Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing front discs - how do you do it?
Chris.B

posted on 4/6/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Removing front discs - how do you do it?

I have this weekend unsuccessfully tried to remove the front discs from my Westfield to replace with Cross Drilled discs. I'm obviously doing something wrong but can't see what & don't want to force things.

I've removed the disc calipers and the large 15/16 inch nut from the rear of the uprights. As the alloy upright is in the way I can't get to the 4 bolts with locktabs (looks like 15mm) that hold the disc to the hub, so was hoping that having undone the rear larger nut, that the hub & disc assembly would come off the bearing. However it's dead tight. Some gentle prizing doesn't budge it & I'm not keen on going any further in case I'm doing something wildly wrong.

So, does anybody have any idea on the correct way to remove the disc?

flak monkey

posted on 4/6/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Undo the hub nut thats on the front of the hub. Will be under a pressed steel cover. Hub will slide straight off. I am assuming you have alloy cortina uprights?

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

britishtrident

posted on 4/6/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Put the nut at the back of the upright back on before doing anything else !

Prise off the outer dust cap and you will find a large nut with either a split pin or a locking tab, deal with which ever locking method is used then undo the nut and its washers and remove the hub catching the wheel bearing in a clean lint free cloth.

Refiiting require setting the wheel bearing with some running clearance --- it really might be best to leave this job to someone who understands how to adjust tapper roller wheel bearings correctly as this adjustment is safety critical.

[Edited on 4/6/06 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 4/6/06 by britishtrident]

Chris.B

posted on 5/6/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Undo the hub nut thats on the front of the hub. Will be under a pressed steel cover. Hub will slide straight off. I am assuming you have alloy cortina uprights?

David

Mine are the Westfield alloy uprights.
To get the steel dust cover cap thing off, do you just prize it out with a screwdriver?

flak monkey

posted on 5/6/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, a bit of judicious prising and tapping should see it come off.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.