Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gluing marine ply to ali, what glue?
James

posted on 29/5/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Gluing marine ply to ali, what glue?

Not sure my dash is stiff enough. Thinking of gluing a sheet of marine ply to the back of it.

What sort of glue would you recomend? Is Impact Adhesive up to the job? The stuff in the red pots?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Viper

posted on 29/5/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
sikaflex would definatley do the job, bit pricey though..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 29/5/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
PU or epoxy

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DIY Si

posted on 29/5/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Slight hijack, but are there different types of sikaflex? If so, which types are suitable for what?
andylancaster3000

posted on 29/5/06 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've used some 'serious stuff' by Evostick from B+Q. I think it may be a cheap PU adhesive. Bonds most materials apparently and pretty cheap.

Andy

Viper

posted on 29/5/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Slight hijack, but are there different types of sikaflex? If so, which types are suitable for what?

only ever seen/used the one...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 29/5/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Evo-Stik impact would be ideal. or just use spray adhesive, the one carpet fitters use. Put a thin film on both surfaces and let it go off then whack it together but make sure you get it in the right place as you won't get a second go if the surfaces are good.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 29/5/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Evo-Stik impact would be ideal. or just use spray adhesive, the one carpet fitters use. Put a thin film on both surfaces and let it go off then whack it together but make sure you get it in the right place as you won't get a second go if the surfaces are good.

Many years ago I my father did an emmergency storm damage repair on a carvan, he stuck a square of hardboard on to a door with evostick impact ---- wasn't half effective.

Syd Bridge

posted on 29/5/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
James, You still doing work for the car mob? Maybe you could get them to laminate a bit of hex cell and a layer of kevlar on the back, to form a nice sandwich. Little side job for the laminating lads.

Cheers,
Syd.

Chippy

posted on 29/5/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have used just PU wood glue, and believe me, you wouldn't want to try and get it apart. Sticks like s**t to a blanket.
DarrenW

posted on 30/5/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si

only ever seen/used the one...

Sikeflex is a tradename. Very common so often gets used as the generic name for PU adhesive. There are several makes around. Wurth bond and seal is very good (very possibly sikaflex in a wurth tube). There are some cheaper brands which are ok for most applications. For applications that are structural or you dont want to risk a problem (ie bonding cycle wings) id go for the better more expensive named brands.

James id be tempted to use PU. At least it doesne get affected by dampness.

lexi

posted on 30/5/06 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
The Sikaflex sold in panel shops and yacht chandlers is high modulous PU and has a quick cure time which is what enables it to be used as an adhesive. Builders PU is normally low mod and slower curing time as well as being cheaper. Prolly cos it aint made by a Swiss company who like to keep their country clean by manufacturing in more needy countries
Alex

[Edited on 30/5/06 by lexi]

James

posted on 2/6/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone.

I've got a cheap PU version so I'll give that a go I guess.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
There's a Sikaflex builders' adhesive that I use - it's black, very sticky, and very good at holding stuff together... rather like classic PU sealant.

Can't remember its reference number just now, but it cost me around £5 for 2 tubes, in a paint supply shop (not a cheap place!).

David

snapper

posted on 22/6/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Car builder solutions 7.50 a tube and i love the stuff, seals, sticks and bonds. I always have a tube hanging about.
iank

posted on 22/6/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
What about this stuff?

From screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A436119&ts=07795&id=22070

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.