Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie
jimbo_7

posted on 22/5/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote

Hi Guys
Just looking around at 7 kits (after having owned a pre-built robin hood 2b some years ago). I think for my budget I am looking at a avon or a mk or a RB lightweight. Anyway how easy is the avon to build, I have not done this sort of thing before, I do know and have used tools before for various things, but nothing to heavy, am I going to find it hard and what are the build manuals like?

thanks in advance
James

DaveFJ

posted on 22/5/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
as an Avon owner I'd say - go for an MK...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

tractorboy

posted on 22/5/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
the mk sounds like an easier/better build. i am also a avon builder/owner. but the best advice is to go to both factorys and come to your own conclusion. cheers scott
ayoungman

posted on 22/5/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
As another avon builder, theres seems to be more problems to overcome with an avon. On the plus side though, Avons do tend to be more individual because builders tend to solve the issues in different ways. MKs seem to be more straight forward to build. If you want a project to get your teeth into then Avon it is

"just like that !"

cryoman1965

posted on 22/5/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, i had a very limited knowledge of cars b4 i started my MK. Collected the kit in Oct 05 anb have nearly finished.(is it ever finished?).
The build has been relatively straight forward. Nothing too taxing, just apply common sence and a bit of logical thinking, some guidance from this site and your there.
Build manual? A few bits are helpful, gives you a build order, although i used mine more to put the beer or coffee cup on. but generally it helps.
I originally started looking at RB L/W but am still unsure of the durability of the Ally.(No expert though).
MNR and MAC#1
also make very nice cars.
Hope this Helps.
Nige

Tiger Super Six

posted on 22/5/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I built a Tiger Super Six and would say that Tiger could not have been more helpful and have always offered a 1st class service to me.

As previously mentioned, everyones experience seems to be different and the best way is to go to the factories and see for yourself.

The avon does take more 'fettling' than the super six, but it depends what you want from a build - there are a lot of nice avons on the road.

Mark

Tiger Avon

DaveFJ

posted on 22/5/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I feel I should clarify my last (slightly flippant) post...

The MK does seem to be a better quality kit with less issues.

However I still decided to go woth the Avon. I prefer the look of the car and although it has it's problems (as have been described on here) I still thinks it's a good car.

Tiger have been more than helpful to me throughout and were perfectly clear in pointing out the shortfalls of the car from the outset.

BTW - who on here knew that Luego used to make some of the chassis' for Tiger ?

[Edited on 22/5/06 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Viper

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
If i knew then what I know now, there is no way on gods green earth i would have bought a Tiger..........

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like the look of the Tiger Avon but if we were to build another it would probably be another MK. Have a read of our build and re-build diaries to see how easy an MK goes together.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot to mention it. Bike engine

Phil

VanHaydn

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
prices!

shock from tiger £80.00 each....oh yes then ya pay vat and postage on top.....
set of shocks from rally design £227.00.....oh yes incuding vat but pay post....not to shoddy hey!....
then radiator from tiger £90.00 he he...plus vat on top....plus postage 10 qwid ...then wadda you know... vat on the postage cool hey!!!!!!(special thanx to the tiger crew)
polo rad on ebay...better qwality ali £40 with postage and vat!!!!!
the list goes on...so before you spend ya money at the tiger store...do some research on this very same website as you will save yourself thousands of pounds and you could build yourself one very nice car with all the goodies that you can buy here!
cheers mate and good luck!

Lightning

posted on 22/5/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Got to agree with the last post. I bought all parts from other sources as Tiger are not cheepest.(understatement)
If you want a car to bolt together get an MK
If you want to essentially make your car individual the Tiger is OK. I like the looks

BUT

Go for a bike engine! regardless

Steve

marc n

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
im with hellfire and lghtening deffo bike engine

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
You may want to have a look at MNR as well.
They have a fantastic product that includes quite alot in the starter kit that others don't.

ayoungman

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I must say that Tiger are pricey. The only things I've bought from them are Chassis,body and loom. After my bank account recovered, I bought other parts from other places.

I also like the look of an Avon, and I can only say that the people at Tiger have always been very helpful and friendly to me.

"just like that !"

gregory75

posted on 1/6/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
how about the Avon Classic kit featured on totalkitcar.com?

hi guys,

many of you say that Tigers are expensive. Then how about the Tiger Avon Classic kit featuring recently ( dec. 05) on totalkitcar? They claim that for £6000 you get a full kit including engine (Zetec 1.8).

What do you think, is there a catch somewhere? I'm not a builder, I'm doing my research for a kit so that's why I'm asking.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.