'slow' place and whacked the metal bar somewhere else it could exceed the speed of light.

(ok, so this is mickey mouse physics as it wouldn't exceed the speed of light where you are)

Macbeast

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
You have to take account of reaction time, ie see speed camera -- duh--- brake
MikeR

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
or if you're like me.

See speed camera one week at night while on the opposite side of the road over taking a car then realise the reason the road suddenly gets lit up is because its becoming a duel carriage way. Jump on the brakes to find out one caliper is sticking and the car is trying to turn left into the car you're overtaking.....

"OH-MY-GOD"

7 days later think.....

"isn't there a speed camera around h"
[FLASH]
BRAKE SPEEDO? Whats it SAY BRA
[FLASH]

10 days later i found out exactly what my speedo said.

(this was a few years ago)

BKLOCO

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not getting into this one!!!
I feel a headache coming on
Just don't worry about it.
There's more important things in life.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

JoelP

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Ah, but as the speed of light isn't a constant and has been proved to vary over the surface of this planet, if you measure the speed of light in a 'slow' place and whacked the metal bar somewhere else it could exceed the speed of light.

(ok, so this is mickey mouse physics as it wouldn't exceed the speed of light where you are)

true enough, but the real speed of light is that in free space

Liam

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
neither energy, information or matter can exceed the speed of light. If you get a metal bar 2 miles long, when you whack one end the other end will not move instantly, a ripple of compression will move (very fast) to the other end, but the speed of light will never be breached. The same as hydraulic fluid, it doesnt noticably compress but in fact, it does fractionally.

Guess you're right of course. Just that i was thinking more along the lines of a metal rod extending to about the sun. Pull on one end and it'd take 8 minutes for the other end to move. Well yeah i guess it would. How interesting. (and that's ignoring pedantic details like the fact i would struggle to overcome the billions of tonnes of inertia of my metal rod and pull it at all, etc etc etc)

Liam

JoelP

posted on 16/5/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
lol, bet superman could do it!

i must confess, ive never actually tested that one myself

[Edited on 16/5/06 by JoelP]

dilley

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
talk about wandering off the subject!!
MikeR

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

true enough, but the real speed of light is that in free space

Ah, but it can still be affected, its gravity that affects the light waves and speeds / slows them. Sure that exists in 'free' space.

(how come you never have to pay for space? who said its free?)

flak monkey

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
This reminds me of alevel physics when myself and a mate used to talk nonsense for hours!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

owelly

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

am i right to think that when fitting the brake pipes i have to take special care of having each pipe exactly the same length as the other? it does matter right? i mean, if one pipe going to the front left is only 50 cm and the one going on the front right is 75cm, the front left wheel should brake harder than the other one right?

Right, just to answer you question.....
it makes no difference to your car brakes, if the length of your brake pipes are not matched or paired. The longer the pipe, the more chance there is to get air trapped but other than that, it makes no difference. HTH.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

robertst

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
ok had that in my head as thought B. was starting to dig out my school books to see what you just answered.

how did you guys get from car brakes to discussing the speed of light?!
great forum. never seen one like it!priceless

thanks!

Tom

MikeR

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
easy - we started out on simple engineering, added complex physics covering levers, added distance and E=MC2

pah ..... now, can someone explain to me why a cat can survive a fall from seven story building but not 6?

trogdor

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
i find the whole thing about the speed of light being a fundamental constant very fasciating! a good example is if a space ship was travelling at half the speed of light away from a light source, the light from the source would still be travelling past it at the speed of light, not one and a half the speed of light!

the thing that changes is the time that is passing, ie the time is going slower for the spaceship than the light source in comparision.

[Edited on 16/5/06 by trogdor]

Liam

posted on 16/5/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
LOL

What better place to have a ramble about relativity?!

Ok sorry forget it...

Liam

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.