Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Type 9 Starter Motor
Chris.B

posted on 31/5/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Type 9 Starter Motor

On my 1st full run out after a winter rebuild (to swap an MT75 box for a Type 9), I've just mashed my starter motor. Having got it out it seems to have not withdrawn fully & remained engaged & hence rotated to death by the flywheel. There's plenty of evidence of it having been damaged severly (see links to pics & vid below).
Starter damage video
Flywheel pic1
Flywheel pic 2
Starter damage pic 3
Starter damage pic 4

Having rotated the engine by hand, the flywheel looks ok to me thank goodness. Looking at the two starters I have to hand I measured the distance from the face of the starter (ie where it mates with the bellhousing) to the end of the shaft (ie the full distance the starter cog can throw out). The one I fitted to my BGH box was 40mm. With my MT75 box starter I replaced (same flywheel & engine etc), the corresponding distance was 29mm. I also measured the distance from the bellhousing to the face of the flywheel - this was 18mm. Hence the "original" starter does seem to be the correct gap. So my diagnosis is that failure was caused by the wrong starter being fitted & staying engaged. The original (on the MT75) starter is a Bosch 0001108110 which cross references to a Lucas LRS760. I don't know what the broken starter is / was, since the markings are not discernable.

So now I'm looking now to get a new replacement. Searching here I've seen various people have used a Lucas LRS707, some have used a LRS543 and others the Ford part 5027664.

Trouble is I can't see anywhere what the "throw" distance is for an LRS707. I don't want to get one only to find it's the wrong distance. Does anybody have an LRS707 out of the car & could measure this distance?

I was wondering what the current view on the "best" one available is for a Type 9 (BGH), 2L Zetec, & 1.8 Lightened FlyWheel? I also see Brise make one model # V1014 - is this the correct one for my setup? So I don't know what motor to get. Thoughts & recommendations gratefully accepted.
Cheers
Chris

andyharding

posted on 31/5/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Oops.

Look here:-

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=16616

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Chris.B

posted on 31/5/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy
Certainly seems the LRS707 is the one to go for. I'm looking to see if anyone has one out of a car & can measure the throw distance
Seen in other thread you mentioned 'Cargo' as a supplier, who are they? Got a clicky?
Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 31/5/06 by Chris.B]

BKLOCO

posted on 31/5/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you had the return spring in the starter solenoid? and that it was not broken?
It looks as though you still have the solenoid connected in which case the gear should NOT be forward unless energised but you are pulling it back and forth with your finger in the vid. You shouldn't be able to do that.
If the spring is not there then the gear would have had nothing to return it to its "rest" position and it would have stayed engaged in the ring gear.
If this is the case you probably had the correct starter in the first place.
If you did then you should be able to purchase a new gear for it.

[Edited on 31-5-06 by BKLOCO]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

andyharding

posted on 31/5/06 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris.B
Thanks Andy
Certainly seems the LRS707 is the one to go for. I'm looking to see if anyone has one out of a car & can measure the throw distance
Seen in other thread you mentioned 'Cargo' as a supplier, who are they? Got a clicky?
Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 31/5/06 by Chris.B]

I don't have the measurements to hand but checked the throw was right before fitting. Also, used jumper cables to turn the motor over and make sure it engaged/disengaged correctly.

Cargo is a local motor factors. No web site I know of.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Chris.B

posted on 31/5/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
Are you sure you had the return spring in the starter solenoid? and that it was not broken?

Yes , I bench tested it before it went in. The vid is after it's been mangled about - the thing was glowing almost blue hot so I'm not too surprised it's a mess

Chris_G

posted on 31/5/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Chris,

I just found THIS thread which has a picture of a LRS707 with dimensions! If the picture is correct then your 'Zetec to type 9' was too long.

Looks like yours could be an LRS543 which is shown as longer at the bottom of page 2 of that thread?

Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 31/5/06 by Chris_G]

Now finished! Xflow-Zetec swap with GSXR TB's and Megasquirt.

Chris.B

posted on 31/5/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_G
Hey Chris,

I just found THIS thread which has a picture of a LRS707 with dimensions! If the picture is correct then your 'Zetec to type 9' was too long.

Looks like yours could be an LRS543 which is shown as longer at the bottom of page 2 of that thread?

That's it !! From the dimensions in that thread my "dead" one did seem to be an LRS543. So as it was 12mm too long that's clearly why it was eaten
The dimensions of the LRS707 seem spot on, so that's the thing to go for.
BTW I put my old MT75 starter (LRS760) in this afternoon (but the solenoid hangs low) just to satisfy myself that everything still works - it did thank goodness.

stevebubs

posted on 31/5/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps, I've been using a 1.8 CVH Sierra Starter for 18 months with no problems.

No idea on the model number, though.

Markp

posted on 31/5/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad someone found my old thread. saves me posting the pictures again

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.