Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wireless Network Again....
Hellfire

posted on 30/5/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless Network Again....

I'm looking for good advice regarding adapting (yet again) a good reliable wireless network in my home. As technology has moved on so much in the last year I'm hoping I can find something reliable without going hard-wire.

I'm considering a NetGear DG834G Router and respective USB WiFi Dongle (if not already WiFi) for the laptop - question is, will it be reliable? I'm fed up and skint of installing soft and hardware with a promise of reliability and it failing.

Tell me - what do I need?

Your assistance would be invaluable. TIA

Steve

[Edited on 30-5-06 by Hellfire]

MAB

posted on 30/5/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps, I've used a linksys wag54gs since Christmas with no problems at all. It was on offer in PC world for £54.99 inc wireless dongle. Bought it to be compatable with xbox 360 as had disasterous results with the previous Belkin one...

Works with both of my Laptops - one IBM built in WIFI and another with BT Voyager PCMCIA card.

Not had any problems personally and I've only ever lost connectivity when I'm sat with the Microwave going between the Laptop and the router!

I know there are even faster speed ones on the market now but its unlikely you will be transferring 54 mb across and internal network though...

Good luck with finding something reliable!

Regards, Mark.

greggors84

posted on 31/5/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
At home we use a Belkin 54g Wireless Router and its rubbish, once you have a connection its fine, but when you turn a computer on you normally have to reset the router or wait ages for it to connect, we though it was the broadband company at first, but have now changed and still having the problems, but not quite as frequent.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

muzchap

posted on 31/5/06 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
We exclusively use the Netgear ones...

I've had a Belkin - it was rubbish - sold it and got a Netgear.

Linksys used to be good - but have turned shocking.

So Netgear the way forward - Get the ultra fast dual 54g transmission rate one

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

Danozeman

posted on 31/5/06 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a linksys kit from pcworld monday. 70 quid. Come with the router and a wireless card. Piece of wee to set up. Works fine and the range is good. It doesnt stick out of my laptop as far as some so less likely to hit it,. Think the model is wag354.

I was advised not to use a usb dongle as it sticks out too far from the laptop and get easily damaged. Also theyr not as good range as a pc card.

[Edited on 31/5/06 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

BKLOCO

posted on 31/5/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Funnyhow different people have different experiences.
I've been running Belkin 54g wireless router for 18 months with no problems

I think it helps to have the wireless cards from the same manufacturer as the wireless hub.
There do seem to be some compatibillity problems although in theory there shouldn't be.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Scotty

posted on 31/5/06 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
stay with netgear , good choice
we've supplied lots of belkin's only problem was the transformer on one went pop, belkin sent replacement, sorted
linksys seems to be a bit tacky which is surprising as they are part of cisco!

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

Humbug

posted on 31/5/06 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree about it being better to get the router and the card from the same manufacturer - makes life easier for setup, etc.

I have a Linksys wireless modem/router (WAG354G) + laptop card - £39.99 in the PC World New Year offers! - and they have been fine so far.

I have also subsequently set it up with my work laptop (with built-in wireless of a different make) and that worked fine too to access internet, as well as see other PCs on the network, share printer, etc.

Marcus

posted on 31/5/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I use a Linksys router and had a nightmare setting it up!
Thanks to a few chaps on here, I got it working eventually - had to disable DHCP and set IP addresses manually, AND turn firewall off for the connection. Still, it works fine now but I wish I'd bought one with a modem built in.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 31/5/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I always use 3Com Routers and 3Com USB /PCMCIA cards for laptops, with all my customers. (available from Komplett.co.uk)

Are you with NTL? If so, make sure you buy a DSL router instead of ADSL!

esn163

posted on 31/5/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

We use the Netgear DG834G and have never had any major problems with it since we started leaving it switched on all the time. Before, it would drop connections occasionally but none of then seem to work well when you do this. Wireless coverage is good and I can access it in the garage, outside and even next door. Security also works very well on it. When we bought ours, PC World did a package for £10 cheaper than the normal one that had a free 802.11g dongle with it anyway (not too sure if you can still get it).

HTH

Ed

HTH

Ed

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TPG

posted on 31/5/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Try this one.Good web support,i've had no botherEBUYER

..Which was nice..

Big Jim

posted on 31/5/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a Wierless setup that will work
You want a Cisco 1100 AP Cisco 1801 Router or I am fairly sure there is an 800 series with built in wireless and maybe some Cisco WIFI Nic’s.
“I will sing it praises to the end of the earth about the same distance as its range”
But if you have a price limit.
I would recommend one of the new linksys AP's they now seem to work well (didn’t used to) they were bought by out Cisco about 6-12 months ago you probably would be well advised look for one with super G.
Also another thing if you are lucky enough to live in a massive house and don’t fancy a Cisco Price tag you can bridge Linksys AP Wirelessly this will nearly double the range of your WIFI.
Cheers

James

Looking 4 A Place To Build...
(kingston/Richmond)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.