Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: air box
Robert Ryan

posted on 27/5/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
air box

I am fitting a sock filter to me R1. at present it has a flat solid plate. After cutting the 4 holes, do I need to us any parts from the old R1 filter.also do I remove the rubber trumpets.
scoey m
Builder

Posts 209
Registered 8/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MNR Vortx r1(sva pass 07 plate yumyum)

posted on 27/5/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have fitted mnr filter to mine cut holes in base plate and sandwiched it between top ducts by removing the 8 screws and placing base in and then retighten all screws i didn,t use trumpets and don,t recall seeing any on marcs vortx either
Hope this helps

Winston Todge

posted on 28/5/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I am endeavouring to keep the standard R1 airbox and rubber trumpets and am having a custom built exhaust manifold 4-2-1 for my VortX.

The reason is that if you spend so much money and time on your car it would be little less satisfying to end up stangling it with a less efficient intake and exhaust system...

The very least that should be done is radiusing of the carb inlets where the rubber trumpets used to sit. But if you can retain the trumpets, it dramatically effects the bikes ability to flow air at lower revs. This is why I'm trying so hard to slightly mod my airbox and bonnet (bulge) to fit the standard airbox in. (If it's good enough for the RGB guys it's good enough for me!) (See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=39230)

As for the exhaust I am having an equal length 4-2-1 system custom built for it. It has been proven that a good 4-2-1 can boost low to mid range torque and provide the best overall driveability for a road car.

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 28/5/06 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge

As for the exhaust I am having an equal length 4-2-1 system custom built for it. It has been proven that a good 4-2-1 can boost low to mid range torque and provide the best overall driveability for a road car.

Chris.

Could you show us all the evidence you have to support this claim as many 4-2-1 systems out there are not equal length...

Steve

richijenkin

posted on 28/5/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Im using a tts sock filter and using the trumpets off the original airbox

[Edited on 28/5/06 by richijenkin]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bryan Sears

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Do you think this will work ok? Rescued attachment DSCF0003.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0003.JPG

RichieC

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Im sure it will aid in not sucking in as much hot air (providing it is fed as such) but it wont allow proper CAI as the box needs to be sealed. That will still suck under bonnet air.

There seems to be great mystery about how to succesfully fit the stock airbox. Ive heard different ways of doing it, but I cant see an easy way under the MNR bonnet.

Rgds

Rich

Meant to ask Bryan, could you get it to seal onto the underside of the bonnet? If so, feeding it with a scoop would constitute a proper cold air induction system.

[Edited on 28/5/06 by RichieC]

RichieC

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Meant to ask, scoey m etc - what size holes did you drill through the air filter back plate?
Rgds
Rich

Bryan Sears

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
How about this. Rescued attachment DSCF0034.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0034.JPG

RichieC

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, that would work.

Are you feeding it with fresh air from the front of the car rather than it sucking under bonnet air in?

Either way its going to improve noise for the SVA and providing the air entering it is cool enough, it will be better all round.

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 28/5/06 by RichieC]

Paul G

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget the cocktail sticks!
RichieC

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul G
Dont forget the cocktail sticks!

Is that to block up the air holes?

Heard various opinions about that, whats the thought behid it?

Rgds

Rich

scoey m
Builder

Posts 209
Registered 8/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MNR Vortx r1(sva pass 07 plate yumyum)

posted on 28/5/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi rich
Can't remember off hand but 65mm rings a bell all four filed by hand easy task

smart51

posted on 28/5/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
The cut off air box will have a smaller volume than the standard box. I believe that volume is important in tuned air systems. I don't know, though, what effect reducing the volume will have.

I have a foam filter without trumpets. I have an MNR exhaust. far from strangling the engine, I've had to up the fuelling to get it right. It would appear to be flowing more air than before.

RichieC

posted on 28/5/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoey m
Hi rich
Can't remember off hand but 65mm rings a bell all four filed by hand easy task

Thanks mate, bigger than I thought but i can pop the trumpets off easily and see for sure.

Thanks and Rgds

Rich

Winston Todge

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion is based on professional's opinions that I have sourced in the last few days...

I'm sorry if that offended anyone. But I have made the choice to take the opinion of these people as reliable. I am not in the position to start posting dyno print outs.

I am not saying that Marc's mainfolds are badly designed as on the same page he advertises the 325 quid unequal length manifolds he advertises a 600 quid 'equal' length race 4-2-1 manifold. It all depends on budget...

Don't take this as an arsey response. It's not meant that way.

Chris.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.