Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Current draw of 'boot poppers'?
RazMan

posted on 24/5/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Current draw of 'boot poppers'?

I'm going to fit a couple of these as remote door lock actuators in my middy (saves mechanical linkages etc) and wondered if anyone knows what current they draw to get a reliable action. I want to have the doors powered by a separate (small) battery which will be independent from the main battery and need to know how big it need to be.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
k33ts

posted on 24/5/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
there quite high dont know exact figures but i know they pop a 10amp fuse

tukcustoms.com

RazMan

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
10A EACH ?? !!

Looks like I might have to rethink

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ady8077

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Its probably the surge that blows a fuse, why do you want them off a secondary battery?

Adrian

RazMan

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I intend to use the battery cutoff switch when parked but if I close the doors with the power off I won't be able to get in the car.
I thought a secondary battery (the type used as backups in alarms) could be linked to the main one using a diode to stop it draining when the main one is switched off. That way I can always get in the car .............. which is nice

If they take 10A I might have to wire them direct to the main battery instead. Only drawback will be the flat battery scenario

Cheers,
Raz

k33ts

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
i take it your havin no door handles or locks and that when you say parked you mean left in the garage as the solenoid wont drain it.

the best way to get over the flat battery is to hide a socket maybe a cigarette type(hella do some nice waterproof ones) under or somewhere accesable but no visable.
itll be handy for say trickle charging when your not using motor and especially so if you get a flat battery.

hella blugs and sockets

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/shop_preview/products2.cfm?CatID=518

[Edited on 24/5/06 by k33ts]

tukcustoms.com

greggors84

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
You could run them off the same battery, and have the battery cut off switch isolating the rest of the electrics. Still would have a problem with the flat battery scenario though if you left the lights on etc.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

chockymonster

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
A friend had a similar setup, to get around the flat battery problem he had a a pp9 battery connector connected directly to the driver's door and hidden securely. A pp9 had enough juice to fire the door popper to let him in to the car.
RazMan

posted on 25/5/06 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Aha so it looks as though the 10A figure was a little ott to say the least - if a pp9 can operate a solenoid it can only be a few mA.
I think I will do as suggested and have a 12V socket discretely hidden somewhere for emergencies (and trickle charging) and have the solenoids bypassing the cutoff switch.

Thanks guys

[Edited on 25-5-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

ady8077

posted on 25/5/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Is it ok to have auto doors for SVA?

Adrian

stevebubs

posted on 25/5/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
TVR Chimaeras don't had door handles just buttons...
Crazy Jay

posted on 25/5/06 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
They wont pass mot normally. I know a guy who had to have a spare set of doors for his mot coz he had de-handled his car
RazMan

posted on 26/5/06 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm ... interesting - so how do Chimaeras pass mot I wonder?

[Edited on 26-5-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

ady8077

posted on 26/5/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I sva'd my stylus with no outer door handles, just internal ones, but i didn't have locks. SVA man never mentioned it

My stylus and TVR's are soft tops though, maybe that helps?

Adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.